Old 26 August 2014, 16:17   #1

Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
First SIB: Bombard Aerotec 380

Hi guys. After many hours convincing myself that a SIB is far more suited to my needs than an SR4 I think I've settled on an aerotec. From what I can gather they have the best hull design giving as close to rib handling as possible, I was at first unsure about the air-floor but after plenty of browsing I'm led to believe they aren't all that more flexible than an aluminium floor. Coupled with a 25hp I think it's going to be all I need. Have my hours of late night forum-searching served me well or am I miles off?!
My next issue is locating a good second hand one!! Are there any things specific to the bombard to look out for and is there anything I should be aware of?
That said I've just come across 2 good quicksilvers for sale not so far from me. How do these compare? More than likely I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. I'm assuming you're going to say just get the best deal!
Thanks in advance.
Old 26 August 2014, 18:01   #2

What I'm getting at is wether the deep vee is worth sacrificing the Ali floor for. Thanks!
Old 26 August 2014, 19:36   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
If you're planning to inflate the boat each time you use it, then pack it away again, you'll appreciate the air floor very quickly.

Actually you'll probably only really appreciate it if you go for the ali floor!
Old 26 August 2014, 19:41   #4

No it will be on a trailer or on the roof 90% of the time. Aerotec is purely an option due to the hull shape. Did it not have the 'deep' vee I'd be looking at Alu floor all day long for practicality. Although it's no doubt a lot lighter too
Old 26 August 2014, 20:05   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Why is it you want to go from a Sr4 to a sib?
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 21:09   #6

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
Hi guys. After many hours convincing myself that a SIB is far more suited to my needs than an SR4 I think I've settled on an aerotec. From what I can gather they have the best hull design giving as close to rib handling as possible, I was at first unsure about the air-floor but after plenty of browsing I'm led to believe they aren't all that more flexible than an aluminium floor. Coupled with a 25hp I think it's going to be all I need. Have my hours of late night forum-searching served me well or am I miles off?!
My next issue is locating a good second hand one!! Are there any things specific to the bombard to look out for and is there anything I should be aware of?
That said I've just come across 2 good quicksilvers for sale not so far from me. How do these compare? More than likely I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. I'm assuming you're going to say just get the best deal!
Thanks in advance.

You will not be dissapointed with the aerotec if you can find one that is!!
The fact that they are like hen's teeth speaks volumes about their popularity

If you do happen to get one, the best tip i can give you is make sure you inflate the deep 'v' correctly and it will perform brilliantly.

I had a Yam 15hp on mine and it was an excellent match. This is the engine that the manufacturer recommends.

Good luck
Old 26 August 2014, 21:29   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Easily the best all-round SIB out there in terms of ticking more of the 'SIB advantage over RIB' boxes than any other SIB but out on the water a SR4 will still out perform it of course.

My thoughts here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...ass-62326.html

And in the sticky at top of this forum.

They are not that rare, you should find one easily enough in the close season.

Newer the better probably as glue can fail on older Zodiacs but as ever check over carefully, especially the seams on the floor, transom/fabric joins, look for the well known issue of seat mounts wearing against the tube (very easy prevention).

Just look for an obviously well cared for one and you won't go far wrong.
Old 26 August 2014, 21:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Why is it you want to go from a Sr4 to a sib?

Ease of launching, running costs, ease of beaching & re launching. I've never even entertained the idea of owning a sib until I stumbled upon the gurnards adventures. I'd never be doing any more than that and am not experienced enough to brave even slightly rough waters so it's a no brainier really.
Old 26 August 2014, 21:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Easily the best all-round SIB out there in terms of ticking more of the 'SIB advantage over RIB' boxes than any other SIB but out on the water a SR4 will still out perform it of course.

My thoughts here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...ass-62326.html

And in the sticky at top of this forum.

They are not that rare, you should find one easily enough in the close season.

Newer the better probably as glue can fail on older Zodiacs but as ever check over carefully, especially the seams on the floor, transom/fabric joins, look for the well known issue of seat mounts wearing against the tube (very easy prevention).

Just look for an obviously well cared for one and you won't go far wrong.

Yep have read that post twice pal!! I am under no illusion that it will match an sr4's fantastic reputation but the pros certainly outweigh the cons for me
Old 26 August 2014, 22:02   #10

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Well I'm lucky enough to own a Sr4 and a Aerotec 3.8 and I love both if I had to chose between them the the Sr would be the best all rounder for me
It's still light enough I can push it down the beach if it drys out (just) can fit the whole family in and great for beach hopping.
The Aerotec is great for stashing in the back of the car if I do not want to tow the trailer and I can stick it on the car roof for a quick launch, the 15hp pushes it with just me to 20 knt
Tuff call!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2014, 22:58   #11

It is indeed!! I only have room for one. The way I see it is that the aero will do everything I would do on an sr and more. However if one came up at a good price.....
Old 27 August 2014, 06:11   #12
Administrator

Quote:
No it will be on a trailer or on the roof 90% of the time. Aerotec is purely an option due to the hull shape. Did it not have the 'deep' vee I'd be looking at Alu floor all day long for practicality. Although it's no doubt a lot lighter too

Apart from being a bit lighter there's no real benefit of an Aerotec if you're keeping it on a trailer. It won't perform any better than an ali floor SIB with an inflatable keel, the point is that it's an air floor that is just as good as a hard floor SIB.

Going for a conventional SIB gives you more options, and will probably be cheaper and have more space.
Old 27 August 2014, 09:06   #13

Thanks that's an interesting point. The thing I'm most concerned about is the best hull design although I wouldn't entertain an inflatable floor were it not for the hull shape. How much weight are we talking for an Ali floor? And am I over thinking things?!!
Old 27 August 2014, 10:16   #14
Administrator

Have you considered a light weight aluminum RIB instead? I haven't tried one yet, but I would expect them to outperform any comparable SIB.

Have a look at Ribeye and Highfield for some examples. The biggest drawback is likely to be a lack of second hand availability though.
Old 27 August 2014, 11:37   #15

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
How much weight are we talking for an Ali floor? And am I over thinking things?!!

Aerotec 380 - 43kg
Zodiac 350 Alumin. - 67kg
Old 27 August 2014, 13:18   #16

First SIB: Bombard Aerotec 380

Christ I thought that was the weight of the floor for a second!! 24kg is still significant though I guess
Old 27 August 2014, 13:36   #17

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Christ I thought that was the weight of the floor for a second!! 24kg is still significant though I guess

Yep its significant if you are inflating and rolling each time, thats why the Bombard is so good, it can be easily handled by 1 person.

But if its on a trailer, the difference is not worth mentioning.
Old 27 August 2014, 13:41   #18

Ok that's good. Guess it's the same as 20L fuel. Ish.
Old 27 August 2014, 18:46   #19

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Having owned all these options and a SR I'd say that weight is extremly significant and makes all the difference (especially if you lean it up in a garage or shove it up on a Landy roof liek we do) as does the fact the bottom of a SIB is 'soft' and thefore a lot more forgiving when launching on the beach.

I'd disagree slightly with John though, if the typical airfloor (with *very* mild 'V' floor) scores a 3 or 4 out of 10 in the handling stakes and maybe a solid floor SIB hits 5 or 6 then the Aerotec is a definite 7 or 8 IMHO. This allowing that a SR might be a 10+

I love SIB's but my old SR 4.7 was a bit special too. Comes down to compromise as ever - if you will always use a trailer, have access to a slipway and are happy with the higher fuel/running costs etc then a small RIB is great.
Old 27 August 2014, 21:23   #20

So, after considering all the advice given and weighing up my options I've just been to view a quicksilver 3.8....and bought it! Only up the motorway from me which is a bonus because they are few and far between when you live as inland as possible! It's mega clean and is the alu floor version with a mariner 25. Despite having no trailer we agreed what I thought was a fair price. Will get me back out on the water if nothing else. I may keep my eyes peeled for an aerotec but I can see me learning to love the solid floor. Also has the steering and throttle 'cockpit' conversion which I am still undecided on.