Old 15 February 2019, 11:04   #21

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevpiee View Post
He gave me a deal on a hypalon boat... only catch was the material he had left is yellow So I am going yellow with black trim. I'm still undecided on power. I am big on portability and packability. Really thinking about the yami f25.. only weighs 130lbs

Is that the 3.8m in yellow hypalon?
Rather than the 4.1m

Old 15 February 2019, 12:50   #22

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflhat View Post
That will look smart, you should call it Bumblebee
I think after a while you will get bored and want more power, they raced them with Yamaha F40's in France for a while.
When don't you want more speed?
I worked out how to handle the weight of the motor with out it being a hastle. I have a folding trailer and a cheap electric hoist i hang from my garage door arch. I spend 1 hour building my boat completely ready to go, on the trailer. This I can store in my garage all summer then dismantle in fall and its gone till summer again. I could do this for individual boating trips too but I go out for 2-3 days at a time. Not for the afternoon like he might.
Now for me I had a 40 on mine the first year and it was a big disappointment.
I sold it (thank god it was used when I bought it) and bought a 60 etec. Now I love my boat.

All that said, Roflhat, the spec sheet on the SurfCat says 130lbs is max engine weight.
Have you seen a 50hp with the 130lbs weight limit? My motor is 240lbs same as 40 & 50hp etec. Just at Futura max weight.
And I looked at the 2018 Yamaha lineup and don't see the Square cowled models all you guys run. Is that an older model that the Holy Grail of racing outboards?

Old 16 February 2019, 04:32   #23

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
I've never seen the Surfcat spec sheet say 130lb or any weight I don't think, on the Ceasar site it says max 70hp.
The tohatsu 50d2 is 72kg in short shaft, the yamaha 50 2 stroke will be around the same, my 70ces will be slightly heavier but not much with the electric start, power trim etc. all removed. You can still get the Tohatsu and Yamaha 50 2 stroke new but only for commercial or racing use over here anyway. I think used ones are a lot harder to come by over in the states, especially the tohatsu. For racing you really want the simplicity and light weight of the yamaha or tohatsu, if you flip they are easy to get going again