Old 23 April 2017, 19:55   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Excel Volante 390 Engine Height

Hi, I was going to drill my transom today and fit the 8mm bolts but would like your advice about the height of the motor. Do you think it's too low?

Terry Wright told me they always just sit the engine on the transom and tighten the screws and there's no need to worry about setting the height.

Also, I'm going to order a 230mm Atlantic Slot Lock (Suzuki DF20 clamps measured 167mm). Any idea if it's possible to fit a second 'Volcano' bolt lock as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brackets Fitted.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	119112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavitation Plate 50mm Below Transom.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	119113  
Old 25 April 2017, 15:52   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
here you go
Attached Images

Old 25 April 2017, 19:24   #3

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Terry Wright told me they always just sit the engine on the transom and tighten the screws and there's no need to worry about setting the height.

Well that is very disappointing advice from an importer/dealer to say no need to worry setting the height - sales garbage.
As quite correctly indicated in Jeff's diagram getting the AV plate near to transom level at keel is paramount for efficient performance. If too low apart from reduced efficiency you will probably experience excessive splashing also.
Relatively easy and worthwhile to experiment raising motor with timber shims on transom. Most engine/boat combinations we've had worked best with motor within 10mm of keel.

Name:	IMG_1675.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	119191

Name:	IMG_1075.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	119195
Old 25 April 2017, 21:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Well that is very disappointing advice from an importer/dealer to say no need to worry setting the height - sales garbage.
As quite correctly indicated in Jeff's diagram getting the AV plate near to transom level at keel is paramount for efficient performance. If too low apart from reduced efficiency you will probably experience excessive splashing also.
Relatively easy and worthwhile to experiment raising motor with timber shims on transom. Most engine/boat combinations we've had worked best with motor within 10mm of keel.
Attachment 119191
Attachment 119195

Yes I agree, the cav plate should be in line (horizontally) or within an inch of the keel line although with a small outboard on a small sib you can't expect a massive improvement in speed or efficiency. I had 3.8m Prestige with a 15hp two stroke a number of years back and I remember going through the exact same, played around with things a bit but only found small improvements in performance
Old 26 April 2017, 07:04   #5

RIBase
i've seen recently at a supplier where they lift the engine up very slightly to give a small air gap between the clamp bottom and the transom relying on the clamp screws and bolts through the transom to hold the engine [if you have them] this is supposed to relive stresses on the transom although my boat manufacturer states clamp directly onto the transom with two shims supplied. dont think lifting with an air gap is industry standard just down to each boat manufacturer.personally i've always mounted direct to the transom and always will.
Old 26 April 2017, 11:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
i've seen recently at a supplier where they lift the engine up very slightly to give a small air gap between the clamp bottom and the transom relying on the clamp screws and bolts through the transom to hold the engine [if you have them] this is supposed to relive stresses on the transom although my boat manufacturer states clamp directly onto the transom with two shims supplied. dont think lifting with an air gap is industry standard just down to each boat manufacturer.personally i've always mounted direct to the transom and always will.

Likewise jeff
Old 26 April 2017, 11:52   #7

RIBase
out of the suzuki manual so engine and boat manufacturer state the same in my case.

i would set engine as cav plate in diagram and fit bar lock i have the same you could add bolt lock if bolts are clear to fit for added security
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0094 (1).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	119210