Old 17 March 2010, 22:16   #1

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Floor covering

Hi again lads,
I am thinking of putting some kind of non slip flooring down on my sibs wooden floor, and have come across this... ebay item 130303524436.
They are made of EVA and are labelled as non fatigue.
I think they will stop a bit of noise, protect the floor from fishing weights and hopefully be non slip, both under foot and when things are sliding backwards when under way.
What do you guys think?
Will they last two minutes, and are they really non slip?
Does anyone know of anything better for a simlar price?
Cheers,
Geoff
Old 17 March 2010, 23:25   #2

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
Hi again lads,
I am thinking of putting some kind of non slip flooring down on my sibs wooden floor, and have come across this... ebay item 130303524436.
I think they will stop a bit of noise, protect the floor from fishing weights and hopefully be non slip, both under foot and when things are sliding backwards when under way.
What do you guys think?
Cheers,
Geoff
Hi again Geoff,on my small sib i have a wood slatted floor covers the whole deck in sections,from the Boat jumble a few years back i purchased a non slip mat £17.00 a metre, non slip heavy duty plastic type mat ,brought 4 metres, an cut the whole lot to fit straight over the top,fantastic ,easy to clean ,if you want a sample i can post pic's,if anygood to you?its proper non slip for the marine trade,comes in a variety of colours i choose grey as me sib is that colour
Old 18 March 2010, 01:15   #3

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Great minds.....

I was looking at getting something similar to this (ebay 140391684317 ) to cover my aluminium floor.

It's a bugger to keep it really clean when it ends up covered in cod sh1t, thornback blood, ragworm guts etc....

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2010, 07:43   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Quote:
Hi again lads,
What do you guys think?
Cheers,
Geoff
The big question is DO they float.
if you get any water in the sib your be tripping up just walking across them.
may well be worth asking the seller.
Old 18 March 2010, 08:27   #5

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
The big question is DO they float.
if you get any water in the sib your be tripping up just walking across them.
may well be worth asking the seller.
Yes, they will float.

They are also not so non slip when very wet.

Any blood/guts (from fishing) will still make it through to the floor below too.

Not ideal IMHO.
Old 18 March 2010, 22:59   #6

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Mmm, think you are probably right. I had my doubts about the mats.
What about these... 180480637441. Look good, but a lot more expensive. I like Sharkbytes idea too, but again, pricey.
Anyone else have any other alternatives?
Cheers,
Geoff
Old 19 March 2010, 04:40   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Quote:
Mmm, think you are probably right. I had my doubts about the mats.
What about these... 180480637441. Look good, but a lot more expensive. I like Sharkbytes idea too, but again, pricey.
Anyone else have any other alternatives?
Cheers,
Geoff
Again it looks like a plastic that may well float if water is in the boat.
unless you can fix the matting down onto timber decking/flooring on all of the sections .

The only other thing i can think of is self adhesive pads of Treadmaster and there expensive as well but fixed and will not float about the boat .
Old 20 March 2010, 09:52   #8

Why call it not slip flooring them,this stuff not cheap and made for decks,yes it gets dirty ,but it scrubs up, it floats and yeah you will get a little mess going throught to the deck,more designed for larger boats NON SLIP flooring
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0698.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	49915  
Old 20 April 2010, 12:45   #9

Length: 8m +
I've used http://www.heskins.com before when I needed some anti slip for my RIB, now i'm all sorted with some anti slip strips and they've stuck fast, I actually may have problems if I need to remove them for some as yet unknown reason lol.
Old 20 April 2010, 18:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoff View Post
i've used http://www.heskins.com before when i needed some anti slip for my rib, now i'm all sorted with some anti slip strips and they've stuck fast, i actually may have problems if i need to remove them for some as yet unknown reason lol.
getting my light weight floor made at work now,and thats what i will be using 9m tape from wickes,waterproof and at £10.99 ,beter the b n q price 3 m roll at £5 pound something ,anti slip paint thay won't loads,sod that,,,,,,,gonna criss cross the deck pannels with it
Old 21 April 2010, 15:44   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Strips of sandpaper-like stuff, adhesive backed, is pretty widely available, and better non-slip properties than any kind of plastic or rubber when wet. Don't need to cover the whole floor; about 50% coverage works pretty well (and gives a zebra-skin effect if you are one of the more artsy people.) You may have some problems keeping it stuck down, though.

jky
Old 21 April 2010, 16:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Strips of sandpaper-like stuff, adhesive backed, is pretty widely available, and better non-slip properties than any kind of plastic or rubber when wet. Don't need to cover the whole floor; about 50% coverage works pretty well (and gives a zebra-skin effect if you are one of the more artsy people.) You may have some problems keeping it stuck down, though.

jky
problems keeping it stuck down, though, I agree there good stuff,but keeping it down,i may lay mine on the last coat of wet varnish,and be a little arty aswell,i like that
Old 21 April 2010, 20:19   #13

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
on a Humber 16 that i had it had which been used by a dive club before i bought her ,,had a large ribbed rubber mat stuck down ,,the sort you get in shop door ways about 3ft wide 7 ft long problem was that over time holes had worn through then water had been trapped causing a bit of rot to the top laminates of the plywood floor ,.

mixing a hand full of sharp sand into varnish makes a good non slip surface but i know someone that tripped and fell head first into there boat from a river bank ,,,nice gravel rash to the forehead ,,

that nonslip tape that jyasaki mentioned ,,i bought a roll from a pound shop ,it said it was for kitchen floors/ metal steps ,,,,,thinking it would be crap and would probely peel off after a few weeks ,,well i was wrong its stuck down for 4 years now on my grp fishing boat cabin roof ,,,problem is pound shop no longer sells it .
Old 22 April 2010, 06:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
on a Humber 16 that i had it had which been used by a dive club before i bought her ,,had a large ribbed rubber mat stuck down ,,the sort you get in shop door ways about 3ft wide 7 ft long problem was that over time holes had worn through then water had been trapped causing a bit of rot to the top laminates of the plywood floor ,.

mixing a hand full of sharp sand into varnish makes a good non slip surface but i know someone that tripped and fell head first into there boat from a river bank ,,,nice gravel rash to the forehead ,,

that nonslip tape that jyasaki mentioned ,,i bought a roll from a pound shop ,it said it was for kitchen floors/ metal steps ,,,,,thinking it would be crap and would probely peel off after a few weeks ,,well i was wrong its stuck down for 4 years now on my grp fishing boat cabin roof ,,,problem is pound shop no longer sells it .
Arh the good ole pound shop,do get some bargains sometimes ,but as you say got something one minute,next gone and don t sell it again,well handy if they did that tape,got two shops in town will have a look
Old 22 April 2010, 15:23   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
problems keeping it stuck down, though, I agree there good stuff,but keeping it down,i may lay mine on the last coat of wet varnish,and be a little arty aswell,i like that
Might try giving the adhesive a splash of acetone just prior to sticking it on. Works well for a lot of rubber-based tape adhesives.

To keep water from getting in around the edges, you could seal them with a thin mix of urethane adhesive thinned with MEK (or acetone.)

jky
Old 23 April 2010, 14:58   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Might try giving the adhesive a splash of acetone just prior to sticking it on. Works well for a lot of rubber-based tape adhesives.

To keep water from getting in around the edges, you could seal them with a thin mix of urethane adhesive thinned with MEK (or acetone.)

jky
Good tip,many thanks,Be nice to be able to get some,could nt find it in B n Q,AND WICKES ,never had it in the gravesend store how annoying