Old 07 April 2018, 23:29   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Length: 3m +
F-Rib 360

Thought I'd post a review about my 2014 F-Rib 360 to share my experience so far.

I used my F-Rib for the first time today and I have to say I'm mainly impressed with the boats performance. Like most things though there's pro's and con's.

First of all the con's- I bought the boat with the cheaper plastic transom wheels already fitted, although they're far easier to lower and raise than the wheels fitted to my Honwave T32. I find there's not sufficient clearance to mount my engine to the transom. I have to have my 20hp Tohatsu engine in the fully tilted position to push or pull the boat as well as mounting the engine for fear of grounding on the floor which makes the hole process a little difficult. The wheels in the up position fouls the lever to tilt the O/B so I have to plan well in advance when transiting/entering shallow water and lower the starboard wheel so I can tilt the O/B.

The rails the seats slide onto don't grip the seats sufficiently which causes both seats to slide back in a moderate swell or moving at speed. I have a few ideas on how to stop this but want to try them out before I post anything further on this subject.

Lastly, I miss having any retaining rings inside the boat. There's none fitted at the front of the boat or on the transom which would be handy for securing the engine to via a lanyard. For the cost of this craft I'd expect at least a tie down strap for a fuel tank?

Pro's-The boat is fairly easy to set up and I've found if you unfold the boat on a grass verge the risk of damage to the underside of the boat is reduced and it's easier to piece together. The boat is far more stable than my Honwave T32 when pushing or pulling due to no flex in the wheels even with the engine in the fully tilted position.

On the water-the take off with two adults and two children was outstanding, even at 40% throttle. Once on the plane the boat just stayed there without the need for more power over waves etc. Definitely a more relaxed ride than my T32. We did open the boat up and found the boat was lightning fast if not scary, even loaded up.

The tubes of the boat seem a lot smaller than the Honwave and you do feel more open to the elements. All of us got pretty wet at times but conditions varied from flat calm to over a meter swell which wasn't pleasant. Having said that the boat performed and keeping a steady heading was far easier than on the T32 which I used a lot last year.

The quality of the seats is far superior and took the weight of two adults crashing over the waves without any problems. At no point did I feel the seats were going to break unlike previous Sib's I've had in the past.

In summary- I'm happy with the boat and would recommend anyone to try one out. The savings on mooring fees etc is well worth the hassle of getting the boat on the water. It handles like a rib and performance wise with a 20hp Tohatsu fi was breathtaking.

Please note: I'm only using the Honwave as a comparison, I found the T32 a superb capable craft. The F-Rib is just in a different league.
Old 08 April 2018, 14:44   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Really useful review, thanks for posting. Your findings are along the lines with my expectations as someone who's not yet used a Frib.

I remember from the time we had a smallish hard hull with an efficient profile when conditions allow what fun it is to have excellent performance from any given OB size.

Almost as important... how is the Tohatsu... I'm assuming it's one of the new Efi models?
Old 08 April 2018, 21:31   #3

Hi Fenlander, thanks for the comments.

Yes, I bought a 2018 std shaft 20hp Tohatsu at Southampton boat show last year and have had to wait till now to use it. I went for the manual package to keep things as light as possible and I haven't been disappointed.

The engine is light for a 20hp and provides buckets of power. I may be putting my neck on the line but I'd have to say performance wise it isn't far off Tohatsu's own 18hp 2 stroke.

Fuel economy isn't high on my list but so far it appears very fuel efficient, more about that later when I've had chance to compile some figures.

Engine running-at first I was unsure if the engine had cut out every time I went into neutral die to the OB being very quiet and smoke free. Coming from a long line of 2 strokes it was nice not being smoked out at a sedate pace although the strockers will always have a place in my heart. The engine does emit a lovely deep sound when accelerating but it's definitely not an intrusive OB while on the move.

The main finish of the engine itself is very good and well matched to that of Honda's reputation for build quality. In my opinion there are a few areas which could be improved.

For one the FWD/NEU/REV lever seems flimsy and I'm not to sure how it will stand the test of time being knocked etc when man handled in and out of the car etc with every outing. Putting the engine into gear though is smooth and trouble free with no obvious mechanical noise. Secondly the lever to trim the engine is only made out of thin metal and again seems pretty flimsy. Apart from that I would recommend the engine wholeheartedly which should keep thrill seekers happy, as well as hobbiests such as fishermen which require a slower pace.
Old 09 April 2018, 08:11   #4

Thanks, very interesting report on the motor.

Re the "flimsy" parts I must say I thought that when looking at my Suzuki 20 in the showroom for the first time. Compared to a 15yr old Mariner/Yamaha 2-stroke many external parts seemed a bit lightweight... but of course they've had to shave everything where possible to get these low weights of the new generation 4-strokes.

Re the comparison with a Tohatsu 18hp 2-stroke... One of the first things I noticed with mine... and Suzuki mention this in their description of the motor... is how they have mapped the fuel delivery so that the mid range grunt was very 2-stroke like rather than the slightly leisurely power delivery of an earlier carb 4-stroke. It then leans out once cruising for excellent economy.

I had that initial thing too of fearing it had cut out when returned to idle as it was so quiet but it never had.
Old 11 April 2018, 19:23   #5

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Hey James. This is interesting, so thanks. Might be the next step up from my 3.6m SIB. I see they do a 4.6m version.

Any pics of yours you could share?
Old 11 April 2018, 20:17   #6

Hi Nick,

I will take a few pictures next time I'm out and post them. I was too busy enjoying myself last time out��.

The F-Rib 360 is the biggest boat I could manage by myself but if you have someone to help you and the budget the 430 looks even better equipped to deal with the sea' s around our coastline.

I have a large estate car and with the boat, engine and everything else I find there's no room left for anything else. That's with a 360 so it's worth taking that into consideration when choosing a boat/model.

Im know expert but any questions just ask Nick.
Old 11 April 2018, 20:47   #7

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Cheers James. Mine's on a trailer now so anything I got could go on a trailer too.

I'm most attracted by the way the hard hull deals with chop to be honest. At the moment it's really not worth trying to take the SIB out in anything more than about 18 in high waves. And when you live on the west coast of Scotland there are a lot of days like that!
Old 11 April 2018, 21:26   #8

If it's on the trailer I'd definitely consider the 430. Bigger tubes and a lot more capable in the chop, at least that's what I've read by owners reviews etc.

My biggest problem was storage at home and being able to manage the FRib single handed, hence the 360.

Otherwise I would have saved for the bigger boat.
Old 12 April 2018, 14:36   #9

Nick TBH the Fribs don't perform any better than a comparable sized Sib in a chop. You would be better looking at a Rib with a deep v hull to perform in these conditions.
A larger sib or frib like a 4.3 metre will perform in a chop better than a 3.5 metre variant as the larger will bridge the gaps between waves better thus making for a more comfortable ride.
Your Excel 365 will easily match if not surpass the performance of a Frib 360 in choppy waters .
The problem with the Frib is it has very flat bottom. They slam pretty bad in a chop. I've been out in my Honwave t3.5ae and with my Honwave t3.8 alongside various Fribs over the years. The Honwaves actually ride more comfortably in a rough short sharp chop than the Frib does. There is no give in the flattish Frib hull when it slams down unlike the soft bottom Sibs. Where the Frib does excel over s Sib is in terms of speed. A 20hp on a Frib 360 will leave an Excel 365 with a 20hp for dead.[emoji1]
Old 12 April 2018, 16:20   #10

>>>At the moment it's really not worth trying to take the SIB out in anything more than about 18 in high waves.

Well I've been sitting on my hands for a day but have to mention an Aerotec Nick.

With all our previous SIBs we had the situation you mention... we could do the 80+ mile trip to the coast and an hours setting up only to find once out of the estuary the chop was shaking our fillings out to the point we'd have to drop to displacement speed... bearing in mind we're after family outings not an SAS raiding party experience.

Within minutes of taking our first Aerotec out (Scottish West coast by chance) self and Mrs F just said wow this is so much better.

You only have to look at the hull profile to see why (pic credit Boatnomad who posted here a few years ago).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerotec hull shape.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	124207  
Old 13 April 2018, 09:42   #11

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi guys..

James..the F- Rib sliding seat are a pain lol. I sorted mine though. They always tend to slide back..not forward..so I drilled a hole around 1" deep into the seat at the ends.. expoxy glued a stout piece of cord into the drilled holes. Now I just tie it off to the side rope holder and its never moved since ..that was 2 years ago and its lasting well. Hope that description makes sense..I will post a photo if it doesn't

Nick.. My thoughts are the same as Kaman's.. in a chop the F-Ribs vibrate the fillings out your teeth if going at speed. A soft bottom boat of similar size is actually a smoother ride.

However I would not swap my 2.75 F Rib for any other boat of that size. I am just back from going round the coast from Ardnamurchan to Loch Nevis which has some serious exposed seas as well as sheltered sea lochs. The journey was 120 miles long and I explored almost every inch of the way.

I took a leisurely 5 days doing it..from flat calm conditions to force 4 breaking waves. Im as happy as a sandboy going at displacement speeds in 3-6 foot waves. I enjoy taking my time and savouring the experience. The scenery is worth taking time to see too.

All powered by a 6HP outboard which used 20litres of fuel. I would not be so happy doing it in a standard 2.75m SIB.

Use you SIB Nick and enjoy it.. all boats have some kind of weakness ..its all a compromise
Old 13 April 2018, 10:54   #12

Thanks for the info Gurnard,

I'll look at doing just that as the seats moving all the time is going to get quite frustrating.

I'd love to do a trip like that. Hopping to go round the Isle of White later on in the year. Not a patch on what you've done but a bit of an adventure.

I also agree that there's pro's and con's with everything. In the meter swell I experienced the other day, I just took it easy making my way back to the slip way. The Frib was a little slammy but I expected that. The waves were coming at us head on with a head wind off the port beam. If I'd been in the Honwave the ride would have been a little softer and dryer but to keep the boat on a steady heading would have been far more difficult.

The set up I have is superb for my need's and after all it's only a 3.6 meter boat.
Old 13 April 2018, 10:58   #13

Fenlander, the hull on the Aerotech is what I wish was on the F-rib but I can't see how the Frib would fold up with such a protruding hull?

An F'rib with a deeper hull would definitely get my attention as it's one of the few ways it could be improved.
Old 13 April 2018, 12:17   #14

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi again James ..here are a couple of photos I forgot I had.

They show my solution to the issues you mention. You can see the cords attached to the seat edge in this photo. I have small carabineer clips which secure the cords to the safety rope fixture.

Also worth noting in the duck board I made for the floor. I have various U bolt screwed to the wooden duct board which makes it easy to secure the fuel tank and the storage box. Because I sit with my feet on the duct board and its a snug fit to the boat..nothing moves ..even in a major chop.

The front cover makes it a dry boat and protects my video cameras etc from water coming over the bow. I still bring water into the boat clambering in and out..but the duck boards keep it in “the bilge” so nothing annoying slopping around my feet. I hate conventional air floors SIBs as they generally don’t have a bilge area and water slopping at my feet bugs me ..but that's just me lol

Perhaps give you a few ideas for your boat.I love the F Ribs and would not go back to small SIBs .. however I still have a place for my 4.3 wooden floor job for the longer exposed routes.

Enjoy your boat...its a very seaworthy small craft
Old 13 April 2018, 15:22   #15

Thank you Gurnard, great photo's and great advice. I'm definitely going to use your solution regarding the seats.

Next on my list are Beachmaster wheels, I'm hoping to get away with the non removable variety as I can purchase them from this country rather than buying them from NZ?

Bow canopy after that to keep the worst of the weather off.

It's all money though so some saving needed. I'm just going to enjoy the boat for the time being.
Old 27 April 2018, 20:21   #16

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Quote:
Originally Posted by James14 View Post
Thank you Gurnard, great photo's and great advice. I'm definitely going to use your solution regarding the seats.

Next on my list are Beachmaster wheels, I'm hoping to get away with the non removable variety as I can purchase them from this country rather than buying them from NZ?

Bow canopy after that to keep the worst of the weather off.

It's all money though so some saving needed. I'm just going to enjoy the boat for the time being.

Which bow canopy are you using? I’ve not found many out there.
Old 16 June 2022, 17:35   #17

Town: Chester Le Street
Make: Honwave T32-IE3
Engine: Yamaha 9.9HP petrol
Thanks for posting this review on the Frib. Exactly what I want. I'm interested in this Frib.
Thanks Steve
Old 16 June 2022, 17:49   #18

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
F-Rib 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Potts View Post
Thanks for posting this review on the Frib. Exactly what I want. I'm interested in this Frib.
Thanks Steve

Search The Gurnards posts. He has a Frib among others.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib