Old 28 November 2014, 17:06   #11

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Length: 3m +
Engine: Parsun 15hp
I honestly have no idea what those prices relate to, perhaps worth giving them a call, it could be an old web site that is still floating on the net---------pass.

I am going to have the 330, so if North Lincs is not too far for you, you are welcome to come and have a ride.

Phil

Old 28 November 2014, 17:39   #12

Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner60 Honda2.3
MMSI: 239711398
Phil,
Many thanks for kind offer, Midlands based, so not too far away.
I've a horrible feeling I'll be visiting Pennine Marine early in the New Year!!
Hope you enjoy the 330, looks like it should be great fun.

Old 29 November 2014, 07:09   #13

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Phil a brilliant review.

Seems the ease of assembly of an air floor with none of the flex issues... a powerful attraction. So what is the floor made of... GRP... plastic... single/double skin?

Seeing it in your car does raise a slight packing issue for me as our air floor Zodiac allows room for the 15hp, launch wheels, fuel tank, lifejackets etc to all go in packed on and around the boat totally within the loadspace of our estate. I'd just be a little wary of committing to a boat that meant I had to intrude into the rear seats.

Having said that it is probably much easier than the Avon small folding transom RIB which needs to go on the roof.

Price is a bit of a stumbling block but it is a unique concept... hmm food for thought.
Old 29 November 2014, 10:52   #14

It is a single skin GRP floor, quite thick but not had a gauge on, it feels about 10mm but I will stand to be corrected on that one.

My Passat is actually quite a low roof line and although I did not try on the day, I think it is possible to ramp up the boat at the back to lay the outboard underneath. That is something which I will play with when I get the F-Rib.

I usually go on my own or with only one other person in the car with me so dropping the back seat is normal to fit in all the fishing gear as I always take too much stuff with me and if needed we would just take my wife's car for extra passenger space but I take your point.

A 330 is just short of £2500 which compared to many sibs on the market today is far more expensive but there again there isn't any other sib to compare with this. It is very difficult to get across the feel of the boat, so sure footed, solid and predictable which for me is worth the extra. Compare the price to a number of Zodiac sibs, then the price is not so high.

This craft offers me an exceptional fishing platform and family boat that ticks all the boxes for me and I will take a small wager when more people manage to take a spin in one, they too may find it ticks their boxes as well.

If anybody is interested in trying one out, just ask, it gives me a good excuse to hit the water.

Phil
Old 29 November 2014, 11:27   #15

Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner60 Honda2.3
MMSI: 239711398
Phil,
Cheaper prices on the other website are excluding vat!! Should have twigged when I mentioned they were about 20% less. Doh!!
A bit cheeky though as it's not apparent until you get right to the checkout.
Old 29 November 2014, 12:03   #16

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
An interesting concept Philpot ..and I could almost be tempted myself on a larger size.

I will watch with interest what folks think once they start using them in earnest. Quick question for you... when it gets wet..and Im sure it will in a small boat that size.. a bit of water comes over the side.. is there a draining hole between each compartment ..or will I have to move around to bail out the water in each half.. or third .... that could prove a pain ?

It would be great for me to see a comparison between around a 4m F Rib and a comparable size Highfield Classic aluminium hull.. that would be my two considerations going for another small boat. I could keep my 25HP shoirt shaft for either of them

The big attraction to me of either boat is the light weight of both. 60-70kg is very manoeuvrable for even an old git like myself..and Im not so bothered with using a trailer. When I do go to renew mine..I will look at both
Old 29 November 2014, 12:07   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
It would be great for me to see a comparison between around a 4m F Rib and a comparable size Highfield Classic aluminium hull.. that would be my two considerations going for another small boat. I could keep my 25HP shoirt shaft for either of them
Perhaps we ought to try to organise a group test sometime with an Aerotec and one of the aluminium Ribeyes too.
Old 29 November 2014, 12:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Perhaps we ought to try to organise a group test sometime with an Aerotec and one of the aluminium Ribeyes too.

Wow..now you are talking John.. I would be interested in seeing that

Although I love my QS..I get a little bit of an inheritance soon ..so was thinking of perhaps getting something newer..mine is 10 years old next season
Old 29 November 2014, 13:20   #19

A mixed meet with the ability to try out a range of craft, now that would be good. There used to be a Zodiac dealer near Todmordon, Lancs, who every year took a load of SIBs over the Windermere for people to try. I think it was a very good move on his part because I was advised he always sold a number following the open days.

Gurnard
There are drain holes between the sections for water to pass through.
Phil
Old 29 November 2014, 13:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpot View Post
Gurnard
There are drain holes between the sections for water to pass through.
Phil
Thanks for that Philpot..I could see a dot at the join in your photo but could not work out if it was the bolt head or a hole..so that answers my question

Im definitely interested in a hard bottomed 4 meter “SIB” ..give or take an inch .. so come the time.. possibly around the spring .. I will give it serious consideration.. along with the 4 meter aluminium hulls tenders

I wasn’t aware that Ribeye did one that would suit my 25Hp 2 stroke short shaft either.. so that is definitely another option ..so thanks for that info John ....but for me.. the Aerotec would not be worth changing my QS for.

I want a light boat that I can drag across the shore and winch onto a trailer without worrying about tearing its bottom. I need the room in the back of my car for the outboard on its sack trolley and the rest of my gear..so even getting the F Rib.. I would probably trailer it too. I fear a normal RIB needs another bigger engine and would end up too heavy for my needs

Do keep us informed of how yours performs in the open sea.

Tags
rib