Old 20 March 2011, 20:36   #1

Town: Bedford
Make: Honwave 2.7 VIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard 4hp
First day out :)

Well, after many years of wanting a sib for a bit of messing around on the river, I finally had my first outing yesterday To say I enjoyed it was an understatement!

I've got a Honwave 2.7 Air Keel, with a nice little Mariner 4 horse two stroke set up, and have slowly been collecting all the little bits required to have a good fun, safe day out over the last few months (life jackets etc).

The local river is a few minutes walk down the end of my road (the Ouse in Bedford), with a nice little spot I had already eyed up to launch to set off from. Once I saw the weather report for the weekend was looking good, I sorted my insurance, booked a day license and got the fuel tank brimmed, then gave my folks a heads up I would be taking my maiden voyage, so they could come and watch me fall in!!!

Thankfully all went well, to the point that I was soon giving all and sundry rides up and down the river, around the local marina enjoying the sunshine and warmth of the day. I only passed one other boat out, and got a nice friendly wave from the passing crew. I must say I enjoyed seeing parts of the town from different views not usual seen whilst on foot, and hopefully I'll be making a trip up to my sisters riverside house around 10 miles away sometime during the summer (and yes I have got an external tank).

So, now I've broken my duck, I hope to be spending plenty more days out on the local waterways, with maybe a trip to the coast for some seaside fun if we can pick a calm day.

I even got a full thumbs up from the wife as she enjoyed it as much as me and is now posting up pictures of our day on Facebook, so that can't be bad.


Old 20 March 2011, 20:47   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepaway View Post
I even got a full thumbs up from the wife as she enjoyed it as much as me and is now posting up pictures of our day on Facebook, so that can't be bad
Well done you. I'm waiting for warmer weather to introduce Mrs willk to my new QS270 airdeck. Not sure how that plan will go......
Old 20 March 2011, 20:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Well done you. I'm waiting for warmer weather to introduce Mrs willk to my new QS270 airdeck. Not sure how that plan will go......
Ha ha! I started on at my wife years ago about wanting one to be fair, so the seed had already been sown It was just a matter of timing and the right weather, then she fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Remember, just keep reminding her of the benefits.....
Old 20 March 2011, 22:18   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
just keep reminding her of the benefits.....
lol - remind me first!
Old 21 March 2011, 22:12   #5

Town: Inkberrow
Make: Quicksilver 340 AD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 1992 Evinrude 20HP
Well done stepaway!

I passed my PB2 today in readiness for getting my QS 3.4 on the water next month... bought a second hand engine which will need collecting this weekend...servicing the week after...then I'm shipping it out to Puerto Pollensa...

Can't wait
Old 21 March 2011, 22:59   #6

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Well, after many years of wanting a sib for a bit of messing around on the river, I finally had my first outing yesterday To say I enjoyed it was an understatement!

I've got a Honwave 2.7 Air Keel, with a nice little Mariner 4 horse two stroke set up, and have slowly been collecting all the little bits required to have a good fun, safe day out over the last few months (life jackets etc).

The local river is a few minutes walk down the end of my road (the Ouse in Bedford), with a nice little spot I had already eyed up to launch to set off from. Once I saw the weather report for the weekend was looking good, I sorted my insurance, booked a day license and got the fuel tank brimmed, then gave my folks a heads up I would be taking my maiden voyage, so they could come and watch me fall in!!!

Thankfully all went well, to the point that I was soon giving all and sundry rides up and down the river, around the local marina enjoying the sunshine and warmth of the day. I only passed one other boat out, and got a nice friendly wave from the passing crew. I must say I enjoyed seeing parts of the town from different views not usual seen whilst on foot, and hopefully I'll be making a trip up to my sisters riverside house around 10 miles away sometime during the summer (and yes I have got an external tank).

So, now I've broken my duck, I hope to be spending plenty more days out on the local waterways, with maybe a trip to the coast for some seaside fun if we can pick a calm day.

I even got a full thumbs up from the wife as she enjoyed it as much as me and is now posting up pictures of our day on Facebook, so that can't be bad.


Nice one, fantastic feeling when you first get out,come to think of it fantastic everytime out.
Old 22 March 2011, 08:06   #7

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
Nice one, fantastic feeling when you first get out,come to think of it fantastic everytime out.
Hit the nail on the head there!
Old 22 March 2011, 10:10   #8

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Congratulations Stepaway, these little SIBs are a lot of fun. My first outing was in the River Seven, my second was in the Moray Firth - frightening at first but great fun. Take care, be safe and enjoy yourself.

Keith Hart
Old 22 March 2011, 14:05   #9

Cheers guys 

I'm certain that I'll enjoy everytime out, it's just the first for me was one of much anticipation that I'd waiting for for years and years!

I'm just a big kid at heart.

Oh, and I'm just arranging this weekends outing
Old 22 March 2011, 15:19   #10

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
Quote:
it's just the first for me was one of much anticipation that I'd waiting for for years and years!
I know that feeling, been reading Ribnet for a couple of years - finally got a boat over a month ago and STILL not had a day out on it yet!!! That day is slowly approaching though!
Old 22 March 2011, 22:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddy View Post
I know that feeling, been reading Ribnet for a couple of years - finally got a boat over a month ago and STILL not had a day out on it yet!!! That day is slowly approaching though!
Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll love it as much as I did then