Old 27 July 2012, 11:05   #1

Town: te awamutu
Boat name: na
Make: aqua marina
Length: under 3m
Engine: electric
Getting out of a Sib.

After two weeks with a 9' inflatable, I reckon the hardest skill, I've had to learn was getting out of the damn thing.

I am not talking about stepping out onto a flat beach, but getting out onto a bank.

Last week I was at a small lake, and coming into the shore, I had a soft grass bank to step out on to. The bank was too high to row the nose of the boat up onto and the water too deep to stand in. I came along side and reached out with my right foot on to the bank. As I went to step onto the bank, I felt the boat move out from the bank, as my weight was still on my left leg. I had to throw my weight onto my right leg. Got there but felt a thigh muscle tear doing so.

Bloody painfull, then had to drag the inflatable up a 30 metre slope, deflate it, roll it up, throw into the van, mostly on one leg, then drive 90 minutes home. Not much fun.

I'm going to look at how I could've done things better. I now have a third telescopic paddle, which, if I had've had at the time, I could have driven into the grass bank and used that as an anchor point to take my weight as I stepped out. Found another way to disembark today. The shoreline was a gentle slope so I turned the boat around, backed in then stepped over the transom. No problem if the water is shallow, and I wasn't trying to reach out to step over the side tube.

Anybody got any tips for getting onto a bank, when in deeper water, and you dont want your weight pushing the boat away as you transfer your weight on to the shoreline?
Old 27 July 2012, 13:10   #2

Town: Kinross
Boat name: Spindrift
Make: Zodiac Futura FR Mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20hp two stroke Yam
Use your anchor to secure yourself to the bank if no other tie up points are available. If there are two of you onboard, you could maintain power to hold you against the bank as your crew jumps ashore - assuming you have the depth for the engine.
Old 27 July 2012, 14:07   #3

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Bum first.

Sit on the edge of the boat, with your backside on the tube, and use your arms to take your weight onto the bank. The boat will move away, but you'll be up, hopefully without a dislocated shoulder - that hurts too, trust me.

Hope the leg fixes soon.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 15:29   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Bum first.

Sit on the edge of the boat, with your backside on the tube, and use your arms to take your weight onto the bank. The boat will move away, but you'll be up, hopefully without a dislocated shoulder - that hurts too, trust me.

Hope the leg fixes soon.
Yup, works for me. Hold the painter
Old 27 July 2012, 16:38   #5

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
If its a soft bank a metal tent peg is handy to hammer in and secure up to better still is two .Safest way is a 2 point mooring fore and aft .

A boat hook is usefull or something like an old ice axe on a short pole the local chandlers used to sell Rhond anchors for use on canal or river banks just like an old style (Popeye ) type but with only one fluke so that when it's stuck in the ground there is nothing stuck up to trip anyone walking past.
Old 27 July 2012, 20:26   #6

Town: te awamutu
Boat name: na
Make: aqua marina
Length: under 3m
Engine: electric
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
If its a soft bank a metal tent peg is handy to hammer in and secure up to better still is two .Safest way is a 2 point mooring fore and aft .

A boat hook is usefull or something like an old ice axe on a short pole the local chandlers used to sell Rhond anchors for use on canal or river banks just like an old style (Popeye ) type but with only one fluke so that when it's stuck in the ground there is nothing stuck up to trip anyone walking past.
I have looked at modifying my spare paddle so as to have a fold out spike, similar to a ice axe.( or replace it with a multi purpose paddle/boathook combo). Could then run my painter from the front, around the spike and to the transom to secure the boat at two points. Sounds complicated, but I'm sure a system can be worked out to be quick and safe.

When you cannot secure the boat on the hard before stepping out, a safe method is needed.

The torn muscle was good for 5 days off work.
Old 27 July 2012, 20:48   #7

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Get some 10mm bar turn the ends to attach rope and bend about 8" over to push in the bank.