Old 31 August 2007, 19:54   #1

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
First Launch!

Ok i have finally got everything together for the first lanuch of my 3.7m SIB / 50hp OB tommorrow with my partner!

I live near brighton and see shoreham has some slips i can use...

Im a bit apprehensive about it and i cant call on anyone for help. Can you guys give me a breakdown of how to try and make this go smoothly? The difficulty i can see is us 2 having difficulty gently getting it in the water, and recovering it up the ramp - 2 little man power to do it by hand?

It came with 2 little launch wheels that the previous owner used to launch, or the trailer im using to get it their (a volvo estate FWD)- i guess with the trailer i can use the car to back it down to the water and pull it out but it may end up with rusty bearings.

Which method would people reccommend? If i do back the car down the ramp do i tie the trailer off to the towbar or leave it attatched? If i use the launch wheels is it worth tying the front off to the car to take the load?

Thankyou very much, once ive got this out the way i will be much happier about it all!
Old 31 August 2007, 20:13   #2

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
hi, I would try & launch without the trailor as you wonīt wreck your car, trailor or get the trailor nicked so 3 good reasons. If you take rope then if you find it too difficult retrieving then use the car for help by wrapping round tow bar. After blasting round all day we donīt have much energy left & just want to get home.

I launch on a gradual slip which is good for the car & clutch, ie, little weight to pull, but have nearly been caught out by a wave swamping the car - keep the engine running to stop water coming up the exhaust.

Also, I make sure the boat is attached to something before I start the engine. Itīs my worst nightmare drifting off to sea & I canīt start the engine.

Hope it helps, I watched others make loads of errors before I tried for the first time - launching is a bit of a spectator sport here, just takes practice.

Let your partner helm too or you will be on your own for future outings.

Cheers
Old 31 August 2007, 20:29   #3

some good advice - esp lettering partner take the helm - too true!
So you reckon i should stick with the launch wheels with the car for help if needed - the only thing that concerns me about ditching the trailer is keeping the front from bottoming out if i use the car to tow it out, as only the back has wheels and the slope will naturally angle towards the front of the boat - i will find this out when im there but it may be a costly lesson!
Old 31 August 2007, 21:00   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
jeepers...did you say a 50hp engine on a 3.7m SIB!!!
well....that thing will fly. It will also be heavy when trying to move it.
Just be careful and take things slowly. If the launching wheels are up to it and the ramp not too bumpy, the 2 of you should be able to pull it up the ramp no probs. Have fun!!
Old 31 August 2007, 21:03   #5

ok thanks that gives me some confidence! on our gravel sloping driveway it takes 3 to push it up but im hoping the slip will be a bit easier... i might rope some people in to help me if there are any onlookers.
Old 31 August 2007, 21:05   #6

thinking about it, it may be easier than i feared as alot of the weight must be the trailer! Hadnt thought of that... last question: it doesnt seem my OB has a shallow water setting on it (a yammie xmh) should i keep the engine inclined during launch and drop it when in the water?

I know their obviosu questions to you lot but not to me unfortunately
Old 31 August 2007, 21:46   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
What sort of launch wheels are they? If they are the big inflatable ones you will be fine - if they are the small rigid plastic ones - change them!!!

Remember the wheels are at the transom so make sure everything is at the back - ie fuel tank etc. makes life much easier.
Old 31 August 2007, 21:55   #8

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
I would be tempted to try the launching wheels, although with a 50HP outboard your rig may be too heavy for them?

I'd suggest having a play at home before going to a slip - ok its flat, but you'll know soon enough how easy the wheels will be to use, or if they are a non starter.

Depends on the design of the trailer, but could you drop the trailer down until just before the wheels go in the water, then lift the bow of the boat and slide it off the trailer onto the launching wheels for the very short distance before the boat floats?

Its also worth watching a few other people launch and recover, to see what works (or more often what doesn't!)

Once in the water, I tend to get into my SIB and leave Mrs Chris123 holding it near the bow with the transom pointing out to sea (assuming no big waves). Kill cord on, check the OB is in neutral and start it. Let the idle settle and wait for a clear exit out from the slip. Once clear , tell Mrs C to hop in before engaging reverse and off you go.

Returning to the slip, take your time, come in nice and slow, trim the motor up in plenty of time. I tend to coast in, just intermittently dropping the OB into gear and giving a quick blast of revs before dropping it back into neutral, ready to stop the OB and haul it up, with Mrs C jumping out just before the boat touches.

Only other thing I'd say is if you don't have much experience with boats, take it steady with the throttle until you are used to it, as it will accelerate very quickly which can take you by surprise.

Cheers

Chris
Old 01 September 2007, 06:45   #9

good ideas, i will try and have a play this morning and i did think about trailing it down half way - however the launch wheels (inflatable type) can not go on when the boat is on thr trailer on a flat surface - there too high so wont fit in.

The guy used to reverse the trailer until the back overhung the ramp, then fit the wheels...

As for landing, my manual says i have a shallow water setting for a half tilted setting which i thought was great. However after a thorough check i definitely cannot find this. I take it im left to just shut it down and pull it right out of the water into a full tilt when im close to the slipway?
Old 01 September 2007, 09:03   #10

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewUkR6 View Post
As for landing, my manual says i have a shallow water setting for a half tilted setting which i thought was great. However after a thorough check i definitely cannot find this. I take it im left to just shut it down and pull it right out of the water into a full tilt when im close to the slipway?
It sounds like it, yes. Not sure how common it is, but on my OB there is a lever that will either lock the OB in the down position (useful in reverse to stop the prop climbing out of the water) or allow it to lift if it hits anything - make sure your OB is free to lift as you approach the slip.

The best approach will depend on the nature of the slip (eg how steep it is) and how clear the water is (to judge when to lift the OB).

I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution, at least until you are more familiar with your rig and launch site - lift the OB early and paddle in. If you haven't got any paddles yet, I've found the 'praddle' to be a handy piece of kit:

http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetai...productID/1809

Works well in a sailing dinghy and should be fine for a SIB.

Cheers

Chris
Old 01 September 2007, 12:05   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Why fit the wheels? Aren't they the type that swing up in the air when finished with?

It is even possible to lock the wheels down BEFORE you come in and then you can keep the leg down and power up the slip till the bow touches - makes life so easy.
Old 01 September 2007, 17:57   #12

Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
There's a lot of good advice already been posted......

I would suggest also wherever possible that when you get where you're going, park up away from the main slip if you can, and go on foot to have a good look at the area.

That way, you can see which will be the best approach for reversing a trailer, or if the end of the slipway has a three foot drop off, which you can't see, which side to put out your lines/ fenders, etc etc..

This will also allow you both to work out a plan of action.

Once you know what your going to do, I would get the boat set up ready to go into the water, i.e. fuel cans in place and all the things you are taking out, lines ready. Leave the engine up.

It works well for us to put a long line on the bow, and a line off whichever side the boat will be tied up to.

Reverse the trailer into the water, until the car wheels are nearly at the water, then stop. Make sure you can see the other person, and they are not behind the trailer, or anyone else for that matter.

Switch off the car engine, put the car in gear + handbrake, then release the tension on the boat winch, and allow the boat to slip off the trailer, controlling the winch.

Once it's floating, the person at the side can use the stern line to pull it clear, and you can follow up with the long bow line, and both tie off the boat where it will not block access for others.

Then simply pull the trailer out, and if available hose it down wit fresh water.

I would only put the engine down once you are totally happy it's deep enough, and would consider using paddles to move to a more suitable area for start up if required.

I would say the golden rules, are to look before you put the boat in, and do everything slowly, and don't allow others to rush you.

If you prepare well, before you launch, you can do it without even having to talk to each other much, it looks far better to those watching, and hopefully you can avoid any drama or embarrassment.

Hope it all goes well for you.
Old 01 September 2007, 18:20   #13

thanks for the replies guys, i eventually foudn the slip i was looking for (the first was Ģ30 and the second involved a loch). It all went pretty well despite having 4 people at hand rather than the 2 i will have in the future!

I used the launch wheels and almost forgot to recover them, next time however i may try and use the trailer and just tow it in and out! All in all a good first run but it was *very* choppy out and i think i must of jumped 4 feet in the air (felt like it!) so i didnt venture out to far. The engine also seemed a bit temperemental but ill add a post about that in a minute...

Looking forwards to the next run perhaps trommorrow!
Old 01 September 2007, 18:24   #14
Administrator

Glad it all went well.

Good to meet you by the way!

John