Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I notice at the bottom of that link flares are discussed... ahh SIBs and flares...
yep forgot to mention that i went odeo flare & strobe on the lifejacket
Old 08 August 2019, 23:30   #62
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
However you portray my post, please be assured my underlying sentiment wasn’t complementary

Sorry, I’ve been travelling and my fellow moderators obviously gave up reading this (not very original) discussion. Let’s be clear, if people can’t play nice and behave like adults we will remove their ability to post. That warning is not just intended for Lee; if anyone is unsure of what is acceptable behaviour please remind yourself of the community guidelines.
Old 08 August 2019, 23:52   #63
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Inevitable thread drift I think but it did seem to drift in the direction of :- you shouldn't feel comfortable without a ship full of safety gear.
When clearly some of us have been around when it wasnt available & therefore see no reason to be uncomfortable without it in the right circumstances. We dont all need a vhf as our cuddle blanky

There is a principle known as Risk Compensation (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation) which probably links exactly the point you are making back to the OPs question. Do you feel vulnerable to a breakdown when further from port? A large part of the answer seems to be - people do not because they carry so many get-me-help gadgets. None of which make it less likely to get in trouble in the first place!
Old 09 August 2019, 14:25   #64

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Sorry, I’ve been travelling and my fellow moderators obviously gave up reading this (not very original) discussion. Let’s be clear, if people can’t play nice and behave like adults we will remove their ability to post. That warning is not just intended for Lee; if anyone is unsure of what is acceptable behaviour please remind yourself of the community guidelines.
I don’t disagree, however my previous posts on this thread gives a background to my comments. It’s also a shame certain ‘contributors’ are always looking to pick holes in a select few posters input rather than having anything useful to say, maybe a link to the community guidelines could be PM’d to them
Old 09 August 2019, 15:47   #65

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
There is a principle known as Risk Compensation (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation) which probably links exactly the point you are making back to the OPs question. Do you feel vulnerable to a breakdown when further from port? A large part of the answer seems to be - people do not because they carry so many get-me-help gadgets. None of which make it less likely to get in trouble in the first place!
Which of course can lead to a problem in itself as they are more likely to take chances because of the warm fuzzy feeling of comfort from their accessories. None of which will prevent an incident nor do they guarantee a good outcome in the event of such an incident
Old 09 August 2019, 15:57   #66
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
I don’t disagree, however my previous posts on this thread gives a background to my comments. It’s also a shame certain ‘contributors’ are always looking to pick holes in a select few posters input rather than having anything useful to say, maybe a link to the community guidelines could be PM’d to them
I'll put them here to save mailing you all! http://www.rib.net/forum/misc.php?do...ork&page=rules

Here's some of the most pertinent bits for those too lazy to check:

Post selectively
Make sure that what you post is correct
Whatever happens, please remain calm and polite at all times.
Use PMs for discussions that will only be of interest to the two people taking part.
Be courteous, politely and rationally.
If you have to resort to abuse then you have clearly lost the argument.
Personal attacks and abuse will not be tolerated
No whining
Old 09 August 2019, 23:21   #67

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I don't see what the fuss is about, we are after all talking about traveling offshore on what's basically a life raft. Carrying the basics such as water and a way of communicating in any emergency isn't about warm fuzzy feelings, just common sense. Sailors travel around the globe with these same principles. Doing long runs in small ribs without any idea on navigation, basic mechanical skills and survival at see is something I believe few wouldnt consider. Here in Australia we all have to undergo basic training to gain a boat licence and carry emergency safety gear onboard boats. Why this isn't a worldwide regulation and driving licences are is pretty silly in my opinion. Survival at sea https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/ad...vival-stories/
Old 10 August 2019, 06:59   #68

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
RYA’s take on licensing
https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...licensing.aspx and I’m in agreement as I wonder if in some cases obtaining a license can give a boater a false sense of security. Definitely advocate knowledge but licensing the freedom of the sea, no thank you.
Old 10 August 2019, 09:55   #69

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I don't see what the fuss is about, we are after all talking about traveling offshore on what's basically a life raft. Carrying the basics such as water and a way of communicating in any emergency isn't about warm fuzzy feelings, just common sense. Sailors travel around the globe with these same principles. Doing long runs in small ribs without any idea on navigation, basic mechanical skills and survival at see is something I believe few wouldnt consider. Here in Australia we all have to undergo basic training to gain a boat licence and carry emergency safety gear onboard boats. Why this isn't a worldwide regulation and driving licences are is pretty silly in my opinion. Survival at sea https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/ad...vival-stories/
Couldn't agree more!
Old 02 September 2019, 00:43   #70

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Happy Days
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mariner 4St/4HP
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeP
Hi guys,

This is an interesting thread for me as we've just undertaken our first sea venture - prior to that, we've been all about rivers and canals, so this was a big step. Even though our outboard has been treated well and serviced regularly, and even though we were no more than half a mile offshore at any time, and even though we had four bars of mobile signal (no VHF yet).... I was incredibly nervous and cautious. This was out of Ladram Bay in Devon which is probably as much of a sheltered location as you can find and there were other boats around as well, so not as if we were all by ourselves.

So what did I learn today ? That actually - as other people have said - you have to have faith in a properly maintained engine. And that - as other people have said - communication options are key and I'm on the VHF route so that I've got more options with that.

But the other thing I learned is that being out there on the big blue, sun shining, with the wind slapping the swell around - is the closest to heaven that I am certainly going to get. The moment when you take the kill cord out and the engine dies - a moment of nervousness for a newbie - will it start up again, have I just made us an item in the 6pm local news bulletin ? - that is also the moment when you can just look and listen and appreciate the wonderful feeling of being on the sea.

As an added bonus, on this trip we completely bannaned the beach landing so the poor missus got completely soaked. Whilst hilarious from the cockpit position, I think my credit score has decreased quite considerably.
Old 02 September 2019, 07:52   #71

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
... Ladram Bay in Devon...
Gorgeous part of the world
Old 02 September 2019, 08:41   #72

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>being out there on the big blue, sun shining, with the wind slapping the swell around - is the closest to heaven...

I've been lucky starting out on tidal waters at 4yrs old with parents and open sea when a couple of years older then getting to sea in varying craft most years since then... and now sibbing whenever family time allows.

We do use the river now and again but there is noting like the feeling of movement and open space on the sea.

Well done on dipping a toe into that experience... and dipping the Mrs too... do tell. I've learnt never again to say to Mrs F "you can jump out now" thinking we were in 12 inches of water at a shelving beach when it was actually 4 feet.
Old 02 September 2019, 09:53   #73

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
As a newbie to SIB's, which I am as well, I think all your current excursions will have an element of nervousness of dealing with the unknown. Will the boat stay watertight / airtight? Will the engine keep going?

Having a plan of what to do in a situation is probably key - you did as you checked you had a phone signal. As you gain more experience, you'll modify your plan to suit lessons identified from previous trips. The 'What kit do you carry on your SIB?' thread is quite useful but I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

Potter around, push your boundaries a bit and then modify what you carry / do to suit.

Above all - enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Here is one such incident as proof of my claim .. my bro knows the kayakers so I heard their story. Both experienced kayakers had handheld VHF and had sat the course. Neither could raise anyone ..boat or coastguard with their handhelds. The PLB saved their day. Out of interest it was 40 minutes since setting off the PLB until the cavalry arrived..
On the last episode of Saving Lives at Sea, there were a couple of kayakers, one of whom got into trouble and couldn't raise anyone on their handheld VHF. One of them paddled ashore to raise the alarm. It could have been user error or kit failure that caused the issue or the conditions were such that voice comms were just impossible.

I bought a PLB and it does provide a bit of reassurance that you will almost certainly be able to raise help should the worst happen and would probably have helped in the situation above.
Old 02 September 2019, 10:42   #74

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Engine: Etec 40
Hi guys. As I originally started this thread, sorry. Lol.
And as previously said my main boating is going to be on the firth of forth, it can get interesting out they're. Choppy and quite a swell. But have had no problems, and I now know I have a phone signal in every part I've visited so far. Therefore at the moment I'm using the RYA TRX app. On the phone. Worth a look if you have not got VHF and are sure you have phone signal like myself.
But upon recent visit to the water I had a nice little conversation with the coastguard about the VHF radio thing. His advice was certainly get 1. But if yr only use of it was to be calling for help, he personally would not get a licence. His words were we are gonna come out and save you. And also they'd enjoy doing so, as they enjoy a wee blast on the water too. With a smile on his face.
He also said they wouldn't even ask for proof of a licence but give you a right telling off if you didn't at least have the basic safety equipment. As in life jackets and some sort of flare/strong light and an anchor to at least hold yr position.
Now in no way am I advising anyone not to go get the licence. Just passing along his words. And I'm still learning too. Maybe that just applies to the forth or just the friendly coastguard that service the forth, but quite reassuring. He also said any info I needed within the forth pop in for a chat.
Also had a word with him about the app and he said for my use its perfect. Think I'll take his word on that, but seeing as I love a gadget or 10 , I will get a radio, with licensing at a later date.
But quite reassuring words from him none the less.
Old 02 September 2019, 11:18   #75

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scomich View Post
Hi guys. As I originally started this thread, sorry. Lol.
And as previously said my main boating is going to be on the firth of forth, it can get interesting out they're. Choppy and quite a swell. But have had no problems, and I now know I have a phone signal in every part I've visited so far. Therefore at the moment I'm using the RYA TRX app. On the phone. Worth a look if you have not got VHF and are sure you have phone signal like myself.
But upon recent visit to the water I had a nice little conversation with the coastguard about the VHF radio thing. His advice was certainly get 1. But if yr only use of it was to be calling for help, he personally would not get a licence. His words were we are gonna come out and save you. And also they'd enjoy doing so, as they enjoy a wee blast on the water too. With a smile on his face.
He also said they wouldn't even ask for proof of a licence but give you a right telling off if you didn't at least have the basic safety equipment. As in life jackets and some sort of flare/strong light and an anchor to at least hold yr position.
Now in no way am I advising anyone not to go get the licence. Just passing along his words. And I'm still learning too. Maybe that just applies to the forth or just the friendly coastguard that service the forth, but quite reassuring. He also said any info I needed within the forth pop in for a chat.
Also had a word with him about the app and he said for my use its perfect. Think I'll take his word on that, but seeing as I love a gadget or 10 , I will get a radio, with licensing at a later date.
But quite reassuring words from him none the less.
Nice to see you picked out the relevant bits and did your homework on what you require for YOUR style & area of boating.
Many people get fixated on the "must have" mentality of safety gear & before you know it you need a bigger boat
Glad your enjoying what you have!