Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 April 2019, 22:49   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Sarasota, Florida
Length: no boat
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
First Inflatable Boat Setup

Hi everyone,

I'm a college student looking into getting into inflatable boats. I'm interested in something around 11' in length that can cruise at 25 mph or more. Currently I have my eyes set on a Saturn SD330 (https://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable-boat-sd330.asp) since it seems to be the best selling.

Saturn also makes the SD360 which is a lot cheaper than the SD330 but it offers the option of air floor or aluminium floor while the SD330 only offers a rigid air floor. Which one is the best? I assume the higher price of the SD330 means a more solid air floor but I'm not entirely sure.

I will be the only occupant on the boat and I don't fish so I'd have a cooler for drinks at most.

For outboards, I was going to go with a Yamaha but since they're quite heavy, I have decided to go with Tohatsu. The dilemma is that the Tohatsu 9.9-20 hp all weigh 95 lbs and I would like to get a 20 hp model for the SD330, but I'm afraid of overpowering it. On the other hand, if I'm gonna lift 95 lbs, I might as well get the most powerful model. The boat is rated for a maximum power of 15 hp (125 lbs).

Thanks for reading.

Adam
__________________

__________________
rcflyyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2019, 03:42   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,050
Hi Adam and welcome to the forum.

Re your speed aspirations and OB power... broadly speaking 25mph would likely be a maximum speed you'd see with a 20hp so cruising at that speed with any OB choice open to you is unlikely.

Around 18mph would be a realistic cruise with perhaps 25mph seen as a maximum.

If it's just you and a cooler box a 15hp will be quite lively... but your comment is sound that if the transom is rated for it get the larger hp for a given weight.

David
__________________

__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2019, 13:02   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Mercury Ocean Runner
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury F40 EFI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 259
Putting the insurance aspect of overpowering a boat aside, you can't cruise at 25mph because it will be extremely lively and too tiring with this size boat, one bad wave and you could be pointing in the wrong direction!
__________________
Limecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2019, 15:01   #4
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,792
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyyer1 View Post
I'm a college student looking into getting into inflatable boats.
So I studied the links you gave:

1. The 360 is a budget range boat, which explains the $$$ difference
2. The top speed given for 2 up with a 20hp is 20mph

4/10 - must study diligently.

__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2019, 15:22   #5
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,257
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyyer1 View Post
Hi everyone,



I'm a college student looking into getting into inflatable boats. I'm interested in something around 11' in length that can cruise at 25 mph or more. Currently I have my eyes set on a Saturn SD330 (https://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable-boat-sd330.asp) since it seems to be the best selling.



Saturn also makes the SD360 which is a lot cheaper than the SD330 but it offers the option of air floor or aluminium floor while the SD330 only offers a rigid air floor. Which one is the best? I assume the higher price of the SD330 means a more solid air floor but I'm not entirely sure.



I will be the only occupant on the boat and I don't fish so I'd have a cooler for drinks at most.



For outboards, I was going to go with a Yamaha but since they're quite heavy, I have decided to go with Tohatsu. The dilemma is that the Tohatsu 9.9-20 hp all weigh 95 lbs and I would like to get a 20 hp model for the SD330, but I'm afraid of overpowering it. On the other hand, if I'm gonna lift 95 lbs, I might as well get the most powerful model. The boat is rated for a maximum power of 15 hp (125 lbs).



Thanks for reading.



Adam


Hi Adam & welcome to Ribnet. An idea of your experience & intended cruising area might help get you the right advice. Nice place Sarasota, I have relatives nearby. Do you ever get to the races?
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2019, 09:20   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,491
hi adam and welcome.
some figures for you re my set up my running weight is

me 250 lbs
kit 40 lbs
engine 134 lbs
boat 220 lbs
plus fuel i carry 43 lts main tank and 25 ltrs spare
boat is mercury HD 365 with a suzuki 25 HP four stroke
with an 11 inch pitch prop on dead flat water i get 22 knots [25.3 mph] WOT if conditions are good it will run at that all day but i cruise at around 15 knots [17 mph] using the throttle to climb waves to maintain planing speed i have found that a 10 inch pitch prop works better in rough water but i loose 2 knots at WOT but for the trips i do 130 plus miles it works well

hope that helps a bit
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2019, 16:29   #7
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Sarasota, Florida
Length: no boat
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Wow lots of helpful information. Thank you for the welcome.

I grew up around my parents' cabin cruiser, driving it from time to time. I've also rented a few bow-riders and have an acceptable understanding of trimming though I'm sure I can still improve. I'd say my overall understanding of boating is average. I'm still trying to learn how to dock properly though and not rely on someone to pull me in.

I plan to just run around in Sarasota bay and the intracoastal way, maybe going into the Gulf of Mexico if conditions are right (not far out). I also want to be able to troll and explore some of the creeks around here which are too small for the larger boat. I am mostly interested in the inflatable concept for ease of transportation and the ability to go places without having to worry much about bars of which we have plenty around here.

I sent an email to the website and got a response saying the SD330 and the SD360 are mostly the same with the SD360 having a higher hp capacity and being longer. He recommended the SD360 with the rigid floor. Apparently the reason the SD330 is more expensive is because of the kevlar reinforcement beneath the tubes which I can live without.

And yes I've seen the races Dave! Very cool to see that stuff so close to home. Do you boat in Sarasota bay when you're in town?
__________________
rcflyyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2019, 16:57   #8
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,792
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyyer1 View Post
I sent an email to the website and got a response saying the SD330 and the SD360 are mostly the same with the SD360 having a higher hp capacity and being longer. He recommended the SD360 with the rigid floor. Apparently the reason the SD330 is more expensive is because of the kevlar reinforcement beneath the tubes which I can live without.
Good info - good pick - stick a 20hp on it.

Stick around, you'll fit in around here...

__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2019, 05:32   #9
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,257
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyyer1 View Post
Wow lots of helpful information. Thank you for the welcome.

I grew up around my parents' cabin cruiser, driving it from time to time. I've also rented a few bow-riders and have an acceptable understanding of trimming though I'm sure I can still improve. I'd say my overall understanding of boating is average. I'm still trying to learn how to dock properly though and not rely on someone to pull me in.

I plan to just run around in Sarasota bay and the intracoastal way, maybe going into the Gulf of Mexico if conditions are right (not far out). I also want to be able to troll and explore some of the creeks around here which are too small for the larger boat. I am mostly interested in the inflatable concept for ease of transportation and the ability to go places without having to worry much about bars of which we have plenty around here.

I sent an email to the website and got a response saying the SD330 and the SD360 are mostly the same with the SD360 having a higher hp capacity and being longer. He recommended the SD360 with the rigid floor. Apparently the reason the SD330 is more expensive is because of the kevlar reinforcement beneath the tubes which I can live without.

And yes I've seen the races Dave! Very cool to see that stuff so close to home. Do you boat in Sarasota bay when you're in town?


Iíve been to the races a couple of times, but itís over 20 years since I was out there.
Trolling around the creeks sounds fun, I bet itís similar to the east coast of England
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2019, 12:46   #10
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Mystic
Make: Saturn
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 5
Hi Adam,
I have the Saturn XD430, https://www.saturnboats.com/inflatab...ghytender.html
I run it with a 15HP Nissan (just a rebadged Tohatsu). When the water is glass flat I can get just over 20MPH with two people and all gear on board, about 550lbs (excluding boat and motor). Just some information for comparison.
__________________
smallboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 03:48   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: barnstaple
Boat name: sportboat s250
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp outboard
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Hi Adam
I currently run an old Avon s250 sport boat with a 15hp Johnson, with just me, the engine and fuel on a glassy day the best I’ve managed is 23.5mph, but this was on a speedo app so might not be perfectly accurate, either way it’s plenty quick enough. I was tempted with a 25 as that’s what the boat is rated to but considering the extra fuel it would use for very little extra speed I just wasn’t convinced it was worth it.... just something to think about!
__________________
minisponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:17   #12
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Brooklyn NY
Boat name: Lil Red Corvette
Make: Saturn 365
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outbd Zuki 20EFI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 66
RC and inflatable boating??!!?? Aces in my book! Lol. I have a Saturn 365 with a Suzuki 4 stroke 20hp. Just manageable for me at age 53 with joint issues. I'm mostly fishing solo so I traded in the stock prop for a Solas 12p. Still a decent holeshot, tho not quite the point and shoot pseudo torque monster of stock form. Difference is I've clocked 26.3 with the motor raised a hair on the transom. Can do 25 all day long with motor fully seated. Another difference though is with motor trimmed up it is extremely squirrelly. Only 1mph difference in speed but night and day in handling. Very unlikely to get anything that cruises at 25, using 20hp or less, unless it is hard bottomed.... but.... under ideal conditions you can run wot and do 25 that way. I cruise around 19/20. Which is still very nice all things considered. Can run, fish and troll all day on $15 of gas or less!
__________________

__________________
Sinistre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×