Old 08 November 2010, 17:53   #1

Town: Western Mass
Boat name: Typhoon
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 hp Yamaha
Gas tank question.

I have a Avon Typhoon S4.6. I recently got a newer motor. 2004 Yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke.
I need to get a gas tank for this set up. Online I have seen 6 gallon tanks that are made to fit in the bow of the boat. I like the idea of the gas tank in the bow as I Scuba dive out of the boat and need all the room I can get.
My questions is can I put the gas tank in the bow and run a 3-4 meter hose back to the motor? I have an aluminum floor and would consider running the line under the floor?
Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08 November 2010, 21:46   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I'd advise you run the hose above the deck, to prevent it getting snagged/pinched/damaged. The distance from the bow to the outboard is not a problem. You'll probably need to fix some lashing points on the deck, for securing the tank, otherwise it will slide all over the place.
Old 08 November 2010, 22:39   #3

Town: Western Mass
Boat name: Typhoon
Make: Avon
Engine: 25 hp Yamaha
So the distance would not be a problem, that is good news. My thought on putting the gas line below the floor was to keep it from being damaged by scuba tanks, etc. I just replaced the floor and it looks like a safe place for a gas line. Of course I have never had my head down there when the boat is operating to see what goes on. I was more concerned with the gas line sitting in the salt water that always collects beneath the floorboard.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 08 November 2010, 23:01   #4

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
It should sit nicely between the tube and the deck. You could run it through some plastic conduit or alkathene pipe, to be super safe.
Old 10 November 2010, 16:34   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Another option for covering/protecting the hose are the cord treads used to cover power cables that are placed over walkways. Might want to glue or screw it down, but should work nicely to prevent major damage to the fuel hose. No idea how long it will last in sun and water; but replacement should be easy enough that it doesn't matter all that much.

jky
Old 10 November 2010, 22:54   #6

Town: Victoria
Boat name: Further
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50hp 4 strk Yamaha
remote gas tank in bow

Hello kingbiscuitboy, I have Bombard 5.0m that I have done just what you are proposing. I have 5 gal tank in my anchor locker. I ran coast guard approved heavy duty 3/8” fuel line. The fuel line was more $$, but I was assured by the supplier it was what should be used. I also have deck tank ahead of the consol. Both run back to a water separator/filter assly. I ran a remote vent of the bow tank gas cap to allow the fumes to escape on deck; rather than build in the locker and have them make their way through the hull hollows. I ran the setup this past summer with no issues. My only complaint was when I had to finesse the anchor out for use. I am rethinking the whole thing over the winter, but it is nice to have the tank stowed away. Deck space is a preium on the samller boats.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbiscuitboy View Post
I have a Avon Typhoon S4.6. I recently got a newer motor. 2004 Yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke.
I need to get a gas tank for this set up. Online I have seen 6 gallon tanks that are made to fit in the bow of the boat. I like the idea of the gas tank in the bow as I Scuba dive out of the boat and need all the room I can get.
My questions is can I put the gas tank in the bow and run a 3-4 meter hose back to the motor? I have an aluminum floor and would consider running the line under the floor?
Thanks
Old 11 November 2010, 15:02   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Rick;

Does that mean that your tank is now "built in" per the CG view (I assume the Canadian regs are similar to the US regs)?

If so, it will also mandate the carrying of a fire extinguisher.

jky
Old 29 December 2010, 14:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbiscuitboy View Post
Thanks
i'm doing something similar with my zodiac futura mark III. i just put a 40 HP on my boat and I'm interested in getting as much weight forward as possible to avoid the bow from raising too high and so that I can get on plane faster. I opted to purchase a 12 gallon tank from Defender: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...0754&id=939328

i'm going to lash it to the bow area that is just in front of where my aluminum flooring stops. i'll likely screw some lash points into the wood and then strap the tank down with some nylon strapping. my fuel line will stay above the flooring because I want to be sure that I have access to it. i'm not sure exactly how i'm going to secure it in the corner of the flooring, but there is plenty of room for the tubing there. it shouldn't be abused much at all.
Old 29 December 2010, 15:25   #9

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Don't just screw the mounts to the floor. Through bolt them. A full 12 gallon tank up front does put a load on the straps.
Old 19 January 2011, 19:04   #10

Town: Quebec city
Make: Zodiac hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Rick;

Does that mean that your tank is now "built in" per the CG view (I assume the Canadian regs are similar to the US regs)?

If so, it will also mandate the carrying of a fire extinguisher.

jky
Nope they are not the same in Canada, fuel tank can be built-in or not. It depends on the "powerplant" you have. If you have an inboard motor you have to carry a fire extinguisher. If you have only an outboard, you don't need a fire extinguisher.

If you also have a stove and/or a freezer and/or heater and/or AC in cabin you'll need a second fire extinguisher.

Also the size of the fire extinguisher will depend on the size of the boat.
educhesne@blyacht.com
achille2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2011, 23:09   #11

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0976claxton View Post
i'm doing something similar with my zodiac futura mark III. i just put a 40 HP on my boat and I'm interested in getting as much weight forward as possible to avoid the bow from raising too high and so that I can get on plane faster. I opted to purchase a 12 gallon tank from Defender: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...0754&id=939328

i'm going to lash it to the bow area that is just in front of where my aluminum flooring stops. i'll likely screw some lash points into the wood and then strap the tank down with some nylon strapping. my fuel line will stay above the flooring because I want to be sure that I have access to it. i'm not sure exactly how i'm going to secure it in the corner of the flooring, but there is plenty of room for the tubing there. it shouldn't be abused much at all.
Hello mate

A brimmed 12 gallon tank fitted that far forward would create a huge amount of inertia when things get bumpy at speed. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just going on a few experiences we've had in the same boat.

We completely ripped out the webbing straps on a Zodiac bow bag once. It contained all our anchoring gear - pretty damned heavy - but not quite the 50kg's, or so, I'd expect your tank to weigh.

I'd be careful. ;-)

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote