Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 August 2014, 12:17   #1
Member
 
jwatson's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 253
First SIB: Bombard Aerotec 380

Hi guys. After many hours convincing myself that a SIB is far more suited to my needs than an SR4 I think I've settled on an aerotec. From what I can gather they have the best hull design giving as close to rib handling as possible, I was at first unsure about the air-floor but after plenty of browsing I'm led to believe they aren't all that more flexible than an aluminium floor. Coupled with a 25hp I think it's going to be all I need. Have my hours of late night forum-searching served me well or am I miles off?!
My next issue is locating a good second hand one!! Are there any things specific to the bombard to look out for and is there anything I should be aware of?
That said I've just come across 2 good quicksilvers for sale not so far from me. How do these compare? More than likely I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. I'm assuming you're going to say just get the best deal!
Thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
jwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 14:01   #2
Member
 
jwatson's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 253
What I'm getting at is wether the deep vee is worth sacrificing the Ali floor for. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
jwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 15:36   #3
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
If you're planning to inflate the boat each time you use it, then pack it away again, you'll appreciate the air floor very quickly.

Actually you'll probably only really appreciate it if you go for the ali floor!
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 15:41   #4
Member
 
jwatson's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 253
No it will be on a trailer or on the roof 90% of the time. Aerotec is purely an option due to the hull shape. Did it not have the 'deep' vee I'd be looking at Alu floor all day long for practicality. Although it's no doubt a lot lighter too
__________________
jwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 16:05   #5
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Why is it you want to go from a Sr4 to a sib?
__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 17:09   #6
Member
 
Deekus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
Hi guys. After many hours convincing myself that a SIB is far more suited to my needs than an SR4 I think I've settled on an aerotec. From what I can gather they have the best hull design giving as close to rib handling as possible, I was at first unsure about the air-floor but after plenty of browsing I'm led to believe they aren't all that more flexible than an aluminium floor. Coupled with a 25hp I think it's going to be all I need. Have my hours of late night forum-searching served me well or am I miles off?!
My next issue is locating a good second hand one!! Are there any things specific to the bombard to look out for and is there anything I should be aware of?
That said I've just come across 2 good quicksilvers for sale not so far from me. How do these compare? More than likely I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. I'm assuming you're going to say just get the best deal!
Thanks in advance.

You will not be dissapointed with the aerotec if you can find one that is!!
The fact that they are like hen's teeth speaks volumes about their popularity

If you do happen to get one, the best tip i can give you is make sure you inflate the deep 'v' correctly and it will perform brilliantly.

I had a Yam 15hp on mine and it was an excellent match. This is the engine that the manufacturer recommends.

Good luck
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Time is precious, waste it wisely!
Deekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 17:29   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,692
Easily the best all-round SIB out there in terms of ticking more of the 'SIB advantage over RIB' boxes than any other SIB but out on the water a SR4 will still out perform it of course.

My thoughts here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...ass-62326.html

And in the sticky at top of this forum.

They are not that rare, you should find one easily enough in the close season.

Newer the better probably as glue can fail on older Zodiacs but as ever check over carefully, especially the seams on the floor, transom/fabric joins, look for the well known issue of seat mounts wearing against the tube (very easy prevention).

Just look for an obviously well cared for one and you won't go far wrong.
__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 17:32   #8
Member
 
jwatson's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Why is it you want to go from a Sr4 to a sib?

Ease of launching, running costs, ease of beaching & re launching. I've never even entertained the idea of owning a sib until I stumbled upon the gurnards adventures. I'd never be doing any more than that and am not experienced enough to brave even slightly rough waters so it's a no brainier really.
__________________
jwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 17:35   #9
Member
 
jwatson's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Easily the best all-round SIB out there in terms of ticking more of the 'SIB advantage over RIB' boxes than any other SIB but out on the water a SR4 will still out perform it of course.

My thoughts here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...ass-62326.html

And in the sticky at top of this forum.

They are not that rare, you should find one easily enough in the close season.

Newer the better probably as glue can fail on older Zodiacs but as ever check over carefully, especially the seams on the floor, transom/fabric joins, look for the well known issue of seat mounts wearing against the tube (very easy prevention).

Just look for an obviously well cared for one and you won't go far wrong.

Yep have read that post twice pal!! I am under no illusion that it will match an sr4's fantastic reputation but the pros certainly outweigh the cons for me
__________________
jwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 18:02   #10
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Well I'm lucky enough to own a Sr4 and a Aerotec 3.8 and I love both if I had to chose between them the the Sr would be the best all rounder for me
It's still light enough I can push it down the beach if it drys out (just) can fit the whole family in and great for beach hopping.
The Aerotec is great for stashing in the back of the car if I do not want to tow the trailer and I can stick it on the car roof for a quick launch, the 15hp pushes it with just me to 20 knt
Tuff call!
__________________

__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.