Old 07 June 2013, 14:14   #1

Town: Brookwood
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Fuel tank leak

Hi,
Our 5.85m rib has a leak from the inbuilt fuel tank. I know that this will cause a great deal of work to rectify, I'm wondering if anyone out there has had the same problem and can give a rough estimate of time and cost. The rib was built by Ribcraft, who seem to be poor in returning phone calls, advice etc.
Surely a fuel tank is of utmost safety importance, and should be fit for purpose?

Can anyone offer some advice?

Cheers
Old 07 June 2013, 15:59   #2

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I am surprised at the lack of reply from Ribcraft. I do not have a Ribcraft but have e-mailed them over the years regarding several items and found them very promt and helpfull in reply. I also happen to like the ribcraft boats
TSM
Old 07 June 2013, 16:03   #3

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
You're saying al the right word, safety, fit for purpose, etc but unless the boat is fairly new the words or phone probably won't work, no ones going to put a price on that job, I'm assuming the tank is under the floor and the seat and console are on top of that, lot of work but mostly labour, ie no parts, good luck
Old 07 June 2013, 18:09   #4

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
You've probably looked (apologies if stating the obvious), but if leaking when full etc, are you sure that the leak is from the tank itself (ie through damage), or could it be /have you checked the gasket /seal where the sender unit (assuming you have one) bolts into the top of the tank?

Best of luck

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2013, 18:47   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Exactly - hopefully it's something accessible like a pipe or sender that's loose. Failing that, is there a way of installing a new tank somewhere else ie inside the console? Would be a lot easier than taking the deck up.
Old 07 June 2013, 19:04   #6

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Cannot help you with the RIB, but I had to cut a tank out of the floor and replace it on a 21 ft. Proline. If you do it yourself, be sure to research it on line before trying to install one. There are very important safety issues which must be kept in mind, one of which is crevice corrosion. That resulted in a 65 gal tank with an 1/8 inch hole near the bottom of our tank.
Old 07 June 2013, 19:07   #7
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Engine: Suzuki 140
Those tanks are a minimum of 90l and if it is a standard console there is not much space.

How old is the RIB?
Old 07 June 2013, 20:28   #8

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sweet Chilli
Make: Ribcraft 585/Wetline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90HP Yam 4HP
MMSI: 235084532
The fuel sensor is screwed into a stainless steel pipe which is welded to the top of the tank. So my guess is that the don't normally leak or you would see it.. The tank is a triangular shape which follows the contours of the bow. Ok so next job is to work out whether the leak is on the tubes welded to the top of the tank or lower down. Either way its going to be involved. How do you know it's leaking? Do you get fuel coming out of the drain plug in the bilge or it it wet around the top? Hopefully it's around the top tubes. Then you will need to cut out a section of deck in the console and get it welded. After steam cleaning!

I would be tempted to do a pressure test at say 5psi and see what happens. The drill a small hole in the deck back from the tank and poke a fibre optic camera in.
Old 07 June 2013, 20:39   #9

I would be surprised if a stainless steel tank is used. Condensation is a problem with stainless as I remember. I cannot recall why.

Don't know your laws but pressure testing is a standard operation in the States even though they are not meant to be pressure vessels.
Old 07 June 2013, 21:15   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Ribcraft aren't the best when it comes to getting back to you... been there before. Suggest you speak to Charlie and see what options are.
Old 07 June 2013, 21:49   #11
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Ribcraft aren't the best when it comes to getting back to you... been there before. Suggest you speak to Charlie and see what options are.
+ 1 on that been there several times. However Charlie is a good chap, gets back to you and will do what he can to help.
Old 09 June 2013, 06:53   #12

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sweet Chilli
Make: Ribcraft 585/Wetline
Engine: Honda 90HP Yam 4HP
MMSI: 235084532
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
+ 1 on that been there several times. However Charlie is a good chap, gets back to you and will do what he can to help.
+2 I phoned Charlie on Saturday morning to explain I needed my anti slip deck covering replaced asap. He then phoned the work shop manager at home to arrange to have it done next week. It's now the first job they are going to do at 6am on Monday morning. . Service like this is very rare. Well done Ribcraft.
Old 09 June 2013, 07:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
I would be surprised if a stainless steel tank is used. Condensation is a problem with stainless as I remember. I cannot recall why.

Don't know your laws but pressure testing is a standard operation in the States even though they are not meant to be pressure vessels.
While you guys in the states have mostly Ali tanks us in the uk are the other way round, they are pressure tested and if they are below deck they are foamed in with expanding foam, this tank will need to come out, you would need to satisfy yourself and the owner, there are other risks with welding use fuel tank, boom baby springs to mind
Old 09 June 2013, 08:20   #14

Town: Brookwood
Hi,
Many thanks for the comments. I can confirm that the fuel is from the bilge, open the drain plug and fuel/water comes out, the console being dry. If anyone has had the same problems, has it been due to corrosion or welds to the tank?
Many thanks again for your help, all comments welcome.
Old 09 June 2013, 10:35   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Frank, I have experienced those symptom with a previous RIB. Like you, I assumed the worst had happened. Luckily the issue in my case was a damaged fuel filler hose that was dumping a couple of liters of fuel into the bilges every fill. Sorted with a new hose. You need to check the filler and breather hoses are sound throughout and well joined. Same at the fuel supply spigot and the inspection plate that the fuel sender is most likely set into. You will need to follow the fuel line to the engine too, it could be leaking (although if the engine is running well, it's unlikely.)

After all that, I'd fill the tank to the brim and open the bilge - see what flows...
Old 09 June 2013, 10:39   #16

Town: plymouth
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercury 200 verado
I had the same problem last year with my boat...I was informed that my inboard fuel tanks had holes in them after doing a pressure test and would have to be taken out. I removed the console, cut up a relatively new deck(2008) and removed the tanks.

They went away to be properly tested only to be told they werent leaking and it was just the gaskets round the fuel senders were gone!! This was the only part of the fuel tank that was visible without removing the deck as it was all housed in a jockey seat!

That was an expensive mistake for me so be sure before you do anything as its a lot of work.
Old 09 June 2013, 11:52   #17

Ali tanks usually get pin holes and stainless usually split welds. You can pressure tanks in situ if you can get near the services to it. Sender. Filler. Etc
Old 09 June 2013, 13:14   #18

Biffer, thanks for the information. After going through a tank replacement on our boat, I feel for the OP.

Over here, we are fighting the problem of alcohol in our gasoline and mydrid problems from it. Do you have the alcohol problem? It eats gaskets, hoses, and vent lines.

One concern we had was gasoline leaked into the bilge and concerns of causing a spark when cutting the deck to get at the tank. After getting most of the gas out of the tank, we ran many gallons of water through the bilge until the wash water lost most of the gasoline smell before making the cutout.
Old 10 July 2017, 11:59   #19

Hi All
I am looking at getting a ribcraft-5-85m but I am a little worried on some stories I have heard about fuel tanks leaking. I am looking at two boats, one of which has had fuel tank fixed, the other which the seller says hasn't had fuel tank issues. Prefer engine on one which hasn't had issues (apparently) to the engine on one which has had fuel tank fixed. The boats are about 17 years old (2000). Any advice? Is this problem common? How can I check about it before spending hard earned cash?
Thanks
Bar
Old 10 July 2017, 15:31   #20

It isn't common that ive seen with ribcraft but at 17 years old it is a chance as is anything. All you can do is pressure test the tank, take the drain bung out and see if you can smell petrol worth a quick test too.