Old 26 September 2018, 17:49   #1

Town: Sandy
Make: Zodiac Cadet 285 FR
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 6HP
Futura question

Hi

Just doing some research regarding a new SIB.

In applying comparisons re price/quality/size/weight/helpful dealer etc, the wildcard seems to be the Futura, which has the USP of its side mounted tubes, but is expensive compared to, say, a Zodiac Classic of similar size.

The big question here is does the unique hull design actually confer any advantages?

The fact that other manufacturers haven't offered anything similar leaves me doubtful.

Thanks

Pete
Old 26 September 2018, 20:24   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I know I keep answering the question that's not quite the one you asked but...

>>>The fact that other manufacturers haven't offered anything similar leaves me doubtful.

The same could be said of the Aerotec which has a massive price premium over a Honwave yet has never been copied... but for those who it suits as it does us it's a unique SIB.

And I'd guess the same is true of the Futura.You only have to see one skimming on its speed tubes to see they are something special.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Futura.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	127016  
Old 26 September 2018, 21:35   #3

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
I have recently changed to a Futura. But haven't done any long trips yet to give feedback on reduced fuel use.

I can say they turn on a sixpence compared to a usual sib with a sausage keel. They also do seem to ride up on these speed tubes when on the plane. This must help with less contact with the water. Zodiac think so lol.

Added complexity adds cost though and probably isn't really needed unless you want to go fast or turn quickly.

Do Zodiac have a patent on the speed tubes?
Old 27 September 2018, 07:11   #4

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
Same basic principle as a zapcat/thundercat, although maybe a bit extreme depending on what you want. Maybe worth looking at the Ceasar Surfcat, it's a phenominal sea boat with excellent performance. The speed tubes mean lower fuel consumption once you're on the plane, and in choppy water you ride on the cushion of air between the two hulls, makes for a much more comfortable ride.
Old 27 September 2018, 09:09   #5

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Have you got any more news/pics of your mates black Caesar surfcat? I dont think it was in the water last time I asked
Old 27 September 2018, 15:18   #6

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
Yeh it's going well, he had it out and was pleased with the performance. I took it for a spin, thought it was too slow, had a look and it was only firing on 2 cylinders, new plug and the performance was more like it should be!

I sold him a 14G Yamaha semi cleaver, absolutely spot on for that setup. Lovely boat, very happy with how it goes now. No more photos of it sadly, I'll try get some next time
Old 27 September 2018, 20:02   #7

Town: Sandy
Make: Zodiac Cadet 285 FR
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 6HP
Thanks All

P
Old 28 September 2018, 16:04   #8

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter2673 View Post
Hi

Just doing some research regarding a new SIB.

In applying comparisons re price/quality/size/weight/helpful dealer etc, the wildcard seems to be the Futura, which has the USP of its side mounted tubes, but is expensive compared to, say, a Zodiac Classic of similar size.

The big question here is does the unique hull design actually confer any advantages?

The fact that other manufacturers haven't offered anything similar leaves me doubtful.

Thanks

Pete
I have a futura and many years ago I had an Avon Spitfire "1985".
The futura has the speed tubes that are patented. The idea of the boat riding up on them causing less drag and more steering control. This is sort of true. The boat really docent fully lift up on the speed tubes. The main tubes are 1/2 way out of the water even with a max outboard. If you have the max hp and your boat is light perhaps it would lift more. But steering is quick! they help you track strait when pulling a wakeboard, and turn sharp.
That said I kinda miss the side slide of the traditional hull but the speed of the futura is real nice as well.
Another benefit of the futura is the way it handles chop. The tubes & keel really soften the jolts of rough water. That alone may make the cost worth it.
The slower you go the less the benefit. So if your maxing the HP it has more benefit, carry-able outboards will not lift on the tubes at all.
Setup a demo. My dealer of my first inflatable set me up with a customer who was willing to take me out for a reasonable fee. If I bought the boat the fee would be covered by the dealer. That was fair enough for me.