Old 08 October 2018, 19:27   #1

Town: Rode
Make: Excel volante 330
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Fitting transom wheels

My excel 330 arrived today, I want to fix my transom wheels this weekend, Im new to this so need some advice, could anyone tell what silicone is best to use ? Do I only need to put silicone on the nuts and bolts? Or do I need to cover back of bracket with it? My transom wheels have come without instructions, so not sure where to drill holes, is there a special position to fix brackets? Height? Width? How far away from the tubes Don't want to mess this up.

Thankyou
Old 08 October 2018, 23:15   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Do you have a photo of the transom wheels you have and of the transom... it would help us give advice.
Old 09 October 2018, 06:58   #3

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat View Post
My excel 330 arrived today, I want to fix my transom wheels this weekend, Im new to this so need some advice, could anyone tell what silicone is best to use ? Do I only need to put silicone on the nuts and bolts? Or do I need to cover back of bracket with it? My transom wheels have come without instructions, so not sure where to drill holes, is there a special position to fix brackets? Height? Width? How far away from the tubes Don't want to mess this up.

Thankyou
Look at a Product called CT1 you will not find better
Old 09 October 2018, 09:19   #4

I wasn't sure but I've just checked a data sheet to confirm CT1 is OK for salt water and it is, primarily a builders do everything sealer/adhesive. The usual forum advised product for sealing anything on a boat is Sikaflex.

Whichever you use it only needs to seal holes through the transom to stop water ingress to its core. Remember to seal from both inside and outside of the transom. I'd not put it on the back of the bracket as it could make them a pig to remove in the future if needed.

I'll wait to hear where the transom wheels came from/what model and pics if possible before advising more... to avoid having 8 holes in the wrong place you need to get this right first time.
Old 09 October 2018, 10:14   #5

CT1 Is incredible stuff far better than Sika
Old 09 October 2018, 19:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I wasn't sure but I've just checked a data sheet to confirm CT1 is OK for salt water and it is, primarily a builders do everything sealer/adhesive. The usual forum advised product for sealing anything on a boat is Sikaflex.

Whichever you use it only needs to seal holes through the transom to stop water ingress to its core. Remember to seal from both inside and outside of the transom. I'd not put it on the back of the bracket as it could make them a pig to remove in the future if needed.

I'll wait to hear where the transom wheels came from/what model and pics if possible before advising more... to avoid having 8 holes in the wrong place you need to get this right first time.
My wheels are 250mm pneumatic, retractable and detachable , can't tell you anymore than that, as I haven't got any more info
Old 09 October 2018, 19:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
CT1 Is incredible stuff far better than Sika
Cheers for that
Old 09 October 2018, 19:56   #8

Quote:

I got the wheels through excel boats, 250mm , haven't got picture of transom yet, as it is still packed away
Old 09 October 2018, 19:57   #9

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
I have those on my aerotec, work great and sturdy
Old 09 October 2018, 21:25   #10

You might want to pump them up with the foam puncture repair aerosols as they are notorious for deflating all on their own.
Old 09 October 2018, 21:48   #11

I am taken aback Excel will supply new wheels with a new SIB yet no instructions as how to fit... odd given they major on the personal touch when selling you the SIB.

Anyway...

You want to end up with the wheels curving under the floor not curving backwards. They should be set as far apart as they will go but not so far they foul the tubes when swinging up.

To fit I inflate the boat and put it on buckets or stools etc so it's sitting level. Then I trial the position of the bracket on the transom so the wheels are clear of the bottom by the greatest margin and swing up OK. Also ensuring the legs end up at 90deg to the level transom using a vertical level or square etc.

This is generic advice for wheels that swing up but I wonder if yours do or if they clip on and off up or down??

Also if you have them they will need to clear the spray flaps in the up posn.

There may be issues with rear fixings for the air floor etc being where the wheel bolts would come through so you may have to jiggle a compromise.

Take care when drilling not to go into the back of the air floor by mistake assuming it's in when you do the job. Also consider if the nuts and bolt ends on the inside might rub the back of the air floor. Using dome nuts is a good solution.

Worthwhile using a small pilot drill and going up in sizes to minimise transom face breakaway.
Old 09 October 2018, 21:50   #12

>>>might want to pump them up with the foam puncture repair aerosols as they are notorious for deflating all on their own.

Another reason I use solid sandhopper wheels on mine.
Old 10 October 2018, 11:13   #13

Quote:
I am taken aback Excel will supply new wheels with a new SIB yet no instructions as how to fit... odd given they major on the personal touch when selling you the SIB.

Anyway...

You want to end up with the wheels curving under the floor not curving backwards. They should be set as far apart as they will go but not so far they foul the tubes when swinging up.

To fit I inflate the boat and put it on buckets or stools etc so it's sitting level. Then I trial the position of the bracket on the transom so the wheels are clear of the bottom by the greatest margin and swing up OK. Also ensuring the legs end up at 90deg to the level transom using a vertical level or square etc.

This is generic advice for wheels that swing up but I wonder if yours do or if they clip on and off up or down??

Also if you have them they will need to clear the spray flaps in the up posn.

There may be issues with rear fixings for the air floor etc being where the wheel bolts would come through so you may have to jiggle a compromise.

Take care when drilling not to go into the back of the air floor by mistake assuming it's in when you do the job. Also consider if the nuts and bolt ends on the inside might rub the back of the air floor. Using dome nuts is a good solution.

Worthwhile using a small pilot drill and going up in sizes to minimise transom face breakaway.
Thanks for your advice, a bit disappointed that there are no instructions, I'm sure I will work it out. The wheels can stay on or you can remove them. The nuts are dome ones which were supplied with the wheels. Is it worth fastening the engine on transom before I start drilling holes ? Just in case the wheels touch outboard.
Cheers clive
Old 10 October 2018, 11:32   #14

Well if you push the wheels as far out as they can go allowing for other constraints they should miss the OB... but fitting it to be sure can do no harm.
Old 10 October 2018, 16:55   #15

Thanks, I think I will just in case
Old 14 October 2018, 15:28   #16

Just finished fitting transom wheels, a bit awkward trying to get them in the right place, came across one problem that I couldn't do much about, had to put the wheel arms facing outwards because of the inflatable floor, has plastic mouldings holding floor down so had to put the wheel arm brackets as tight as I could to it, still wasn't enough clearance under boat, so turned them around , just hope it works ok, looks good to though
Old 14 October 2018, 19:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat View Post
Just finished fitting transom wheels, a bit awkward trying to get them in the right place, came across one problem that I couldn't do much about, had to put the wheel arms facing outwards because of the inflatable floor, has plastic mouldings holding floor down so had to put the wheel arm brackets as tight as I could to it, still wasn't enough clearance under boat, so turned them around , just hope it works ok, looks good to though
A picture is worth a thousand words
Old 14 October 2018, 19:36   #18

Agree... I wasn't quite sure if Combat meant the wheels are angled to the rear when down rather than under the transom.

If so... OK they'll work but if you are loaded with kit and/or have a long distance to trolley it will be heavy pull.
Old 14 October 2018, 20:18   #19

Quote:
Agree... I wasn't quite sure if Combat meant the wheels are angled to the rear when down rather than under the transom.

If so... OK they'll work but if you are loaded with kit and/or have a long distance to trolley it will be heavy pull.
Yeah you right, had to angle them to rear, couldn't get brackets low enough, because there are plastic mouldings holding floor down, I've put the brackets as low as I could , right up to edge of plastic moulding strip
Hopefully it will be ok. I'm not very happy that excel sold me wheels, that don't actually fit how they should.
Old 14 October 2018, 20:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words
I take some photos tomorrow, to show you