Old 17 July 2014, 07:42   #1

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Engine upgrade

Hi all, was on Hoilday a few years ago and was looking at the people having a great time out at sea with(as I know now sibs), and while the wife was not looking I jumped on the web and got a Honwave airdeck and a Honda 2.4hp delivered to my Hoilday house, my wife is not a fan of boating so after receiving a ear bashing about my expesive Hoilday present I have since been pottering around in my little boat, and on the whole happy with the weight v fun trade off, anyway to the question
The Honda 2.4hp as I'm sure you will know is air cooled and has its own little petrol tank, so pretty fool proof, do you think i would get much more speed if I upgraded to a 5hp engine or would the hastle of the extra weight etc not be worth it
Regards
Mick
Old 17 July 2014, 09:40   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
A jump to a 5hp will make a massive difference to the performance of your sib, mainly because it will plane with just you on board.

I would guess your current max speed at WOT is around 4-5mph, with a 5hp the boat will get on the plane and reach the heady speeds of 10 or 11mph, trust me that will feel fast after your 2.3.

If you are going for a new 4 stroke engine I would go for the maximum your dinghy can take, 6hp. The cost difference is neglible and the extra power may even allow you to plane with 2 on board. The other reason to go for the 6 is that it will be the same weight as the 5hp anyway, so might as well have the extra grunt (Suzuki is just 25kg)

But if you are looking for a used engine, try and find a clean 2 stroke, they are not cheap but are well worth it. With a 2 stroke you would might be better sticking to a 5hp (If weight is really important) since all the 6hp I can think of are twin cylinder and although smoother weigh a lot more (5hp Yamaha=19kg, 6hp Yamaha = 27kg).
Old 17 July 2014, 10:46   #3

Thanks for the great advice, looks like its time for an upgrade then, I'll have a look at the 2v4 stroke options, at this rate of upgrade I'll be on a 75hp dream machine by the time I'm 70
Old 17 July 2014, 14:27   #4

Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Take a good look to see if there are any 2 stroke restrictions where you usually take your boat. I had to go for a 4 stroke since 2 strokes are not allowed in dams in my country.

BTW, what Honwave do you have and how many hp can it take?
Old 17 July 2014, 14:47   #5

Hi, thanks for the advise, I have the 2.4 honwave air deck with a 5hp limit, it's not my ideal set up, it was just a quick Hoilday purchase, I was going to upgrade the motor a big for the rest of this year then see about a new toy next year
Old 17 July 2014, 15:36   #6

No restrictions in the UK, all waterways that allow engines allow 2 strokes.

If you are going to upgrade the sib next year anyway, you might as well upgrade the whole lot. Stick the Honwave and engine on Ebay and boats and outboards, if you price it right it will sell within a week. Then buy a whole new or new to you package, simples. It doesnt need to cost as much as you think, and upgrading in a single shot is always cheaper than upgrading bit by bit.
Old 17 July 2014, 19:57   #7

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
A 2.4 Mt sib is a pool toy in size, don't know your current weight, but will have my doubts if a 5 HP will plane that size sib with you along, too much hull drag to overcome fast.

Most likely will achieve just fast displacement non planing speeds. Sell that combo right away and buy a larger 3.20 and up sib with an engine you feel comfy in carrying.

Happy Boating
Old 17 July 2014, 20:03   #8

Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Suzuki 4hp
For what it's worth- I'm only a novice but I can say that my 4hp four stroke (Suzuki) planes well solo. In fact it flies along especially if I lean well forward. With wife/picnic/spare fuel added it still just about planes in flat water. Rough water and a headwind makes it slow, wet and unpleasant.

I know it's not that far, but we went from Baiter Park, over to Studland, then around Brownsea recently and seem to have used only about 3 litres or less of fuel.

As far as I can tell, small boat engines are a bit like the bike engines I knew in the 70's- Two stokes = Noisy, Smokey, revvey and thirsty but fun. Four strokes are quieter, more refined, heavier but more frugal.
Old 17 July 2014, 20:13   #9

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Yep but accorrding to your avatar you have a 3 + Mt sib which is more easier to plane as has less hull drag as opposed to a shorter 2.40 Mt.

Happy Boating
Old 17 July 2014, 20:26   #10

I know that a Honwave 2.4 will plane with a 4hp 2 stroke and a 'chunky' helm on board It was easier with a tiller extension and I mainly sat on the seat, rather than the tubes.
Old 18 July 2014, 07:45   #11

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
It may be worth talking to Bill Higham Marine in StHelens, Manchester because they have loads of smaller engines s/h so a 5hp with a part ex may not run you to much dosh at all and would be worth it for a bit more power.

Phil
Old 18 July 2014, 10:14   #12

Town: weymouth
Length: 5m +
my sib with with a 5hp planes fine with my 16st ballast in it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sib resize.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	96864  
Old 18 July 2014, 10:35   #13

Thanks for all the advice, got a weeks Hoilday in Bigbury in September which will be solid boating , so I'll get an engine change for that then see what santa can fit down the chimney at Xmas, as the next problem will be- air deck, ail deck , or wood.
I live nr Gatwick so does anybody know a good outboard shop nr me
Thanks
Mick
Old 28 July 2014, 05:25   #14

Hi all
After all the great advice, I got a as new Suzuki 6hp four stroke on eBay for £620, which I will try out on my sib when my bravo comes back from Italy after a warranty repair, as for my Honwave, I'll probably swap it out for a red bombard and see how that works out