Old 11 June 2016, 19:19   #11

Town: Copthorne
Make: Trans-E
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhitchuk View Post
After digesting your f-rib review I'm not so sure about it now as where I go out Brighton-Shoreham there always seem to be waves, so perhaps it would be a bit too bouncy,
I think there was a guy on called Phil who had a F-Rib but not seen any thing of him in ages, so I guess your the only one posting on here who has one, so all the information you can give is gold
I have an F-Rib 360 with a 15HP Johnson engine attached. I also launch from Newhaven quite a lot so am in your area. I've used mine in the waves you talk about and it's great fun.

If you happen to me out when I'm out you can take a look

Old 12 June 2016, 01:40   #12

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
That would be great, thanks for the offer

Old 12 June 2016, 05:39   #13

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
After digesting your f-rib review I'm not so sure about it now as where I go out Brighton-Shoreham there always seem to be waves, so perhaps it would be a bit too bouncy,
I think there was a guy on called Phil who had a F-Rib but not seen any thing of him in ages, so I guess your the only one posting on here who has one, so all the information you can give is gold
Phil did a long topic on these on RIBnet but shortly after most of the FRIB discussion migrated to a new forum that was set-up: F-ribsandsibs. Lots of info on them there with many owners posting. Lots of choice out there now as you have all bases covered with airfloor, solid floor and folding solid floor. Each with advantages and disadvantages. If you play in waves the best handler is still probably the Aerotec as all other SIBs have such flat 'hulls'. I've owned all the various types of SIB's but have not tried a FRIB, I understand they have a very flat hull too but best to look at reviews from those who have owned and trialled both in anger.
Old 12 June 2016, 05:40   #14

Town: Copthorne
Make: Trans-E
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
That would be great, thanks for the offer
The boat handles the waves very well. I've been in 2m waves and felt safe and confident

If your not already a member feel free to join F-RibsandSibs.com forum. We often do trips out on the South Coast.

Anyway buddy, if your out on the water and see an F-Rib 360 with a Johnson engine, and a 3.2M Trans-E Sib also with a Johnson engine pop over.
Old 12 October 2016, 08:00   #15

Town: UK
Boat name: Awsome !!!
Make: F-RIB 375(S)
Engine: Suzuki 9 / 15 & 20HP
Having owned a Honwave T38 I can vouch for the high pressure air floor capability. However I've since sold it and purchased an f-rib 375, these are two totally different boats and it's a mistake even considering them being in the same class IMO.
I've had exceedingly impressive speeds with a 15hp on it and it handles like no tomorrow. Yes it's a tad slammy in mega rough stuff but keep it on the plane wherever possible and it eases somewhat.
As said, the majority of the owners are on F-RibsAndSibs forum, there's loads of F-Rib /Sibs info on there and many reviews from guys that have swapped from Ali/Air floor sibs to the FRIB.
I remember some time ago someone wanted to do a comparison between a bombard and a FRIB. It appears to have died of death, but if anyone wishes to resurrect that challenge, then I'm up for it.
Now where do I place my bet 😂

Having said all that, The best boat out there is still the boat that suits you best.
Purchase price, Storage requirements, size, capability.. so many things to consider.

Member of F-RibsAndSibs.Com
Old 12 October 2016, 08:46   #16

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>>I remember some time ago someone wanted to do a comparison between a bombard and a FRIB. It appears to have died of death, but if anyone wishes to resurrect that challenge, then I'm up for it. Now where do I place my bet ��

The popularity of the Aerotec really does seem to annoy you as you keep bringing up the "didn't happen" side by side test.

Anyway it seems to have been done already as I've seen images and videos time and again of Aerotecs out in company with Fribs on Frib and other outings. Aren't the comparisons obvious when you're out?

They were to Chipko on here when he owned both and did his detailed comparison over on your forum... then sold the Frib and kept the Aerotec! As written up on post four here... F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - 'Back to Back' F-Rib375 with Aerotec 380

But if you want a simple comparison... if that's what's important to you then you'll be faster over flat water with your 15hp on the Frib than I will be using a 20hp on the Aerotec... however if you tried to fit a 375 Frib in my boot with 20hp OB and a days kit it wouldn't fit and I couldn't get it to the sea so it would be just a garden ornament for me.

Horses and courses as usual.... good there is the choice out there.
Old 12 October 2016, 09:15   #17

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

But if you want a simple comparison... if that's what's important to you then you'll be faster over flat water with your 15hp on the Frib than I will be using a 20hp on the Aerotec... however if you tried to fit a 375 Frib in my boot with 20hp OB and a days kit it wouldn't fit and I couldn't get it to the sea so it would be just a garden ornament for me.

Horses and courses as usual.... good there is the choice out there.
Not forgetting that flat water on UK seas IME is pretty unusual which means the V hull of the Aerotec is of far more importance than any extra speed provided by the efficiency of the flat bottomed FRIB which with the same flat hull would slam terribly.

As you say horses for courses:

Test 1: top speed on flat Loch = Frib win.

Test 2: handling/speed/stability/safety on typical UK 3/4 lumpy sea = Aerotec win

There - easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
...it handles like no tomorrow. Yes it's a tad slammy in mega rough stuff but keep it on the plane wherever possible and it eases somewhat...
How can it ease when it has a flat bottom and slams - what do you call 'mega rough' - force 6? ie 3 to 4 m waves?!?!

Even typical force 3/4 down here is 1m + waves with very short wavelength.

Tags
rib