Old 23 August 2015, 21:39   #11

Length: under 3m
I'm glad to report that the boat, replacement floorboard and the DIY h connector we made worked like a charm, despite a little water leaking through the one way bilge valve. However there is a slow constant leak through one of the valves, the o-rings are starting to wear out and are cracked. Also the pump is likely dry as a bone inside and very difficult to use; what is a safe lubricant to use on the pump and o-rings?

Old 24 August 2015, 17:07   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabiul View Post
I'm glad to report that the boat, replacement floorboard and the DIY h connector we made worked like a charm, despite a little water leaking through the one way bilge valve. However there is a slow constant leak through one of the valves, the o-rings are starting to wear out and are cracked. Also the pump is likely dry as a bone inside and very difficult to use; what is a safe lubricant to use on the pump and o-rings?
Probably Buna seals (i.e. standard O-ring material) in the pump. Silicone oil lubricant would probably be best, but is really expensive (and fairly hard to find.) Whatever you use, try to avoid petroleum products (or those with petroleum carriers/propellants/oils), as they tend to break down most rubber materials (both natural [latex] and synthetic [neoprene, Buna-N, EPDM, etc.).

If you can get a damp cotton swab in to the sealing area of the valve, you may just have some sand or other contaminant in there. Worth a shot.

jky

Old 24 August 2015, 21:30   #13

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabiul View Post
I recommend replacement. Once an o-ring is crazed, it will leak.

If your boat is 20-30 years old, the cap gasket, diaphragm, and o-ring should be replaced.
Old 25 August 2015, 13:16   #14

Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Probably Buna seals (i.e. standard O-ring material) in the pump. Silicone oil lubricant would probably be best, but is really expensive (and fairly hard to find.) Whatever you use, try to avoid petroleum products (or those with petroleum carriers/propellants/oils), as they tend to break down most rubber materials (both natural [latex] and synthetic [neoprene, Buna-N, EPDM, etc.).

If you can get a damp cotton swab in to the sealing area of the valve, you may just have some sand or other contaminant in there. Worth a shot.

jky
Indeed it is hard to find, the only stuff available locally is in an aerosol form with standard butane/propane carrier. I've used paslode cordless tool oil before on airgun seals without a problem so maybe that will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I recommend replacement. Once an o-ring is crazed, it will leak.

If your boat is 20-30 years old, the cap gasket, diaphragm, and o-ring should be replaced.
If I could find a replacement I would, I can probably order them from the states, but not in time for this season. I think I will try cutting vinyl disks or maybe some silicone caulking.