Old 17 August 2008, 20:22   #1

Town: playa flamenca
Boat name: el barno
Make: aqomar
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Engine transporting

I have a 350 SIB and have now purchased a trailer to save the hassle of inflating and deflating and the missus moaning about sand in the back of the car,could anyone tell me if they think there is a problem of carrying the engine fixed to the boat while driving i.e. strain on the rear of the boat or the movement of the trailer causing a problem, the engine is a 4 stroke 6hp cheers
Old 17 August 2008, 21:21   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Picture would be useful to see how the boat sits on the trailer, degree of overhang, height clearance, etc.
Old 17 August 2008, 22:51   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
I have a 350 SIB and have now purchased a trailer to save the hassle of inflating and deflating and the missus moaning about sand in the back of the car,could anyone tell me if they think there is a problem of carrying the engine fixed to the boat while driving i.e. strain on the rear of the boat or the movement of the trailer causing a problem, the engine is a 4 stroke 6hp cheers
Congrats, the best thing you could have done, Post if possible, a empty trailer pic, to see how the tubes rest against & trailer type. Carry all the time a trailered alu 360 sib with a 18 HP. 2 stroke engine with no prob at all of any kind. So a 6 will be a light breeze properly seated.

Happy Sibbing
Old 18 August 2008, 00:20   #4

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
i think it may be better to lay the engine down inside the boat on something like foam ,might put less strain on the transom ,i always take my engine off if i am towing more than a couple of miles ,biggest problem are pot holes and speed bumps in the road that can make the boat and engine bounce about though where i live in yorkshire the condition of roads is poor anyhow your area may be different ,
Old 18 August 2008, 01:06   #5

Thanks for the quick replies Im afraid havnt got a clue how to send photos as im being dragged into the 21st century,the roads where I live in Spain are full of pot holes and the new spanish craze for speed bumps the size of Everest put me off the idea of carrying the engine on the transom or in the boat also the tubes do rest slightly on the mud guards so maybe the extra weight may cause wear on the boat I will stick to carrying it in the boot.Once again thanks for your replies
Old 18 August 2008, 01:54   #6

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Thanks for the quick replies Im afraid havnt got a clue how to send photos as im being dragged into the 21st century,the roads where I live in Spain are full of pot holes and the new spanish craze for speed bumps the size of Everest put me off the idea of carrying the engine on the transom or in the boat also the tubes do rest slightly on the mud guards so maybe the extra weight may cause wear on the boat I will stick to carrying it in the boot.Once again thanks for your replies
Please consider that you have a 4 stroke engine and it has oil in it. I also have a 6 hp 4 stroke. Most advice I have received is do not store them layed down as the oil will seep past the rings into the upper end of the engine. Maybe there is a way you can leave it on the transom but support most of the weight on the back end of the trailer. Bungy it down also to stop it bouncing while towing.
Cheers.
Old 18 August 2008, 03:27   #7

I have been wondering if laying the engine down would cause any damage but the shop I brought it from reckon its fine as long as its the correct side i.e.the side with the two lugs and it does state that in the users manuaul but I am looking at buying a stand to be on the safe side when storing it
Old 19 August 2008, 08:07   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I've transported a couple of small 4- strokes in the car. There will be a corect angle to sit them at to stop oil escaping.

A quick read of the handbook should tell you.
Old 19 August 2008, 15:34   #9

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
The manual for my 6 hp Tohatsu say: Always store vertical, If you must lay it down the on it's side with tiller up. Do not tow with engine tilted unless it is supported by a transom saver and tied down.
Old 19 August 2008, 15:37   #10

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
laying a 4 stroke down on the correct side wont cause problems for a car journey its when storing the engine for long periods weeks rather than hours on its side that may cause oil seepage into the cylinders even then its not a big problem ,
Old 19 August 2008, 16:26   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
laying a 4 stroke down on the correct side wont cause problems for a car journey its when storing the engine for long periods weeks rather than hours on its side that may cause oil seepage into the cylinders even then its not a big problem ,
Worth keeping the prop lower than the powerhead though as it'll stop water runing back up the exhaust.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote