Old 20 September 2018, 18:25   #1

Town: Puerto Vallarta
Length: under 3m
Fuel consumption on a Dinghy vs Jet Ski

Hello, doing my research about the watercraft I need, I found out that Jet Skis consume a massive amount of fuel which makes me think they're outdated toys for rich people instead of means of transportation.

I want something highly portable I can launch from the beach. It seems a dinghy is having the upper hand so far.

I rented a Jet Ski the other day and asked what the fuel consumption was to get to a peninsula I visit very often and they told me it would cost about $40-$50 on fuel to get there and come back, it is about 40 minutes away. I go there 3 times per week so it would be a waste of money.

My research tells me that a Seadoo Spark spends about 7.8 Liters per Hour, and supposedly the Suzuki 2.5 df outboard motor I'm interested on, spends only 0.95 LPH, that's at least 7 times less.

So we would be talking about spending $40 vs $5.71 usd on a round trip. Is this correct?
Old 20 September 2018, 18:47   #2

Are you honestly trying to compare even a "crap" modern jet ski to a 2.5hp outboard?

40 mins on a jet ski at cruise will be 30mph plus would be MANY hours on a boat with 2.5hp. At best a 2.5hp engine will move a boat about 4mph....you fancy spending hours doing that? So your 1 litre per hour suddenly becomes many litres to make the trip.

Btw I will be AMAZED if any jet ski is 7.8 litres an hour but I'm no ski expert, friends own them and they drink fuel, they are trigger happy granted.
Old 20 September 2018, 19:47   #3

Town: kansas city
Length: 4m +
it really is an apples to oranges comparison.
Old 20 September 2018, 19:53   #4

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by avillax View Post
Hello, doing my research about the watercraft I need, I found out that Jet Skis consume a massive amount of fuel which makes me think they're outdated toys for rich people instead of means of transportation.

I want something highly portable I can launch from the beach. It seems a dinghy is having the upper hand so far.

I rented a Jet Ski the other day and asked what the fuel consumption was to get to a peninsula I visit very often and they told me it would cost about $40-$50 on fuel to get there and come back, it is about 40 minutes away. I go there 3 times per week so it would be a waste of money.

My research tells me that a Seadoo Spark spends about 7.8 Liters per Hour, and supposedly the Suzuki 2.5 df outboard motor I'm interested on, spends only 0.95 LPH, that's at least 7 times less.

So we would be talking about spending $40 vs $5.71 usd on a round trip. Is this correct?
Your comparing Concorde to a gyro-copter! Are you looking for speed or economy?
Old 20 September 2018, 22:01   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Do you want to get there at 5mph or 50mph?

Seadoo spark is 900cc 60hp motor most economic ski on the market will do 40mph+

3m sib and 5hp motor will do 15mph?

And yes you are correct they are toys not mode of transport, take the bus............
Old 21 September 2018, 05:37   #6

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Do you want to get there at 5mph or 50mph?

Seadoo spark is 900cc 60hp motor most economic ski on the market will do 40mph+

3m sib and 5hp motor will do 15mph?

And yes you are correct they are toys not mode of transport, take the bus............

You wont get 15 mph in a 3 m sib with a 5hp I would suggest
Old 21 September 2018, 09:17   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
yep a 2.5 is a waste of time to perform you need to be looking at 20 hp for instance a suzuki 20 hp = 2.51 lt/hour @ 4000 rpm giving around 13 knots not pushing suzuki just have the info to hand
Old 21 September 2018, 15:47   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
You wont get 15 mph in a 3 m sib with a 5hp I would suggest
You know what as I typed that I thought is was wrong 8-5mph? Less into a head wind? Trying to remember the calls for aux engines and tides a 2.5 on a strong tide might actually go backwards

See here https://www.mby.com/gear/ultimate-5h...p-test-50627/2

2.9m sib 5hp motors hitting 5knots......
So 40min @30mph is 20miles
20 miles at 5knts.... 3.5hours........
Old 23 September 2018, 06:27   #9

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
It's like comparing a dirt bike with a small car. They are totally different things, each with many pros and cons. Although people have done round Britain trips and crossed small seas on jet skis, they are basically for playing on: for scooting about at high speed, carving turns and jumping off waves. The right dinghy can do those things too, although it will generally be slower, but a dinghy can do it with 3 or 4 people on board, and an anchor and safety kit, and a big box of sandwiches and flasks of coffee. A dinghy is great fun, but also practical. An inflatable dinghy is light and folds away for storage, and can usually be launched by hand without the need to reverse a trailer into the water.