Old 09 September 2009, 16:38   #31
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20
Originally Posted by CJS View Post
I purchased my Honda 20 HP brand new - just coming up for first service at the end of this month.

The first few times it started practically on first or second pull from cold. The last couple of times it seems to have become more stubborn - from cold - and the last time I spent at least 10 or 15 minutes trying to get it started...

I was wondering that once everything is coupled and I have pumped the fuel through the line to engine that maybe I should - without the choke engaged pull through a couple of times first?

Any thoughts?
I have a Honda 20hp. If it has not started with the choke on/out (or partly out) it may be flooded, I have pushed the choke in and as per the manual "open the throttle grip 1/8 - 1/4 turns and start". This has worked for me so far.

Wavesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 04:56   #32
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
as a matter of intrest i decided as its a fine day to give my 4 stroke a run in the tank in the garden using some petrol which i bought about 6 weeks ago ,kept in a can in the back of my car as the car fuel gauge was not working and i wanted it there so i wouldent get stranded ,anyhow got the car fixed and thought about seeing how the outboard would start on 6 weeks old fuel ,,,engine hasent be run for 3 or 4 weeks ,, and it started and ran on the second pull ,

m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 07:45   #33
Town: GTA
Make: QS 330 airdeck
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2-strke
Term of "old fuel" is only relevant to fuels that are very old, like few years, or old leaded fuel from the era of carburated cars in the 70's. Other than that, in general, modern fuel will not "go bad" after only few months.

And as it has been said before, it is a great idea of emting carb from fuel before packing engine for transportation/storage.

oujakov is offline   Reply With Quote