Old 13 December 2009, 20:30   #1

Make: Tohatsu
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20
First trip on the sea, advice needed

So, I have owned a couple of SIBs for the past few years and now have a 4 metre tohatsu with an 18hp evinrude. I spend a fair bit of time on the upper tidal thames and consider myself to be competent and sensible but have never taken it out onto the sea and am planning to do fishing in the near future.

What do I need to know about in terms of kit to purchase, handling on the sea and conditions?

Thanks.
Old 13 December 2009, 21:17   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrie Thames View Post
So, I have owned a couple of SIBs for the past few years and now have a 4 metre tohatsu with an 18hp evinrude.
You mean a Tohatsu 4 metre sib with a Tohatsu 18 HP engine, right ? Does Evinrude have a 18 model ? Here you will find plenty of mates that will give correct answers to what you are inquiring for.

Happy Sibbing
Old 13 December 2009, 22:03   #3

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
You mean a Tohatsu 4 metre sib with a Tohatsu 18 HP engine, right ? Does Evinrude have a 18 model ?

Happy Sibbing
HI LOCOZODIAC ,omc / evinrude did in the 1970s think it was same block / running gear as as 20hp ,might have been called fast twin or sea horse i forget now think they stopped making the 18 hp about 1972 ,i bought a 1973 model 20 hp,and when i wanted spares /impeller ect and the guy said it was a factory beefed up 18 hp .
Old 13 December 2009, 22:28   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrie Thames View Post
So, I have owned a couple of SIBs for the past few years and now have a 4 metre tohatsu with an 18hp evinrude. I spend a fair bit of time on the upper tidal thames and consider myself to be competent and sensible but have never taken it out onto the sea and am planning to do fishing in the near future.

What do I need to know about in terms of kit to purchase, handling on the sea and conditions?

Thanks.
Merrie,

There is a very good general "getting started thread" - which you should certainly take a look at.

I would also suggest that if you've not had any formal training then finding yourself an RYA (Powerboat level 2) course would be a good investment that would cover all the points you mentioned. Be aware that the course can be run inland - but that the RYA consider that affects boat handling etc enough that they "endorse" certificates to say so - so if you want to learn about boating in tidal waters the course needs to be run on tidal waters.
Old 14 December 2009, 06:56   #5

Make: Tohatsu
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20
The engine is an old 1972 18hp evinrude, but is in very good nick. Indeed marketed as 'fastwin'
Old 14 December 2009, 14:03   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Ah, the '72 Fastwin. One of the more genius "how many ways can you pronounce a name that both sounds impressive and says what it is no matter how you pronounce it! I have one of it's 25Hp Johnson cousins. Never failed to start or run yet....

Anyhow, back to the point of the thread! One thing that you may or may not have modified already is that back when that engine was made, the idea of a Deadman / Kill cord hadn't been invented. One thing for sure is you're more likely to go swimming in the relative rough of the sea, so I would (if not already done) replace the nice big red rubber "stop" button with a deadman switch & Kill cord. (stop enine by pulling cord off instead of pushing the button)

Your "kit list" will vary depending on what you plan to do and how many (if any) other boats you do it with, however assuming you aleady have an anchor, potentially a longer line for it (I'm no expert on the upper reaches of the Thames, but I guess probably shallower than a lot of places in the sea), and a handheld VHF & compass would be a good start.

As Pol says, there;s a couple of good articles here, and a PB2 will be worth its weight in mistakes later. (you will also stricly speaking need a VHF licence for a radio). There's lots of trips out down your conrner of the world. Could join them for the first couple of outings.
Old 15 December 2009, 00:34   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Trainings a good thing what part of the thames are you from. Nenley was?

The Getting Started guide is really god. I used to give a copy of it to my trainees when I ran training courses, with the AUTHORS PERMISSION

If you haven't much sea experience than I'd definite go for coastal based training.

Obviously waves make for a rougher ride and equipment failure makes for a long row home. Borrowing aa aux would be good 4hp should do fine

I'd empty my tanks (you need an aux source of fuel, and clean them throughly.Use fresh fuel and 2 stroke. Make sure you can switch your fuel tanks over easily. b ut if you need to transfer from one tank to the other then consider a Jiggle Syphon you can get them from Halfords or mail order

http://www.alexshanks.com/jiggle-syphon-p440

replace your split pin, castle nut washer on your prop, if you haven't done it recently

Stay warm and Stay lucky

cheers stu
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 07:39   #8

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I would also suggest that if you've not had any formal training then finding yourself an RYA (Powerboat level 2) course would be a good investment that would cover all the points you mentioned. Be aware that the course can be run inland - but that the RYA consider that affects boat handling etc enough that they "endorse" certificates to say so - so if you want to learn about boating in tidal waters the course needs to be run on tidal waters.
Well, that's not quite right. A level 2 certificate will show if the course was undertaken in a planing or displacement boat, and on inland or coastal waters. The endorsement for "Inland" courses is more because the training doesn't include everything that is a part of the "Coastal" course - for example, tides. Inland waters can still produce conditions that make life interesting (a rough day on a lake may be less than a rough day at sea ... but still rougher than a calm day at sea!), and a river flow isn't substantially different to a tidal stream in the effect it has on boat handling.
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 08:32   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
Well, that's not quite right. A level 2 certificate will show if the course was undertaken in a planing or displacement boat, and on inland or coastal waters. The endorsement for "Inland" courses is more because the training doesn't include everything that is a part of the "Coastal" course - for example, tides. Inland waters can still produce conditions that make life interesting (a rough day on a lake may be less than a rough day at sea ... but still rougher than a calm day at sea!), and a river flow isn't substantially different to a tidal stream in the effect it has on boat handling.
Ian thanks for clarifying that. That suggests that an inland school could choose to include the tidal theory elements and it would qualify for coastal status - is that true? I guess what I was trying to say was - if the OP is interested in going to sea make sure that the school she picks will be covering the relevant stuff though.
Old 15 December 2009, 10:29   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Trainings a good thing what part of the thames are you from. Nenley was?
should read Henlley, before you start Coming your sat nav for a fictitious place. I should have said to service the engine also
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 10:33   #11

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Ian thanks for clarifying that. That suggests that an inland school could choose to include the tidal theory elements and it would qualify for coastal status - is that true? I guess what I was trying to say was - if the OP is interested in going to sea make sure that the school she picks will be covering the relevant stuff though.
If only life were that simple Neil. No, only schools on the sea can offer coastal courses. Your point is one I absolutely agree with though, and my view mirrors other threads on the go at the moment (that seem to be generating unnecessary amounts of heat), simply ...

... the training should be appropriate for the activity
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote