Old 27 October 2012, 17:08   #1

Town: Ringwood
Boat name: xxx
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 6hp outboard Suzuki
Folding away FR285

First time today inflated new Zodiac FR285 Acti V to do a dummy run and was a bit stressed folding it away afterwards. Are there any videos of anyone folding one away ready to go back in the bag?

I used a pump to deflate fully and tried to follow the limited instructions in the owners book but struggled a bit and I dont want to damage it before I use it, also i need it to go back a bit maller than i managed to fit in the back of my estate car.

Any tips welcome.
Old 27 October 2012, 17:38   #2

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Hopefully this will help but if not I would of thought there would be a video on YouTube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1281915543.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	73625  
Old 27 October 2012, 17:43   #3

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
If these folding boats are anything like a tent or Christmas lights they NEVER go back into what they came out of!
Old 29 October 2012, 11:24   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hate to seem an *rse but I never have problems folding my boats into the original pack. There is a knack that might be slightly different for each one but they all go OK once that's learned. A Zodiac main dealer gave me some of the tips.

If you can (as mentioned on the other thread) take photos on the first unpack from new.
Make 100% sure all valves are fixed open.
Roughly fold boat and roll up round transom and press on it to get most of the air out. Then unroll ready to do it neatly. Do not use pump to vacuum air our as this can cause the material to stick internally and not fold easily.

Fold transom flat onto boat, fold cone ends in and fold transom with boat round it once.

Do not continue to roll the boat up round transom as as this will make a mishapen sausage that will be nothing like the rectangular parcel you are looking for.

Instead turn the boat over and fold in the remainder of the boat on top of what you have done so far... so it makes a kind of Z-shape looked at from the side.

Get an idea of the width you are looking for (I relate it to the transom width) and at each fold make sure you keep inside this measurement by careful tucking away because once it is fully rolled up it's too late.

Be prepared to put your weight on it for a minute to expell the last of the air and if you have a strap type carry bag tighten these and then sit on it again before re-tightening. If it is a zip bag well worth getting a couple of luggage straps and pulling to size with these first or it is so easy to ruin a zip.

It was so crucial to me to learn to get the boats back in their bags as we travel them to Scotland with the rest of our luggage in the back of an estate car. If you leave the boat a loose blob it just won't all go in.
Old 30 October 2012, 23:04   #5

Thanks for the tips, I think I sucked every molecule of air out with the pump, maybe that's why it refused to fold easily, it seemed far too stiff.... I will give it another try without sucking it dry.
Old 10 November 2012, 08:55   #6

Hi, took her out yesterday and this time when packing away I did not suck all of the air out and I can confirm that it packed away much easier, so thanks for the tips.
Old 10 November 2012, 09:56   #7

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
i had the same boat this year and found it the best to pack up, as it doest have bag but straps that you can pull tight, if you still have problem ask chas newman putney they sold loads off these