Old 09 June 2017, 19:48   #1

Town: northampton
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 stroke
futura mk2 questions

After a long search have managed to get myself a reasonable mk2 futura with a 40hp mariner, the engine is in good condition and fully serviced all its life, only got the boat today and its never been taken apart in 5 years so thought I would just check everything out removed seats, console, engine and started to lift the floor and discovered it had rotted away down one side and seemed distorted also there was about a hundred weight of gravel under the floor, could someone tell me if the 2 wooden sections are supposed to be shaped/bent in certain areas or these are just warped also in my haste to get everything packed away I managed to put 2 small holes in the left tube I think its a pvc material if someone could clarify if so can I diy the holes they are only 1-2mm in diameter with a repair kit from polymarine ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170609_203012_resized.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	119978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170609_203051_resized.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	119979  
Old 09 June 2017, 20:32   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Pretty sure the floor should be level. If it's been outside then there's a good chance the ply bow section is waterlogged and has deformed. Should be straight-forward if you need to remake as you can use existing board for template.

Yes, leisure Futuras are PVC. It's all about preparation on repair. Choose a decent dry warm day with plenty ventilation.
Old 09 June 2017, 21:43   #3

Was stored in a barn but did notice all the photos the owner had the boat sat on its trailer with its bow lower than the stern so any water from the days use would not drain out perhaps, I think they should be flat but they look to perfectly formed
Old 10 June 2017, 10:04   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Bummer, I think the floor should be flat the curve may not effect performance and replacement panels/floor should be available from zodiac, might be worth using as is his season and keeping an eye out for,a second hand floor. The PVC should be easily patched just make sure you use the correct primers and glue. PVC or Hypalon? | Polymarine Paints, Adhesives, Parts & Accessories
Old 10 June 2017, 21:43   #5

bummer indeed cleaned the whole boat today I don't think it had been cleaned for years its now red, unfortunately I have since found that the 3 patches that are already on it are leaking and the left hand tube cone is leaking air from its joint to the main tube so its slightly more than I'm willing to tackle need a recommended boat repairer within a reasonable distance of Northants ?, as far as the floor goes its mush all down one side so cant even use it , I think the glue has gone off and may cause me a lot of issues as it was ok blown up on the trailer once deflated the leaks started to show up, just worried now that its not going to be fit for purpose as the idea was to deflate and pack away at the end of each season.
Old 10 June 2017, 22:14   #6

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Sounds like it needs a bit of tlc but once sorted should be fine, can't help with a recommendation in Northants but I'm sure there will be someone
Old 15 June 2017, 15:28   #7

Town: Galway
Boat name: Lucky
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
I have a 4.2M Mark 2 Futura. Yes, these boards should be flat but mine are also buckled to hell and I am replacing them this year. I have rough sizes being sawn in half inch marine ply and will finish cut then add 2 layers of clear epoxy then paint or other to finish. The buckling has actually led to some seams becoming loose so I will need to glue. I am using Polymarine 2-part adhesive for all PVC to PVC joints, and HH 66 Vinyl cement for any timber to PVC joints. Recommend you read polymarine advice page for all data on what to use. Cleaning off all old glue is an absolute MUST as is glue being applied in a no humidity environment. I am running a dehumidifier in shed for several days before glue application
Old 15 June 2017, 15:29   #8

I start to apply glue in the coming days as right now my SIB is almost fully apart including the entire transom off the boat
Old 15 June 2017, 16:26   #9

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
It's a tough call to make but sometimes you have to take it on the chin or at least try for some recompense and sell on what is good and start again, happened to note this today on the daily eBay scan for a 25hp engine, looks a superb outfit:

Zodiac Futura Mk2 GT plus Engine and Accessories | eBay
Old 15 June 2017, 19:27   #10

Thanks simzpilot I thought they should be flat its just they were so uniformly bent it looked factory !. I have also bought the marine ply and am going to replace the floor sections myself what are you using to attach the aluminium joiners to the floor sections, I was thinking of ct1 or Sikaflex adhesive ?.
As far as my seams and floor they are not as bad as I first thought however due to no garage or inside space at the moment I have had to hand it over to a repairer to get it all seaworthy .
Old 15 June 2017, 22:20   #11

I am basing my assumptions on this video and also looking at any images I can find on the web. My front timber floor panels are definitely pressure warped over time. I plan to use either Black Sikaflex (should do the trick) of HH 66 to hold the timber in place. Just took the original timbers out today and cleaned the aluminium rails. Hope to get the 1/2 marine play cut over the weekend and start next steps.
Old 22 June 2017, 16:32   #12

How have you been progressing with the repair and rebuild? Any photos to share and comments on your findings?