Old 04 September 2009, 16:52   #11

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
Does the Golf T method empty the carb bowl?

That's where I had problems with mine - old fuel goes gunky and gets into the jets......
no,,,you will have to slacken the carb bowl drain screw for that,, and if you drain it regular its best to use a socket to fit the plug as its only brass and using a screw driver wears the slot out quick ,,,,,,using the golf tee just drains the tank hose,

Old 04 September 2009, 16:58   #12

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Some interesting ways to start 2 strokes cold engines according to temperature, might try any to see if it works for you. 1-2 works fine for me all the time.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starting Procedures.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	45492  

Old 05 September 2009, 03:44   #13
CJS

Town: Warsash
Make: Honwave T 3.8 ie
Engine: Honda 20 HP
The fuel I use was purchased from my local petrol station (having a high turn over), any left overs are in the tank for no more than a couple of weeks at most.

I only purchase from petrol stations because my outboard dealer recommended never to purchase fuel from boat mariners as it is frequently old or contaminated with water.

The guy with the RIB who helped me out also recommended that at the end of each boating day that I should disconnect the fuel line from the fuel tank and let the engine run until it cuts out. I have only just started doing that so not sure if it helps or not yet.

I am not sure whether one can get additives to mix with the fuel or whether that is worth it?
Old 05 September 2009, 05:14   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS View Post
The guy with the RIB who helped me out also recommended that at the end of each boating day that I should disconnect the fuel line from the fuel tank and let the engine run until it cuts out. I have only just started doing that so not sure if it helps or not yet.
The idea of this is it leaves the carbs empty so you are getting fresh fuel into them next time - it used to be common practice when people used pre-mixed 2 stroke fuel which tended to gum up and block stuff if left for too long. I did hear someone once claim it was bad for your engine though as it would be running "lean" and had the potential to pit the cylinder head - not sure if there was any substance to that?
Old 05 September 2009, 06:27   #15

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Engine starting

Honda engines are one of the best, there must be something not right if it's taking ages to start. I've got a Mariner 6hp and if I don't run the engine dry with the fuel line disconnected it takes a few pulls to get it going next time. Also the manual advises not to pull the starter cord more than twice with the choke on.

When you said tank vent closed, I assume you meant open, (that is allowing air in). If the vent is closed the engine won't be able to draw fuel from the tank.
Old 05 September 2009, 09:58   #16

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Other issues for quick starts are plugs age, whether new, old, if cleaned periodically and regapped, correct gas/oil mix ratios, correct engine prime and a strog pul once the ratchet engages on the fly wheel. Other factors, fresh good quality gasoline, clean gas filters & passages and well adjusted carb.

Happy Sibbing
Old 05 September 2009, 12:11   #17
CJS

Town: Warsash
Make: Honwave T 3.8 ie
Engine: Honda 20 HP
Went out today onto Southampton water today - three soft pulls initially then opened the manual choke - started on second attempt. Pleased with the result.
Old 05 September 2009, 16:19   #18

Town: Havre de Grace, MD
Boat name: SD430
Make: Saturn
Engine: 25hp 2 stroke Merc
Send a message via ICQ to 1ThOFA87
WOW this thread has been the most useful discussion I've heard or read in the 4 years since purchasing my SIB. I'd purchased a >20 year old engine and have struggled to get it started until this summer when I began by pulling the choke, pulling the cord a couple of times then pushing the choke back in and starting with 1 or two more pulls. I'd thought something was wrong with it but what you guys are explaining is exactly what had finally been working for me. SPLENDID!!!
Old 07 September 2009, 08:47   #19

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Happy Days
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mariner 4St/4HP
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeP
I've done a quick search but nothing leapt out at me, so here's my question in this vein :-

What's the best procedure if you should flood the engine and any tell-tale symptoms (apart from non-starting !) to look for.

Whilst attempting to get Mrs MikeP to restart the outboard a couple of weeks back, she couldn't get sufficient elbow grease going, got a bit frustrated, and after about 10 or so pulls I cautioned that maybe the engine was flooded and we should leave it for a bit.

We left it for a bit, changed places, and I got it started after a couple of pulls (with no choke out); Mrs MikeP wasn't best chuffed and has been despondent ever since.
Old 07 September 2009, 08:52   #20

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I did hear someone once claim it was bad for your engine though as it would be running "lean" and had the potential to pit the cylinder head - not sure if there was any substance to that?
Personally I'd take that with a pinch of salt - otherwise diesels wouldn't last 10 minutes - they are fundamentally lean burn engines!

As for fuel going off in 2 weeks I can taste salt again - how man businessmen would be stuffed when they got back to their car that had just sat for 2 weeks in the airport long stay?