Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 07 June 2011, 05:03   #21

Make: Promarine
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25hp 2002 Johnson
Provided you still control the engine with the tiller handle, consider a tiller extension. Helps get your weight forward and down. a 25 gets me out f'n quick
Old 07 June 2011, 06:31   #22

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Has anyone got more tips for beach launching a small 3 - 3.2m SIB? Planning to do this in very calm conditions only but most beaches here are pebble/shingle with a reasonably steep entry. At times it will be just me and the 8 year old.

Watched two guys launch at the weekend in a 3m QS - they steadied it then jumped in while one rowed out 10 yards before starting. Looked very smooth but it was an offshore F4...

How about coming back - is it best to directly beach it? Put transom wheels down before coming in??! Or even come in stern first?
Old 07 June 2011, 07:02   #23

Make: Promarine
Engine: 25hp 2002 Johnson
Good wide transom wheels are a good start for stoney beaches. bow out and bow in would be safest and keep you the driest. A quick paddle out with the oars is a good move.

Another option is going stern/back out while someone holds the bow/front and then you can drop the motor, start it, get the guy to jump in and then reverse out. Just don't fight the wind if there is any, and take the start early option (onshore for example).

Hope this info's of some use, but just have a play. You'll soon find out what doesn't work!
Old 07 June 2011, 17:32   #24

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
i roll mine in on the launch wheels, get it in to deep enough water to drop the motor in the drink, fold the wheels up.

If there is two of us i jump in get my mate to steady the boat, start it he hops in and of we go.

If i am on my own i row out abit then drop and start the motor.

Ive never had a problem but never launched in choppy waters!

ALWAYS go head on into a wave.

When returning, get the wheels down whilst your still out, bring the boat in to shallow (ish) water switch of the outboard and lift it up and lock it in position, then you will find that the waves/current/wind will play a part and if in the right direction will take you in a bit, then just jump out and roll it in.

I wouldnt fancy beeching a SIB, probably doable but i wouldnt wanna risk damaging the bottom.

Good luck, you will enjoy it when you get there.
Old 07 June 2011, 18:30   #25

Town: Oakland CA
How about tossing a kedge anchor to hold yourself in place offshore until you get everything going on the boat? It'll help keep your bow pointed seaward, and should also help somewhat to keep the bow down in bigger waves. Motor forward slowly while recovering it, and you should be clear of the surf.

jky
Old 07 June 2011, 19:06   #26

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
jky- The kedge anchor suggestion is a good one for windy choppy conditions! Mechanical advantage, spin the bow around, hold position momentarily, check for water depth under prop, pull farther out if necessary, start outboard and pick your timing through any waves rather than be pressed by the drift. I like it. Need a small anchor to throw.

I usually have assistance for that sort of start, so I got rid of the nonfunctional narrow blade paddles that came with my boat and I sport rafting paddles. No messing around if there are two paddlers. We can move the boat well.

If it is just local wind swell (consistent short interval) or shore pound waves there may be no simple cheat. But when the waves are coming out of deeper water or with a long fetch it is worthwhile to sit and watch for lulls. Start launching as the last of the set waves is still reaching the beach. I watched fishermen in Mexico launch 18 ft pangas off a shallow flat sand beach in between overhead walled out hollow surf. We stood around for 30 minutes, then they sprang into action. They had the boat in the water and spun around by hand with the water drawing out pulling the boat bow first into water that was a little deeper. Slick move with a 90 on the back. If they get caught they turn and come back in. Best lesson I've had, though I still won't go when it's breaking like that. I also sit, float and watch before crossing bars. I seriously thought the fishermen were slacking rather than being patient.

Nothing is a fiasco if you didn't break anything.
Old 08 June 2011, 05:23   #27

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
Nothing is a fiasco if you didn't break anything.

Amen to that.

jky
Old 08 June 2011, 22:34   #28

Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
Cheers for the lifting remarks and advice,, i`m ready for another crack at it now i reckon
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote