Old 03 January 2009, 22:21   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Faulty Drain Valve....I Think?

Hi,

I hope this question isn't too stupid but am i correct that the water drain valve in my Honwave 4m is one way and therefore i do not close it (fit cover) when i am out on the water?

I tried this but it seemed to let in more water and slightly puzzles me why have a one way valve in the first place.

Maybe it's faulty or me being totally dumb.

As always your advice really appreciated.
Old 03 January 2009, 23:37   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Does the Honwave use a one way valve system similar to that of the zodiac SIBs, where a rubber flap for a diaphragm with a central barbed nub that goes through a plastic basket type housing?

If that is the case check for mud or seaweed holding the rubber flap open. Over time those rubber flaps do lose there elasticity and become leaky - they are inexpensive and easy to replace.
Old 04 January 2009, 01:56   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
My old Achilles had a valve as PT described. It was never one way (though a fair argument could be made for it being one way in the wrong direction.)
ended up keeping it plugged unless I had a need to drain the hull of water, when I would pull the plug and run the boat at a good clip for a while.

The big problem with them is that an inspection and clearing only works until it starts draining, then the crap under the floor blocks it open again (at least it did for me. Should mention that I parked the boat under a large stand of pine and fir trees that were fairly prolific in the dead needle generation department.)

jky
Old 05 January 2009, 15:37   #4

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Understanding Plugs & Diaphragm Behaviours

This is not a stupid issue, as many ribbers, including myself, have gone, or are going through this frustrating & unconfortable water issue. In 99.99% of water flowing in cases, is not a matter of changing faulty plugs by a new one, is a matter of getting the correct & quality diaphragm to work on that faulty plug. Here are some examples of plugs & diaphragm behaviours for better tech understanding.

Pic-o1- Comparisson between Asian and Zodiac diaphragms
Pic-02 -Asian diaphragm central pin fit
Pic-03- Zodiac diaphragm central pin fit
Pic-04 -Transom outside plugs & diaphragm comparisson sizes

Have changed all Sea Rider sib water plugs for screw type rib water plugs + zodiac diaphragms, are much better and seals perfect on transom, Final Solution: Go to a Zodiac distributor and buy spare sib diaphragms, change your current sib asian diaph for zodiac ones, will perform excellent. I'm not recommending any particular brand, if in UK can find Avon type that fits asian plugs and seals well, then be my guest. (Consume local products)

If your diaphragm is not sealing correctly and need interior sib water evacuation, open stopper,accelerate engine at a non planing speed to keep sib at 45º angle to evacuate all water, once completely evacuated procede to put stopper back. With a good sealing diaphragm you can have plug stopper off/out at all times.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	856
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	39717   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	39718   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	39719   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	39720  
Old 05 January 2009, 16:05   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Well, for what it's worth, my buddies Pro16 (I think it is) has a side-mounted diaphragm (same sort of valve, but not center-pinned. Looking into the valve, it appears to be like a flapper valve.) This thing has never sealed, either.

jky
Old 06 January 2009, 20:38   #6

Thanks for all the advice,

I had a look at the valve and just as locozodiac said, the valve is quite a poor fit. I will try and get hold of a Zodiac one and give that a try.

Thanks again.

Gibbo
Old 06 January 2009, 21:28   #7

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
I completely dremel out my drain valves. They seem to be far more trouble than they are worth, especially when bits of crabs, fishing line, swivels, seaweed etc. end up below the deck and completely block them up.
Old 07 January 2009, 13:35   #8

New Water Plug

There is a new drain water plug (Bastille Type) on the market, has anybody seen or has one installed on their sib ? Is it a reliable or crappy one ? any comments are welcome. Was offered this new model, but rather stick with proven reliable Rib plugs + Zodiac diaphragms.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Images

Old 07 January 2009, 16:52   #9

Town: Portsmouth, UK
Boat name: Jelly Fish
Make: Quicksilver 3.8XSHD
Engine: Mariner 25MEFI
MMSI: 235905473
I have a bastille type one on the back of my Quicksilver, so far no problems and seemsto do what it is supposed to.
Old 07 January 2009, 22:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffs View Post
I have a bastille type one on the back of my Quicksilver, so far no problems and seemsto do what it is supposed to.
Nice to hear about that, thanks.

Happy Sibbing
Old 08 January 2009, 18:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
This is not a stupid issue, as many ribbers, including myself, have gone, or are going through this frustrating & unconfortable water issue. In 99.99% of water flowing in cases, is not a matter of changing faulty plugs by a new one, is a matter of getting the correct & quality diaphragm to work on that faulty plug. Here are some examples of plugs & diaphragm behaviours for better tech understanding.

Pic-o1- Comparisson between Asian and Zodiac diaphragms
Pic-02 -Asian diaphragm central pin fit
Pic-03- Zodiac diaphragm central pin fit
Pic-04 -Transom outside plugs & diaphragm comparisson sizes

Have changed all Sea Rider sib water plugs for screw type rib water plugs + zodiac diaphragms, are much better and seals perfect on transom, Final Solution: Go to a Zodiac distributor and buy spare sib diaphragms, change your current sib asian diaph for zodiac ones, will perform excellent. I'm not recommending any particular brand, if in UK can find Avon type that fits asian plugs and seals well, then be my guest. (Consume local products)

If your diaphragm is not sealing correctly and need interior sib water evacuation, open stopper,accelerate engine at a non planing speed to keep sib at 45º angle to evacuate all water, once completely evacuated procede to put stopper back. With a good sealing diaphragm you can have plug stopper off/out at all times.

Happy Sibbing
Bought a Zodiac diaphragm and tried it out today, still letting in water. Looking at the Zodiac diaphragm the centre pin is narrower and therefore a looser fit than the original. Anyway had a great day out winter sibbing so really not too fussed.

Thanks.

Gibbo
Old 08 January 2009, 19:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Bought a Zodiac diaphragm and tried it out today, still letting in water. Looking at the Zodiac diaphragm the centre pin is narrower and therefore a looser fit than the original. Anyway had a great day out winter sibbing so really not too fussed.

Thanks.

Gibbo
You can wrap teflon white tape on central pin to fill excesive play and auto center better diaphragm position agains plug base. Cut to desire height. Put a ball of paper tight against diaphragm, get yourself Abro gasket maker or a good silicone, remove lid, put tube nozzle in middle of central diaph pin, squeeze untill the inner central pin is completely coverd by gasket maker, this should make the diaphragm to have a tighter fit against interior diaphragm base and seal better.

If possible remove complete plug from sib, make this process outside so to center better the diaphragm before sealing other side. Let dry al least 24 hours defore sibbing again. Good luck !!Something positive should result. A pitty that Zodiac diaphragms arte pin thinner than current plug in use.

Happy Sibbing
Old 08 January 2009, 19:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post

If possible remove complete plug from sib, make this process outside so to center better the diaphragm before sealing other side. Let dry al least 24 hours defore sibbing again.

Happy Sibbing
Ok will try that. I take it to remove the plug, it just unscrews?

Thanks

Gibbo
Old 10 January 2009, 03:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Ok will try that. I take it to remove the plug, it just unscrews?

Thanks

Gibbo
If it has side screws just unscrew outter complete valve, if doesn't have screws, is a 2 piece screw type valve, will need to remove the transom inner part to get plug out, on pic 4 will see most comon water plugs in use. One of them must match yours.

Happy Sibbing
Old 10 January 2009, 07:12   #15

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Loco
Have bastille type on my Lodestar 2.6

It started leaking this year but I discovered that it was down to poor fitting and not a problem with the valve itself. Removed it, reassembled it properly and now good as new.