Old 23 September 2014, 19:08   #1

Town: Doha
Boat name: Gringo
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
First time repair - some advice needed

I recently purchased a 15' Quicksilver Class C rib that's in need of some pretty serious work. I've got a lot of great info off these forums already, but have two issues that have me a bit stumped.

I have one compartment deflating. I sprayed it with soapy water and discovered that the valve has a slow leak. There's a video of it here:

Slow Leak - YouTube

I've also had to strip down the transom, which had been delaminating. The section where the transom connects with the boat has a glassy plastic coat over the wood that has shattered, so the varnished wood is visible underneath:

I'll be cleaning all the glue off and resticking, but I need some advice on how best to fill the broken plastic so that the PVC glue will stick to it. Will a bsic epoxy do it? Should I try roughen the wood surface or leave the varnish intact?

Thanks for the help
Old 23 September 2014, 20:17   #2

Town: Newton Abbot
Boat name: Morning Mist
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
I might able to assist with your first point, leaking valve should be an easy fix.
One solution is to google your boat then buy the valve from polymarine/ibs with a valve spanner simply unscrew the valve and put the new top in and tighten..

Or this sometimes works position your boat so the valve is facing up an pour a small amount of water in it then a cloth over the top and push the valve this will let air out and tiny bit of water in hopefully this will clear any debris
Hope this may help

Costa
Old 24 September 2014, 04:36   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
The valve cap leak may just be a leaky o-ring. All valves leak, it is the cap that does the actual sealing.

I would definitely clean the wood, and scuff it before gluing it again with a 2 part glue. Honestly I would carefully inspect the entire transom, and might be inclined to remove it completely and redo everything.
Old 24 September 2014, 11:56   #4

Town: Doha
Boat name: Gringo
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely give both tips a try shortly. I am considering removing the entire transom, but slightly concerned that I lack the experience in getting it all back together competently. Also, living in Qatar, there is no suitable glue that I can find anywhere and no air freight couriers will bring it in, so it's either 3-5 weeks wait or have a friend bring it over.
Old 24 September 2014, 13:34   #5

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
What has worked for me (sometimes) is partialy inflate the tube, undo the valve and then retighten . What happens sometimes is the tube crinkles under the valve which causes the leak.