Old 10 November 2009, 19:15   #1

Town: Connecticut
Make: Avon FRB380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 6hp
Glue question

Just wanted to see what you sib'ers on this site think about the various glues available for hypalon. I need to do some repair work on my Avon S400.

I understand that catalyzed glues are preferable for better bond strength. Here in the US there seem to be 2 glues available that use catalysts. One is made by Bostik, the other by Clifton. If I remember right, Avon uses Bostik to build their boats, so I'm tempted to buy the Bostik, but I've had others tell me that Clifton is the way to go. I know of a whitewater raft manufacturer that uses Clifton to build their rafts, so it is probably good stuff.

Any of you guys have any experience with these?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 10 November 2009, 19:42   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Only ever used Bostik and never had any trouble with it.
Old 11 November 2009, 15:33   #3

Town: mexico
Make: avon
Engine: 15 hp mariner 2 s
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Just wanted to see what you sib'ers on this site think about the various glues available for hypalon. I need to do some repair work on my Avon S400.

I understand that catalyzed glues are preferable for better bond strength. Here in the US there seem to be 2 glues available that use catalysts. One is made by Bostik, the other by Clifton. If I remember right, Avon uses Bostik to build their boats, so I'm tempted to buy the Bostik, but I've had others tell me that Clifton is the way to go. I know of a whitewater raft manufacturer that uses Clifton to build their rafts, so it is probably good stuff.

Any of you guys have any experience with these?

Thanks,
Greg
Hi Greg

I own an avon s400 too and i bought the two parts hypalon glue made by weaver (made in england) and seems to be good, you are right avon built their boats using bostik but is not available in mexico, i think the must important is to read and folow step by step the gluing instructions
Old 11 November 2009, 23:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirssant View Post
Hi Greg

I own an avon s400 too and i bought the two parts hypalon glue made by weaver (made in england) and seems to be good, you are right avon built their boats using bostik but is not available in mexico, i think the must important is to read and folow step by step the gluing instructions
Could you post some pics of your floor boards as installed in the boat? I'm missing parts for mine and I'd like to see what I need.

How long have you had your S400?
Old 11 November 2009, 23:31   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Last repair I did, I used Weaver polyurethane. Worked quite well (although I should add that I was gluing hypalon to aluminum.) Obtained through a local Zodiac dealer. Weaver also makes a standard hypalon glue, as well as a PVC glue, I think. The PU stuff I used is supposed to be a "universal" adhesive.

My builder expressed reservations about using Clifton, though he didn't say exactly what it was he didn't like. Should you need larger quantities or need a source, NRS has a very good reputaion for price and speed of delivery (at nrsweb.com)

I am curious as to what Bostik adhesive you've located, and if you actually have a source. As far as I'm aware, Bostik 2402 is not available in the US.

jky
Old 13 November 2009, 12:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post

I am curious as to what Bostik adhesive you've located, and if you actually have a source. As far as I'm aware, Bostik 2402 is not available in the US.

jky

JKY,

Clavey river equipment, a rafting outfitter, sells Bostik 2402. They sell Avon rafts, so they may have a special deal to bring Bostik into the US. Try this link:

http://www.clavey.com/index.php?manu...3ldhnuieptmg13

They are located in California.

Greg
Old 14 November 2009, 19:30   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Thanks, Entropy;

Had browsed their site a while back before and must have missed it.

jky
Old 20 November 2009, 02:19   #8

Town: mexico
Make: avon
Engine: 15 hp mariner 2 s
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
JKY,

Clavey river equipment, a rafting outfitter, sells Bostik 2402. They sell Avon rafts, so they may have a special deal to bring Bostik into the US. Try this link:

http://www.clavey.com/index.php?manu...3ldhnuieptmg13

They are located in California.

Greg
Hi Greg

I own my s400 about 25 years ago i post some pics of the complete floor out of the boat as soon as i assambly into the sib i ll send you some pics.

Sant
Old 20 November 2009, 21:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirssant View Post
Hi Greg

I own my s400 about 25 years ago i post some pics of the complete floor out of the boat as soon as i assambly into the sib i ll send you some pics.

Sant
Thank you Sant. Seeing the floor completely installed would be a great help to me. I want to have this boat ready for spring.

Greg