Old 28 March 2018, 19:22   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Length: 3m +
F-Rib 360

After 6 months of looking for the right boat I have finally found a decent used F-Rib 360. I'll post a review when the weather allows me to get out on the water.

My question is: I have to store the boat upright deflated due to limited storage space. It may sound a silly question but does it matter which end I stand the boat on? It's fitted with aftermarket plastic wheels which won't detach so it's a balancing act if I stand the boat on the transom.

Cheers

James
Old 28 March 2018, 19:49   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I cant see why it would matter which way up you store.

Well done on getting sorted. Those Fribs really skim across the water so it should be a flying machine with your new Tohatsu 20.

Look forward to hearing how it goes when you manage to get out.
Old 28 March 2018, 20:30   #3

[QUOTE=Fenlander;768602]I cant see why it would matter which way up you store.

Cheers Fenlander. I was hoping to get out on the water on Monday but the weather's looking rubbish.
Old 29 March 2018, 06:58   #4

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi James I have the smaller F –Rib and like you .. I stand it on end to store it.

My preference is to sit it down on the hinge end. Simply because at that end there is no PVC tube material there to get snagged. It sits nicely on the fibre glass bulkheads that form the hinge. ..if that makes sense

If I sat mine down on the transom end.. I could easily snag the PVC cones which form and fold round the transom so it can be packed small. My worry being if I dragged it slightly while lifting.. a PVC cone could get trapped and cut.

That is my preference anyhoo.
Old 29 March 2018, 07:20   #5

Thank you Gurnard, that's what I thought but just wanted to make sure.

At the end of the season I'm going to get the bottom gel coated as the boat has only been used a handful of times and it's quite well marked. I'm thinking about adding the rubber keelguard strips as well. I was just surprised at how much the guards cost ��.
Old 29 March 2018, 10:50   #6

Hi again James .. yes..they can get scratched .. its same with any fibre glass boat. Mine is well marked now its in its third season and well used ..often hauled up rocky shore and I don't bother with transom wheels.

However I tend to think of the marks as "Well earned scars ..from great adventures" rather than worry about them

As long as its not through to the matting ..a discolouration scar does no harm in my book

I fitted the keel strips to mine on day one and it has saved the sharp edges of the keel and chines. I followed the advice of my kayak mates and used keel easy tape https://www.chillcheater.com/keeleazy-keel-strip

Its still expensive at £8 per meter for 50mm wide but its not hundreds of pound like some keel strip stuff. I applied it with a hot hair dryer on a good warm day..and its still stuck and doing its job.

Enjoy your F Rib ..I think mine is great
Old 29 March 2018, 12:09   #7

Cheers for the advice I'll try the tape. Can't wait to get out, 4 days off but weather forecast doesn't look good.
Old 29 March 2018, 12:13   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I'd agree with Gurnard re no bothering to have it gel coated.... it seems so likely that will quickly go the way of the current finish... spend the money on something else boaty!
Old 29 March 2018, 13:17   #9

Hi again James .. here are a couple of photos I have just taken. It shows the tape condition after two full seasons. Its well worth it.

I bought 3 meters and it was around £25 quid for the protection it gives.

The hull has scratches but in the photos cant really be seen. As Fenlander said..if you resurfaced it ..it will just scratch again. I know some folks polish their scratches out with a cutting compound like T Cut then polish..which helps hide them ..but it also wears the gell coat so I don’t bother.

This photo shows the hinge end I stand the boat on for storage ..there is no PVC on this end

This photo shows the PVC cones that could snag if stored on that end

Sometimes I get a chip on the sharp edge of the hinge ..where the two halves meet. Possibly because I accidentally trap a small stone in the hinge without noticing ? These chips go down to the matting..so I fill them with fibreglass filler to stop water getting into the matting.

Anyhoo..that covers all my thoughts on it. If you have a 20HP on the 360 size..it will move.

A friend has same and it goes +30 mph or there abouts.. which is fast for a wee boat.
Old 29 March 2018, 14:06   #10

Mr Gurnard�� great pictures and thank you. Just ordering some tape now and will take your advice on board.

Just looked at the weather forecast and rain for the next 10 days so doesn't look too promising. Typical seeing I'm on holiday for 4 days. ��.

Tags
rib