Old 07 April 2019, 19:01   #1

Town: Göteborg
Length: 3m +
Fix botched repair close to rubbing strake

The sib i bought a couple years ago has a repair that is right next to the rubbing strake and it is leaking slowly. I am not shure how to go about fixing this the best way possible. Unfortunately this is the only picture that i have right now. Basically it´s leaking at the point where the patch goes over the rubbing strake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_175327.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	128988  
Old 07 April 2019, 19:52   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995 View Post
The sib i bought a couple years ago has a repair that is right next to the rubbing strake and it is leaking slowly. I am not shure how to go about fixing this the best way possible. Unfortunately this is the only picture that i have right now. Basically it´s leaking at the point where the patch goes over the rubbing strake.
Hi

Try tear aid it's a self adhering patch that moves with the material it's not expensive two types PVC and hypalon

https://www.tear-aid.com/
Old 07 April 2019, 20:02   #3
RIBnet Supporter

OP - the big question is where the leak actually is, not where the air is escaping from. If you can see a hole at the area beside the strake then you know where the leak is. If the air is escaping from under the strake then the leak could be anywhere along the underside of the strake. If you can SEE the hole then the cure is to patch from BEHIND. This is a tricky repair.

If some air is escaping through a seam and under the strake then an application of internal liquid sealant might solve the problem for you.
Old 07 April 2019, 20:15   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
OP - the big question is where the leak actually is, not where the air is escaping from. If you can see a hole at the area beside the strake then you know where the leak is. If the air is escaping from under the strake then the leak could be anywhere along the underside of the strake. If you can SEE the hole then the cure is to patch from BEHIND. This is a tricky repair.

If some air is escaping through a seam and under the strake then an application of internal liquid sealant might solve the problem for you.
If willk is right fill a hypodermic with sealant and inject at that point with it facing down to creat a puddle around the area
Old 08 April 2019, 17:31   #5

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Second that.
I had this same problem with a patch crossing over a seam. I was getting tiny bubbles from the extra space the overlap created. I put Toobseal inside just over the original hole, using a piece of tubing I could control where it deposits the adhesive. When inflated it forced the Toobseal into the small leak. It seems to be very permanent.

Tags
repair