Old 11 April 2012, 17:37   #1

Town: london
Boat name: Noname
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4hp 2s
Fishing from SIB

Hi guys
Just got myself Zodiac cadet 310s for fishing .
Anyone else fish from inflatables on freshwater (mainly rivers).What kit do I need to make life easier ?
Old 11 April 2012, 19:39   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Rod holders would be good! Depending on where you plan to fish a VHF could come in handy. Plus a couple dry bags for storing clothing. A dry box for paper work and a cell phone. An anchor is a must have. We have an aluminum deck but sometimes put up a folding camp chair in the middle for comfort. Hours of fishing will probably leave you with a sore back unless you can stand or lean back against something once in a while.

Have fun!
Old 12 April 2012, 21:16   #3

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
In possible contrast to Peter C's post, I'd suggest fishing with the minimum of kit aboard.
On a small boat it's very easy to go overloaded and spend the day working around a load of clobber you never really needed. Stick to the bare essentials, IMO.

What rivers do you fish, and what do you target?

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 21:15   #4

Town: Brooklyn NY
Boat name: Lil Red Corvette
Make: Saturn 365
Engine: Outbd Zuki 20EFI
Have to agree with sharkbyte (his post actually made me smile). I spent the 1st year accumulating everything I could imagine would make my fishing life easier. I've spend the next 2 trying to pare it all down. MOST trips, I don't even use all of the pared down stuff. I'm always afraid I won't have something when I need it (left it home). Trouble is I never seem to need it!!!!!

That said, rod holders, anchor and vhf are all MUST haves. Not a matter of if but when.
Old 14 April 2012, 09:25   #5

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Dead right what sharkbyte says,cor you wanna see how much clobber we take on my small rubber duck,lol,Im always having a bright idea to cut stuff down and it gets bigger and bigger,lol,so a good storage system is a must.
Old 14 April 2012, 09:39   #6

Town: leeds
Boat name: nichola
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp yamaha
everthiing should have its own place! if it doesnt have a place its not needed thats my motto
Old 15 April 2012, 08:41   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Keep it simple apart from the rod and reel if I can't get it in my pocket it doesn't go especially in a small sib . when I ran my hard fishing boat a few years back would get people turning up with tackle boxes ,rod cases,usually coarse fishermen and i don't know why anyone would want a filleting knife on board .
Best way I find in a small inflatable is have a plastic box or crate that fish can be dropped into keeping all the crap /slime/blood and guts in one place also stops flapping fish with large treble hooks and pirks from getting the rest of the boat holed or hooked up .
Old 15 April 2012, 23:28   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Keep it simple apart from the rod and reel if I can't get it in my pocket it doesn't go especially in a small sib . when I ran my hard fishing boat a few years back would get people turning up with tackle boxes ,rod cases,usually coarse fishermen and i don't know why anyone would want a filleting knife on board .
Best way I find in a small inflatable is have a plastic box or crate that fish can be dropped into keeping all the crap /slime/blood and guts in one place also stops flapping fish with large treble hooks and pirks from getting the rest of the boat holed or hooked up .
Wot that man said!
Old 16 April 2012, 05:09   #9

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Rod holders store the rods up out of the boat so they don't get broken. The other perk of a rod holder is it saves space! A leash when not holding onto the rods keeps them from accidentally going overboard.

Here in the USA an anchor (Doesn't need to be a big one and the line just needs to be a short length of the appropriate size) and paddle are required to have onboard, as is a lifejacket for every person. Lifejackets also happen to make great cushions that allow you to sit on the floor and lean back against the tubes. All powered vessels are required to be registered, and you must carry the registration paper work which will need to be kept in a dry box or bag.

Radio is up to you, but anyone who has boated a fair amount has towed and been towed a number of times. "Last chance fisherman" is the guy who just happens to be passing you on his way home at the end of the day, otherwise you are walking thru a dark forest or rowing. Guess it depends where you are boating.

Needing warm dry clothes is again up to where and when you boat. We often need them, and boat all year around, and since our boat always seems to have spray and water inside, we use a dry bag which is fairly compact.
Old 16 April 2012, 06:22   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Here in the USA an anchor (Doesn't need to be a big one and the line just needs to be a short length of the appropriate size) and paddle are required to have onboard,
Required? Don't think so, for either, at least in California. Good idea? Of course.

No opinion on the fishing stuff, as I'm not much of a hook and line guy. Pete's suggestion for rod holders is sound, though; long fragile items don't seem to fare well on boats.

For small loose items, consider a medium size cooler; can be used as a seat when not underway, (can be used while underway, but expect to fall off of it at some point) and act as an overflow if you get on the fish or land one bigger-than-expected.

jky
Old 29 April 2012, 17:56   #11
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
We have a number of rules in Canada when it comes to minimal equipment onboard depending on boat length, sure happy I purchased a 12.5' SIB (to hold it all) Lol.