Old 29 October 2015, 16:34   #1

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Engines, transport and storage

Hi… I’m considering a SIB – the Honwave T38 and I have some questions about engines/storage/transport… to be honest I’m a little confused and the threads I’ve found on the forums are leaving me even more confused.

(1) Transport – I’m considering a Honda 20Hp 4-stroke. If I put this in the back of the car how do I ensure it doesn’t leak petrol/oil and/or get damaged. Is there a specific way it should be transported?
(2) Transport – I’ve read that many people trailer their SIB – however I’ve also read that you shouldn’t drive with the engine on whilst trailered (strain on the transom/tubes not to mention the bounce that accompanies a SIB on a trailer) – doesn’t this defeat the purpose of trailering if you have to remove/mount the engine every time?
(3) Storage – is it okay to leave the engine on the transom for prolonged periods of time in the garden or should it be removed whilst being stored

And one about storage of a SIB

Is it better to leave it fully inflated, part deflated or completely deflated when stored? I was thinking I’d part deflate it and then hang it somehow from the garage roof but any recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stig
Old 29 October 2015, 16:59   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
4-strokes have labels on them to tell you how to lay them down.

Been argued here loads about trailering with an outboard on. You need to make sure your trailer supports the transom well... and the outboard skeg too.

I prefer an outboard stored inside over the winter... well at all times actually.

Again differing opinions re SIB storage. I believe the best would be inflated to a low pressure with no outboard on, indoors and completely enclosed in a cover of some kind. However all my SIBs have been fully deflated and packed... protected from dust, dirt & impact damage plus a neat package to tuck away in the garage. This tight packing has never caused a fabric or seam issue even with 40yr old SIBs.
Old 29 October 2015, 17:03   #3

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
A lot depends on how often you use it. For me it's two weeks every year in Scotland. Transport my Tohatsu 4 stroke on it's side in the boot. Being a 4 stroke it's very specific (usually a sticker tells you which way) as the oil can leak out. No worries with a two stroke. I wash and fold my Honwave 3.5 AE thoroughly when we get home, dry it thoroughly first and put it away from the mice (hopefully) on a high shelf. Outboard lives upright on a stand.
Old 29 October 2015, 17:06   #4

Thanks chaps.

And I'm guessing the outboard will fit sideways in the boot. Think the Honda is 1.1m and I'm guessing the internal width of a Passat boot is wider than that?
Old 29 October 2015, 18:07   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I keep mine ready to go full cover on pumped up to 80% pressure,engine on 25hp bunk trailer bunks past transom keel bunk the same.docking arms fitted to keep boat strait when retrieving
Two straps off transom to the trailer engine lifted up and rested on chock not onto the mechanism with strap back keeping engine tight, winch on the bow in a position to keep the boat down and forward pump to full pressure before traveling and keep cover on too.reason my rig is heavy duty Sib 100kg engine 61kg 49kg other stuff +fuel nothing wrong with wrong with other methods just suits me and never had any problems towing and done thousands of miles over the years.

Cheers
Old 29 October 2015, 18:09   #6

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
The weight of the fourstrokes I don't find a problem, it's the top heavy aspect I struggle with when putting it in the boot. I usually get the Mrs or one of the kids to lift the gearbox in first. I always pack it well with an old quilt to minimise scratches on the cowl and rest the head end on an old pillow to raise it slightly too.
The shortshaft engines are quite compact.
Old 29 October 2015, 18:25   #7

RIBase
Have a look at gurnard's posts he puts his 25 two stroke in the boot/ estate on a sack trolley with the boat on the trailer not sure but he might even put the boat in too 4.2 m quicksilver 120 kg at times . he's got it off to a tee floating the boat pushing the engine down on the trolley and float the boat under it no lifting! He will be along if he's not on another adventure.

Cheers
Old 29 October 2015, 18:27   #8

Here is an example of my Citroen C5 Tourer packed with...

Zodiac 360 air floor. Mariner 15 2-stroke. 25lit tank. Lifejackets for 4. Anchor, ropes, oars, boathook, flares, floating grab bags, tools etc. Two seats and seat bag. Transom wheels. Two large tarps. Bravo pump. We had already unloaded luggage and kit for two adults plus two teens to spend a week in Scotland.

If not obvious the rear seat backs are not folded... just the normal loadspace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac in car.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	109460  
Old 29 October 2015, 18:33   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Here is an example of my Citroen C5 Tourer packed with...

Zodiac 360 air floor. Mariner 15 2-stroke. 25lit tank. Lifejackets for 4. Anchor, ropes, oars, boathook, flares, floating grab bags, tools etc. Two seats and seat bag. Transom wheels. Two large tarps. Bravo pump. We had already unloaded luggage and kit for two adults plus two teens to spend a week in Scotland.

If not obvious the rear seat backs are not folded... just the normal loadspace.
About as good as gets David I bet 15 mins and your ready to go spot on.

Cheers
Old 29 October 2015, 20:01   #10

Yep it was an efficient outfit to assemble... back in 2010 that was. Car is now different/older and larger, outboard a Mercury the same size, Zodiac has become Aerotec but the principle remains.

Below was us just arrived home from two weeks in Scotland this July... the ultimate test of car packing. Full kit as in two posts above but this time a Zodiac 340 and Aerotec inside plus an Aerotec on the roof... and an extra set of transom wheels!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW loaded.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	109461  
Old 30 October 2015, 07:54   #11

RIBase
certainly full.
to be honest that's why i trail mine i seem to take too much and put all my boat kit in the boat, harry our dog gets the back to himself and the cases and the wife's kit on the back seat.
Old 30 October 2015, 09:36   #12

Some impressive packing...

If we didn't have a rather large Lab we *might* get it all in although we seem to fill the car/roofbox as it is without a boat and engine!
Old 30 October 2015, 12:51   #13

I've done the - jam it in / on the car routine.
I even bought a small camping trailer and roof box to accommodate all my gear.
I have to say that my preferred method of sibbing /fishing and camping is with my sib inflated and trailered.
The sib itself is utilised as a storage compartment for all the brick a brac.
I put the cover on the sib to keep it waterproof.
My two four stroke engines then go in the car boot.
Once at launch site the engines go on the sib and I pack the stuff from the sib back into the car.
The engines remain on the sib until the homeward journey.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1446209364781.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	109486   Click image for larger version

Name:	1446209389503.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	109487   Click image for larger version

Name:	1446209443721.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	109488  
Old 30 October 2015, 19:36   #14

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I still don't get why anyone would buy a sib then never deflate it.It seems pointless having all the downsides of a sib then not using its one huge advantage
If it's never going to be deflated buy a rib, then you don't need worry about stowing the engine & you can fill it with stuff & use it as a trailer.
A basic rib will perform much better,be stronger & Ali ones are lighter than sibs.
I suppose the decision is do you need &will you use the convenience of being able to pack it into a small space
Old 31 October 2015, 09:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I still don't get why anyone would buy a sib then never deflate it.It seems pointless having all the downsides of a sib then not using its one huge advantage
If it's never going to be deflated buy a rib, then you don't need worry about stowing the engine & you can fill it with stuff & use it as a trailer.
A basic rib will perform much better,be stronger & Ali ones are lighter than sibs.
I suppose the decision is do you need &will you use the convenience of being able to pack it into a small space
I agree with all of the above.
If I went back to 2010 armed with what I know now I'd be buying a small alu hulled rib - comparable in size to my Honwave.
For me the initial reason for going for a sib was being able to take it away with my caravan.
Soon I wanted to use it regulate from home for local sea fishing and quickly got hacked off with the build up strip down and wash out process that accompanied every trip.
It got to the stage where I really wanted to go out sea fishing on various particular days but didn't because I couldn't be arsed wrestling the sib out of the garage and putting myself through another build process - hence I built a trailer.
I've now got a small slat floor Seago for my caravan trips which is a doddle to carry and build .
When it comes time to say ta ta to my Honwave it will be hello to an aluminium hulled rib.
Old 31 October 2015, 15:41   #16

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Length: 5m +
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640

Last row is partially folded. This big black bag in the middle keeps fins, masks, neoprene suits for 5 persons family.
Engine was on folded trailer like this one mentioned below in vertical position

Now I do prefer trailer and RIB. 50 kg was too much for me to carry and put and get from the car.
Old 31 October 2015, 21:46   #17

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
I agree with the above if you plan to keep inflated on a trailer, it's a rib all day long. Though this does depend on where and how you plan to launch. Do you plan to launch on a decent slipway or beach etc?
Old 01 November 2015, 09:35   #18

RIBase
You still have an option of fold up even if it's kept on a trailer not so with a rib