Old 23 September 2018, 07:38   #1

Town: Rode
Make: Excel volante 330
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Excel volante 330

Been to boat show at Southampton and bought myself a excel volante 330, with a 9.9 mariner outboard, never had one before so starting from scratch, been kayaking for years but thought I would like to try something else, could any one give me good launching places , rivers, on the sea southcoast
Old 23 September 2018, 09:34   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome to the world of sibbing.

If bought new at the boat show I'm guessing you have the same Mariner 9.9 as mine which is proving perfect for our current needs.

The are a few current and past Excel owners on here and they seem to be a well regarded SIB.

The whole of the south coast is a pretty large area... whereabouts is within easy reach for you? My south coast sibbing experience is limited to the last two year's holidays... Teignmouth in Devon and Fowey in Cornwall.
Old 23 September 2018, 10:00   #3

Hi our local area we use are Poole, swanage, Bournemouth, Weymouth, we do travel to different areas as we have a touring caravan, just looking for easy good places to launch, don't want to spend loads of money on proper launch ramps

Thanks
Old 23 September 2018, 10:26   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ahh OK that area is outside my recent smallcraft experience but there are loads on here who operate in those places.

But I would say don't automatically avoid slipways that charge... sometimes they offer easy clean safe launches and occasionally other facilities.
Old 23 September 2018, 11:19   #5

Thanks, can't wait to try it out, I just love the water, don't get boat & engine until 4 weeks time
Old 23 September 2018, 12:50   #6

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Hi combat welcome to the firm [emoji41] that is a good out fit you have and you should have hours of fun on her if you treat her nice [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 23 September 2018, 15:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Hi combat welcome to the firm [emoji41] that is a good out fit you have and you should have hours of fun on her if you treat her nice [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Thankyou
Old 23 September 2018, 18:19   #8

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Great boat. Although I sold mine to make way for a larger Zodiac they are very capable. Some footage of mine on this forum from the Scottish trip.

Enjoy!
Old 23 September 2018, 18:35   #9

[QUOTE=Gazzago;782781]Great boat. Although I sold mine to make way for a larger Zodiac they are very capable. Some footage of mine on this forum from the Scottish trip.

Just found your footage, it looked like you all had a fantastic trip, well done
Old 24 September 2018, 21:42   #10

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
I couldn't fault my Excel 390 in terms of quality, better than Honwave or Suzumar IMHO. And because yours is smaller the 9.9hp will go so much better than if you had purchased it with a larger boat.

We have had six weeks of boating heaven this year and last in Salcombe. Was able to lock the boat under the South Sands beach hotel for free. Pretty secure and an easy launch point. We also launched for free at Dartmouth and Plymouth which are within easy reach, then you have rivers Dart, Yealm and Tamar to explore.

Wherever you go watch out for headlands where you often find tidal races and resulting overfalls which can be quite dangerous for the unwary.

Powerboat level 2 course was well worthwhile as was purchase of handheld vhf.

P.S. Salcombe also has a reasonably priced Mariner dealership who would give your engine it's first service.
Old 25 September 2018, 11:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I couldn't fault my Excel 390 in terms of quality, better than Honwave or Suzumar IMHO. And because yours is smaller the 9.9hp will go so much better than if you had purchased it with a larger boat.

We have had six weeks of boating heaven this year and last in Salcombe. Was able to lock the boat under the South Sands beach hotel for free. Pretty secure and an easy launch point. We also launched for free at Dartmouth and Plymouth which are within easy reach, then you have rivers Dart, Yealm and Tamar to explore.

Wherever you go watch out for headlands where you often find tidal races and resulting overfalls which can be quite dangerous for the unwary.

Powerboat level 2 course was well worthwhile as was purchase of handheld vhf.

P.S. Salcombe also has a reasonably priced Mariner dealership who would give your engine it's first service.

Yeah thanks for your your reply, I have vhf radio & safety gear,, where do you actually launch on river Dart? We love Salcombe so must give it a try, any launching areas info would be brilliant

Thanks
Old 25 September 2018, 11:46   #12

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
At Dartmouth you launch on the public slipway adjacent to the upper ferry, if you have a trailer it can be left in the trailer park opposite. 1st May to 30th Sept parking is a problem but there's a housing estate up the hill or you could use the Park and Ride. There's no fees to pay to use the river.

At Salcombe, South Sands is an ideal place to store and launch a SIB but when you have paid ~£30 yearly charge to use the estuary you can launch at Batson Creek for 'free' at any state of tide. Parking in the boat park is £4 each for trailer and car for 1/2 day after 2.30pm, £8 each for full day. South Sands hotel has some parking which can be used for free or you can park on the road if it's early in the season as there's always sand obscuring the double yellow lines and they never issue tickets in that case. Another possibility is launching at Hope Cove (Inner Hope) on the lifeboat ramp which is £6/day if you are challenged but there's plenty of free parking to compensate.

Salcombe is easily commutable for Plymouth or Dartmouth. If you are like us with caravan we found Higher Rew campsite is ideally located and not overpriced with plenty of other 'boaties', most of whom have season pitches. They offer secure covered boat storage in one of the farm's barns @£2/day but don't charge if it is alongside your pitch.

At Plymouth the Mountbatten public slipway is available at all states of tide and you park along the road or if spaces are all taken there's a large car park in a wooded area opposite for free. Entrance to slipway is not easily spotted from the road. You could also launch at Sutton Harbour for free, not ideal for trailers though due to 90deg and steep access and you'd have to pay for parking.

I added the info about trailers for others, the sheer weight of all our gear which we couldn't reduce, and constantly hauling a wet and heavy boat uphill through soft sand was a major reason we changed from SIB to RIB/trailer. I got a second-hand bargain from our neighbour or I would have been looking at Excel RIBS as they maintain their value so well. Could have sold our Excel many times over having only advertised on Gumtree, not Ebay.
Old 25 September 2018, 20:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
At Dartmouth you launch on the public slipway adjacent to the upper ferry, if you have a trailer it can be left in the trailer park opposite. 1st May to 30th Sept parking is a problem but there's a housing estate up the hill or you could use the Park and Ride. There's no fees to pay to use the river.

At Salcombe, South Sands is an ideal place to store and launch a SIB but when you have paid ~£30 yearly charge to use the estuary you can launch at Batson Creek for 'free' at any state of tide. Parking in the boat park is £4 each for trailer and car for 1/2 day after 2.30pm, £8 each for full day. South Sands hotel has some parking which can be used for free or you can park on the road if it's early in the season as there's always sand obscuring the double yellow lines and they never issue tickets in that case. Another possibility is launching at Hope Cove (Inner Hope) on the lifeboat ramp which is £6/day if you are challenged but there's plenty of free parking to compensate.

Salcombe is easily commutable for Plymouth or Dartmouth. If you are like us with caravan we found Higher Rew campsite is ideally located and not overpriced with plenty of other 'boaties', most of whom have season pitches. They offer secure covered boat storage in one of the farm's barns @£2/day but don't charge if it is alongside your pitch.

At Plymouth the Mountbatten public slipway is available at all states of tide and you park along the road or if spaces are all taken there's a large car park in a wooded area opposite for free. Entrance to slipway is not easily spotted from the road. You could also launch at Sutton Harbour for free, not ideal for trailers though due to 90deg and steep access and you'd have to pay for parking.

I added the info about trailers for others, the sheer weight of all our gear which we couldn't reduce, and constantly hauling a wet and heavy boat uphill through soft sand was a major reason we changed from SIB to RIB/trailer. I got a second-hand bargain from our neighbour or I would have been looking at Excel RIBS as they maintain their value so well. Could have sold our Excel many times over having only advertised on Gumtree, not Ebay.

Brilliant, really appreciate your comments, just what i needed, we have been to Higher Rew before and we really love the area so can't wait to try it out
Old 04 October 2018, 06:55   #14

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
There is also a nice public slip at Totnes on the Dart which I think is free and a car park right next to it that was quite cheap. Looked like a very nice slipway too
Old 04 October 2018, 11:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
There is also a nice public slip at Totnes on the Dart which I think is free and a car park right next to it that was quite cheap. Looked like a very nice slipway too
Cheers I better have a look