Old 04 June 2011, 03:21   #1

Town: South West
Length: 4m +
Floor Rails

Sorry if the thread title is a bit vague, hopefully I can explain what I'm after.

Have got a Zodiac Gran Raid with the aluminium floor, it got rails down either side of the floor boards (as I think all do). Just wondering if you can get fitting that slide in there such a D rings so I can attach things into a position such as the fuel tank.

If anyone can help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Daniel
Old 04 June 2011, 06:17   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Much of my accessories are bolted right to the floor. My anchor locker, well really a legally bought milk crate, is zip tied to the floor with the stainless hardware shown below. I have the aluminum floor which has the first board made of wood. Both the aluminum and the wood can be screwed into.

Old 04 June 2011, 13:46   #3

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
Zodiac does make fittings that slide along in the rails - can't remember their name but I think I have some and will take a look in my storage and will post a picture if I can find one ........
Old 04 June 2011, 14:09   #4

Cheers for the replies, drilling into the floor is a secondary option, would mean taking the floor out of the boat for a start and everything would want counter sinking and covering to prevent it wearing through the bottom.

The benefit of having fittings that slide in the rails is they can be moved around.

Would be a great help if you could dig one out and get a picture, at least that way I may be able to make something up that would clamp into the rails. All it would need are a couple of bits of ally or stainless steal plate with some bolts through. Could even use a screw on metal eyelet to act as the clamp as well as the fixing.
Old 04 June 2011, 14:32   #5

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
The zodiac plastic track sliders or tie downs are nice. They do work well. Each slider has a spring loaded pin that engages into the holes in the track to maintain it's position. The hole in the top of the sliders is too small to use with the hooks on my ratchet straps, but you could add a split ring to them easily. Sorry, I don't have a picture of them or the part number.

I made my own track sliders out of a sail stop and ss bale. The advantage over the plastic sliders is strength and the ability to clamp the custom slider anywhere along the rail (rather than just where stop holes are provided). Availability of sliders compared to parts was key too. Here are a couple of pics. I think the flexibility of the track system is awesome.

Old 04 June 2011, 14:43   #6

Thanks for those pictures, that is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for. Just need something to fix the fuel tank somewhere nearer the nose of the boat to stop it making it's way to the back of the boat!

Any more details of the parts you've used and where you sourced them from would be very handy.

Thanks again.

Dan
Old 04 June 2011, 15:30   #7

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I think the design has changed a bit since, I recently bought some for my FC and they look like the(not very good) pic below.

Moulded plastic with a small hole to feed a carabiner through. Can be a bit fiddly but do the job
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zodiac tie down.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	59879  
Old 04 June 2011, 16:55   #8

I picked up the parts at West Marine, but they are available from many boating supply stores.

The inside track sail stop:

DAVIS INSTRUMENTS Sail Track Stops at West Marine

You can use a dead end bail, but I bought a terminal eye strap and cut off part of the lower plate. I left that part of the strap long enough so it would bridge both sides of the track when tightened down. Depending on size you may find a dead end bail that is ready fit.

FORESPAR Eyestrap at West Marine

All stainless, snug tight fit when clamped and strong enough to securely hold a larger load. Not necessarily a cheap alternative, but I have four of them and I really like the flexibility the track system affords.
Old 05 June 2011, 18:00   #9

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
here are the one's I had in storage - sorry about the picture quality - they may be the same as those posted by Martini......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zodiac 003.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	59924   Click image for larger version

Name:	zodiac 015.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	59925  
Old 05 June 2011, 21:55   #10

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
^Those posted above are the factory style that fit in the rails. I have a few, but don't trust them to hold much, especially not my anchor locker nor fuel tank. Then again most folks probably don't have 600lbs (270kg) of scuba tanks bouncing around the floor.
Old 06 June 2011, 01:09   #11

I see the Zodiac ones don't look as substantial to me and I bet they are difficult to get hold of. Going to have a look around the boat stores when I go back home next week see what I can find.
Old 13 July 2016, 14:33   #12

Town: Bozeman
Boat name: Merman I
Make: Bombard Commando C4
Engine: Yamaha F20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
I picked up the parts at West Marine, but they are available from many boating supply stores.

The inside track sail stop:

DAVIS INSTRUMENTS Sail Track Stops at West Marine

You can use a dead end bail, but I bought a terminal eye strap and cut off part of the lower plate. I left that part of the strap long enough so it would bridge both sides of the track when tightened down. Depending on size you may find a dead end bail that is ready fit.

FORESPAR Eyestrap at West Marine

All stainless, snug tight fit when clamped and strong enough to securely hold a larger load. Not necessarily a cheap alternative, but I have four of them and I really like the flexibility the track system affords.
Thanks for the info...did you use the 3/4 or the 3/8 tack sail stop to fit in the zodiac floor rails?
Old 13 July 2016, 15:13   #13

3/4" sail stop fits the rails really well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tiedown.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	114368  
Old 13 July 2016, 15:18   #14

A little out of focus, but another shot of the tie down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tiedown2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	114369  
Old 13 July 2016, 16:47   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by roody262 View Post
Cheers for the replies, drilling into the floor is a secondary option, would mean taking the floor out of the boat for a start and everything would want counter sinking and covering to prevent it wearing through the bottom.

The benefit of having fittings that slide in the rails is they can be moved around.

Would be a great help if you could dig one out and get a picture, at least that way I may be able to make something up that would clamp into the rails. All it would need are a couple of bits of ally or stainless steal plate with some bolts through. Could even use a screw on metal eyelet to act as the clamp as well as the fixing.
Use threaded inserts you dril a hole just through the top skin then fix the insert with a crimp tool same principle as pop rivets I bought the tool for £10 and the inserts for £1.99 aliminium stainless or just carbon steel if they are knackered just drill out and insert another.

Cheers
Old 13 July 2016, 19:15   #16

Town: Bozeman
Boat name: Merman I
Make: Bombard Commando C4
Engine: Yamaha F20
Thanks all, ordered up the parts Kelson recommended. Now I can strap down the scuba tanks with impunity
Old 19 July 2016, 12:45   #17

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
I use the Zodiac ones to hold down everything: Fuel tank, battery, anchor box, and scuba tanks. They work well. I also made a several extras from a length of solid nylon. Cut to the proper contours (like an extrusion) then cut to several short lengths and drilled a hole in each one. You can't lock them into position, but I just place them in between the other pin-lockable ones.