Old 11 March 2010, 21:43   #1

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Flexi Paint

Hi all,As the title says 1, Is it anygood,2,Is it vey expensive,,,yes i can answer that one ,lol,3 if boat inflated all through the year less chance of it cracking up?a few questions for the second hand SIB when i finally get her thoughh the stress i am now having of ,cheque clearance and the stress of sorting out the delivery,lol
Old 13 March 2010, 09:32   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Hi Thornback ,i have used flexipaint a number of times in the past and always had good results , it can make a tatty old boat look much better and help seals up any very small holes and porosity,,boat needs to be compleatly dry from moisture ,fully inflated and left inflated for as long as possible, main thing though is to stick down any loose patches or seam tape well and lightly sand the surface,any parts you dont want painting use maskingtape ,i have always put it on with a 3inch brush working with shortish strokes ,if you use long strokes it can have a tendancy to drag as it just about dries as its going on ,its usually touch dry in a very short time and it can be used within a couple of days longer the better ,boat cannot be stored tightly folded for about 6/7 weeks from what i remember as it could stick , after that its just like a normal inflatable boat ,,and it will last for years ,i got about 6 years from one boat before it needed another paint and it had some fairly hard useage .
Old 13 March 2010, 12:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Hi Thornback ,i have used flexipaint a number of times in the past and always had good results , it can make a tatty old boat look much better and help seals up any very small holes and porosity,,boat needs to be compleatly dry from moisture ,fully inflated and left inflated for as long as possible, main thing though is to stick down any loose patches or seam tape well and lightly sand the surface,any parts you dont want painting use maskingtape ,i have always put it on with a 3inch brush working with shortish strokes ,if you use long strokes it can have a tendancy to drag as it just about dries as its going on ,its usually touch dry in a very short time and it can be used within a couple of days longer the better ,boat cannot be stored tightly folded for about 6/7 weeks from what i remember as it could stick , after that its just like a normal inflatable boat ,,and it will last for years ,i got about 6 years from one boat before it needed another paint and it had some fairly hard useage .
Many thanks and excellent advice booked up and paid speedshift this morning so a week or so she will be home and mine to make real purdy,lol,will post pic's of each stage Take care SHANE
Old 14 March 2010, 12:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
Many thanks and excellent advice booked up and paid speedshift this morning so a week or so she will be home and mine to make real purdy,lol,will post pic's of each stage Take care SHANE
Depending on how much you want to spend you could just do just the topside/top halfs as i diid,its not often the underside needs any painting ,,well you dont see that bit all that much anyhow, ,,also if there are any rough parts of the tubes which have worn down to the woven fabric you can go over them a couple of times and build the paint up level before you paint the whole section as long as its moisture free ,,good luck mart,
Old 14 March 2010, 15:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Depending on how much you want to spend you could just do just the topside/top halfs as i diid,its not often the underside needs any painting ,,well you dont see that bit all that much anyhow, ,,also if there are any rough parts of the tubes which have worn down to the woven fabric you can go over them a couple of times and build the paint up level before you paint the whole section as long as its moisture free ,,good luck mart,
Cheers Mart ,a bloke at the kent boat jumble recommended i go to a car manafacturer who deals in car seat upholstery ,reckon,s it does a good job?
Old 01 May 2015, 09:18   #6

Town: North Pole
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 30hp jet
M chappelow, what brand of paint did you use? Do you have any pictures? And have you ever had to patch an area that was painted? If so, I'm assuming you had to remove paint to apply patch on original surface, how difficult was the process?

Sorry for digging up the old thread just to play 20 questions. Haha
Old 03 May 2015, 10:24   #7

Flexi Paint

Polymarine i think its a long time ago now .
Old 03 May 2015, 12:22   #8

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
It's called flexithane can also be purchased from HMG
I did this few weeks ago. Sticks like the preverbal

2.5 ltrs delivered to your door is so much cheaper than poly marine products use straight from the can as. Is, I sprayed it on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3307117933.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	105008   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2082443429.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	105009   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-675134788.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	105010   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3765371972.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	105011  
Old 03 May 2015, 12:26   #9

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Last two pics are with new coating on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-335744926.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	105012   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3613891068.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	105013   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-442655703.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	105014  
Old 04 May 2015, 22:47   #10

Town: North Pole
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 30hp jet
Thanks, it looks good and appears to be holding up well.
Old 14 May 2015, 10:59   #11

Town: Ottawa
Make: Brig
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
Hi!
new here, just joined looking for an answer to perhaps pertaining to this very subject.
I have a Brig Baltic series & the gray finish on the top of the bow, ironically where everybody seems to climb in got soft and sticky last summer and when I washed it before storing for the winter it kinda washed off to the next layer down....kind of a tan color. (I'm thinking the softening was caused either by suntan oil or insect repellant)
So, by coming across this thread I am assuming painting these boats is a fairly common thing.
And, it sounds as though using an automotive type vinyl paint would be an option to sort this mess out.
I'm thinking of a product called "SEM Colorcoat" it is a Lacquer based polymeric coating or would the lacquer base just make the product worse.
Mikie
near Ottawa Canada
12ft. Brig Baltic series W/8hp Honda power
Old 05 August 2017, 13:38   #12

Town: Galway
Make: Atlantic 21
Engine: Yamaha 200hp HPDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
It's called flexithane can also be purchased from HMG
I did this few weeks ago. Sticks like the preverbal

2.5 ltrs delivered to your door is so much cheaper than poly marine products use straight from the can as. Is, I sprayed it on
Hi Nugent.

How did this paint hold up??