Old 27 April 2012, 17:13   #1

Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
First sea trip advice

Hi,

I'm planning on using my SIB on the sea for the first time soon around Helford and Falmouth. I've been beavering away buying extra safety kit because so far I've only used it inland. Can anyone think of anything I really should have that's not listed?:

-2kg Bruce type anchor (from what I've read the grapnel I had would be useless)
-4m of chain
-50m of 8mm anchor rope (not sure if that's enough really)
-round ended knife
-inshore flare pack
-auto-inflating life jackets
-spare kill cord
-first aid kit
-charts
-5 litre of spare fuel
-VHF radio

Also if conditions are good, I was thinking about crossing from Falmouth to Helford and back, would that be reasonable in a 4 meter Honwave with a 20HP straight across the bay? looks like I would need to be about a mile out for that.. would I likely pooh my pants?

Thanks

Matt
Old 27 April 2012, 18:29   #2

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
For those going out to sea, the RNLI's top sea safety tips are:
  1. Wear a lifejacket
  2. Get relevant training
  3. Carry a means of calling for help
  4. Check engine and fuel
  5. Tell others where you are going
  6. Check weather and tides.
Looking at the list
1 is covered
2 ?
3 is well covered
4 a third out, a third back and a third in reserve
5 never forget
6 very important

Your anchor is very good but a grapnel is not as bad as it's press if the correct weight is used.
Your anchor rode is plently long
In terms of basic nav - do you have a hand compass and laminated chart or a handheld chartplotter/GPS.

Have a good trip and take plently of photos
Old 27 April 2012, 18:40   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD View Post
Hi,

Also if conditions are good, I was thinking about crossing from Falmouth to Helford and back, would that be reasonable in a 4 meter Honwave with a 20HP straight across the bay? looks like I would need to be about a mile out for that.. would I likely pooh my pants?

Matt
We live on the Helford side, our 15yo daughter does that trip regularly in our 4m Searider wthout soiling her under-crackers, but she's double 'ard.
A few weeks ago, I saw a couple of clowns crossing the bay on stand-up paddle boards in the dark with no lights whatsoever.

Fal Bay is well sheltered and in full view of Fal CG station. With the kit that you have, a trip across the bay will be fun. Maybe avoid a full Southerly or SE blow.
Old 27 April 2012, 19:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
For those going out to sea, the RNLI's top sea safety tips are:
  1. Wear a lifejacket
  2. Get relevant training
  3. Carry a means of calling for help
  4. Check engine and fuel
  5. Tell others where you are going
  6. Check weather and tides.
Looking at the list
1 is covered
2 ?
3 is well covered
4 a third out, a third back and a third in reserve
5 never forget
6 very important

Your anchor is very good but a grapnel is not as bad as it's press if the correct weight is used.
Your anchor rode is plently long
In terms of basic nav - do you have a hand compass and laminated chart or a handheld chartplotter/GPS.

Have a good trip and take plently of photos
Thanks for the advice. The training part is not covered, I have read about the subject.. a lot, used boats before and understand the importance of training. I want to do RYA Powerboat 2 and will but can't afford it right now having bought all the kit, plus the holiday costs. I don't want to be irresponsible so if you or others think I should get training please say, I won't be offended

For Nav I have a hand compass and charts (they aren't laminated...yet ) I was thinking about buying the Navionics Android app for chartplotter/GPS but decided to buy the actual charts instead. I was starting to think I should by the app too. You asking has made my mind up.

Matt
Old 27 April 2012, 19:59   #5

Doubled up.
Old 27 April 2012, 20:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
We live on the Helford side, our 15yo daughter does that trip regularly in our 4m Searider wthout soiling her under-crackers, but she's double 'ard.
A few weeks ago, I saw a couple of clowns crossing the bay on stand-up paddle boards in the dark with no lights whatsoever.

Fal Bay is well sheltered and in full view of Fal CG station. With the kit that you have, a trip across the bay will be fun. Maybe avoid a full Southerly or SE blow.
Excellent thanks, I can take man nappies off my check list!
Old 27 April 2012, 20:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Matt, there's a Disco cruise that runs from Falmouth to the Helford and back on Fri and Sat eves in the summer. You could try following it for your first bay crossing. As long as you dodge the empty beer cans and pasty bags, you should be ok.
It will be in the next couple of weeks, when does the Disco cruise start.. and to they play drum and bass . If the weather doesn't improve I'll be dodging empty beer cans swiming after my boat when it floats out of my garage
Old 27 April 2012, 20:19   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Sheffield
Length: no boat
It's a route I've done a few times with the family in a Bombard Aerotec, as Mollers says it should be a fun trip, we always thought so.

As far as charts go I always used a decent quality (Berghaus) map case designed for hill walking, I fold the chart so the entire route is on one side and have an OS map of the area folded on the other side. This has always worked well for me and is easy to use. Remember a SIB journey can be bouncy and wet, for me the simplicity of a large, relatively cheap, piece of paper wins every time for that kind of trip.
Old 28 April 2012, 16:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
It's a route I've done a few times with the family in a Bombard Aerotec, as Mollers says it should be a fun trip, we always thought so.

As far as charts go I always used a decent quality (Berghaus) map case designed for hill walking, I fold the chart so the entire route is on one side and have an OS map of the area folded on the other side. This has always worked well for me and is easy to use. Remember a SIB journey can be bouncy and wet, for me the simplicity of a large, relatively cheap, piece of paper wins every time for that kind of trip.
Thanks for the tip.

Matt
Old 28 April 2012, 17:15   #10

Town: akranes
Boat name: no name
Make: zodiac mk11 grand
Engine: 30 hp yam
sound,s like your taking alot of stuff in your boat how many people are going ? there wont be much space left keep your eye on the weather and take with you some CALM you will be fine.....iceland
Old 28 April 2012, 17:23   #11

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Dress warm with some decent water/wind proof clothes ,
in a sib no matter what unless its absalutely flat calm ,,,your probelly going to get your arses wet at some stage ,LOL

Have you a set of oars or a paddle !

with regards to paper charts in small inflatables (and you have probelly done this )its sometimes best to plot your course / waypoints on a seperate piece or write them down on a divers waterproof slate and then keep refering back to the chart ,,,, dont forget too that in a fast bouncing inflatable your probelly best can only keep within about 10 deg of your compass course .
heres hoping you have a bit of sunsine to make the day go well ,
Old 28 April 2012, 18:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceland View Post
sound,s like your taking alot of stuff in your boat how many people are going ? there wont be much space left keep your eye on the weather and take with you some CALM you will be fine.....iceland
Four of us will be going. I don't think space will be too much of a problem, most of the stuff fits in the seat bag and my rucksack.

I'm probably being a bit of an old woman but my line of work has drummed health and safety into me to the point of no return! Also when I was a kid my dad bought a speed boat on a whim, didn't buy any kit, not even charts and we hit a submerged rock on the first trip (luckily only minor damage) and then the car got stuck trying to recover the boat and needed a tractor to pull both out

Got everything now, can't wait to get out and enjoy my first sea trip

Matt
Old 28 April 2012, 18:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Dress warm with some decent water/wind proof clothes ,
in a sib no matter what unless its absalutely flat calm ,,,your probelly going to get your arses wet at some stage ,LOL

Have you a set of oars or a paddle !

with regards to paper charts in small inflatables (and you have probelly done this )its sometimes best to plot your course / waypoints on a seperate piece or write them down on a divers waterproof slate and then keep refering back to the chart ,,,, dont forget too that in a fast bouncing inflatable your probelly best can only keep within about 10 deg of your compass course .
heres hoping you have a bit of sunsine to make the day go well ,
Yep, I suppose I should dress for the occasion, I've managed to get my arse plenty wet on the river so I'm expecting a proper soaking lol.

It has fitted oars, so that's ok. Thanks for the tips and I hopefully the sun will come out to play for the occasion.

Matt
Old 28 April 2012, 18:47   #14

Town: akranes
Boat name: no name
Make: zodiac mk11 grand
Engine: 30 hp yam
i wear a one piece flotation suit and wellingtons on our boat keeps me warm and dryish when fishing etc spare fuel 10 ltr basic tool kit plug spanner plugs etc we are most of the time only 2 sometimes 3 in the boat great fun love it...my dream is a zodiac 550 explorer one day maybe plenty of islands nice coast line etc here but the summer is fairly short........iceland
Old 28 April 2012, 19:11   #15

Where are you based in the SW Matt?
Old 28 April 2012, 19:13   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceland View Post
i wear a one piece flotation suit and wellingtons on our boat keeps me warm and dryish when fishing etc spare fuel 10 ltr basic tool kit plug spanner plugs etc we are most of the time only 2 sometimes 3 in the boat great fun love it...my dream is a zodiac 550 explorer one day maybe plenty of islands nice coast line etc here but the summer is fairly short........iceland
I went to Iceland a few years ago, beautiful country. bet boating there is great, although I wouldn't fancy it the time of year I went, was November! Defiantly plan to go back again sometime, would have already but it's so expensive for us Brits. I remember the shock when I bought a larger and worked out it cost £7 Had a great time none the less and my liver got a holiday too

Planning getting a 4 meter rib in a few years and dream of owning a small cruiser in a several more.
Old 28 April 2012, 19:18   #17

I'm based in Gloucester. Good for rivers but nearest nice coast is around 100 miles away, the Severn estuary isn't far but scares the crap out of me. Hazards galore lol.
Old 28 April 2012, 19:45   #18

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
I'm probably being a bit of an old woman but my line of work has drummed health and safety into me to the point of no return! Matt
To me its not elf and safety - it is safety and FUN - better looking at it than for it especially when you are responsible as a skipper for the welfare of others
Old 28 April 2012, 20:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
To me its not elf and safety - it is safety and FUN - better looking at it than for it especially when you are responsible as a skipper for the welfare of others
That is my main concern to be honest, if it was just me I'd be prepared to take more risks. Hopefully I won't need most of the stuff I have bought but at least I have peace of mind that should something go wrong I have things in place to deal with it.... short of a meteor strike

Matt
Old 28 April 2012, 21:13   #20

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
Quote:
I went to Iceland a few years ago, beautiful country. bet boating there is great, although I wouldn't fancy it the time of year I went, was November! Defiantly plan to go back again sometime, would have already but it's so expensive for us Brits. I remember the shock when I bought a larger and worked out it cost £7 Had a great time none the less and my liver got a holiday too

Planning getting a 4 meter rib in a few years and dream of owning a small cruiser in a several more.
I remember getting a ferry to one of the volcanic islands last year, probably the biggest waves I'll ever see without actually getting wet. I think I was the only one who enjoyed the trip, I even helped out my friends and bought them some overpriced chips to try and cure their seasickness shame it had negative effects...

On another note you've got to love icelands health and safety policy, everything's your own fault. 30 meter drops without a guard rail in sight.