Old 21 June 2016, 02:41   #31

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Yes I think a lower pitch shold help your situation... but of course it's only in trying another prop that you'll know for sure.

The theory of a 4-blade is that it should help in the midrange where you need the grip to not fall off the plane so much and get back on quickly when you do.

The other accepted theory of a 4-blade is that you usually drop a pitch down from the 3-blade that would be correct for you.

So if a 9" 3-blade would have been a sensible option then in theory a 4-blade should be an 8".

Be interested to hear from others about this as I know the theory but have never used 4-blade props.

Old 21 June 2016, 03:37   #32

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
what hes saying is coming down to 9 inch pitch is like coming down a gear with your current prop the engine cant cope with hitting a wave and staying on the plane plus it will get on the plane quicker you will loose a bit of top end speed but that will be a small price to pay with the the performance you will get and a more consistent speed conditions allowing!

Old 21 June 2016, 12:46   #33

Town: teesside
Make: valiant v570
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 100
MMSI: 232012453
he might not lose any top speed if the higher pitch prop is not allowing full revs at wot. I had a fletcher arrowflash 15 with a mercury 75 the po had fitted a 21 pitch stainless prop believing it would give him more speed but it would barely pull my mrs out on two ski,s and flat out it was just touching 45 but then started porpoising badly so you had to have it trimmed all the way in and couldn't hold top speed .I changed to a 17 pitch and it pulled me mrs out on one ski easily and if I trimmed the motor out a bit top end rose to 48
Old 21 June 2016, 15:14   #34

Beerbelly is right if not achieving WOT you might not loose top speed but I guess in the conditions you had WOT wasn't achievable anyway for any length of time
Reading your original post if the waves were significant enough you would do well to stay in a straight line at WOT and bouncing off waves would be scary.
When you say WOT what was you RPM
Old 21 June 2016, 17:49   #35

Town: Southern California
Woa guys, appreciate all of the good feedback.

So would you suggest a 3 blade 9 pitch, or a 4 blade 9 pitch?

I honestly don't know what RPM I was running at. That's probably worth buying a small tach to see to ensure I don't over rev. Would you suggest I make the call on the pitch and prop once I know what RPM I'm running at? Thanks again.
Old 21 June 2016, 18:14   #36
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
It's almost impossible to optimise the prop selection properly without knowing what the rpm is.
Old 21 June 2016, 18:22   #37

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>> a 3 blade 9 pitch, or a 4 blade 9 pitch?

Diffficult call... we can all guess which we might choose but only trying on your boat with your motor and your load will prove which will do the job.

In many ways the 9" 3 blade is the safest option as that's what would have been on that motor as standard in the UK and will give good all round performance on many planing boats.

As I said before in theory to get to the same place with a 4 blade you need to pitch down to an 8".

I see props are cheaper in the USA than here. This looks the sort of thing you need... Solas Prop 1111-093-09 Mercury (48-82815) 9.25'' 9'' Pitch 3 Blade RT 9-15hp | eBay

Obviously check it is the right fit for your motor before ordering.

Edit: Poly is right of course tach readings would be very useful but I'm pretty sure a 9" pitch 3 blade would be a far better starting point than where you are now.
Old 22 June 2016, 03:00   #38

fenlander & poly are absolutely right but i would have a run out in calm conditions with the weight you are going to carry first with a tacho that will be your bench mark, me personally do quite a bit of trialing before buying my second prop.just bear in mind if the conditions are rough you will be off the plane more than on and for safety and comfort it sometimes better at displacement speed anyway.

cheers
Old 23 June 2016, 16:23   #39

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Ive played around with all sorts of props, stainless and ali, 3,4 and 5 blade. In the end they all end up on ebay (even the 500 High Five )

My advice is stick with the original diameter and number of blades, unless you have a very specialized set up (you havent) . Play around with the pitch, as said above, dropping down an inch or so will give you better control over the initial stages of planing at the cost of top speed.