Closed Thread

Old 25 June 2019, 10:39   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ely Boat Chandlers - Insolvency

I bought my Suzuki 20 efi new from these guys in 2016 and know loads of forum folk have bought Honwaves from them. I noticed today going to their website the following message...

**Ely Boat Chandlers Ltd has ceased trading. Insolvency practitioners have been appointed to facilitate permanent closure of the business**

Always sad to see a business go down but they made a dreadful job of the Suzuki's first service and were less than truthful about costs which were inflated come the time to pay the bill. They also gave totally misleading advice re performance and prop pitch etc which could have led to a newbie having a poor setup. Probably the worse thing was the main guy there became quite stroppy if challenged on any of the above.

So perhaps karma got them in the end.

Hope no-one has an outstanding order with deposit paid.
Old 25 June 2019, 11:09   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
always sad to see firms go down but maybe you have just highlighted why in this case
Old 25 June 2019, 18:40   #3

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Was this not the outfit that always seemed to be cheaper than most operating out of a smallish shed

Father and Son outfit I think
Old 25 June 2019, 18:45   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
They were a proper shop in Ely near the river... been going decades more as a traditional inland chandlers going back years so they were a great place to buy a brass bell for your narrowboat... but latterly and maybe with changed ownership went more into discounted online sales of Honwaves and outboards.
Old 29 June 2019, 20:44   #5

Length: 5m +
I must admit I am a little disappointed at your sentiment. I find it sad that people can do their best, not always give you the answer you may want, but have your personal grievance turned into a slight on integrity.

Karma as you have stated is something that may just indeed come around, so perhaps be careful how you phrase things or how charitable you may be or not be in your comments.

It sounds to me like on this thread EBC have been accused of being too cheap and too expensive within the same conversation. So which is right, please do explain in your retail wisdom....

As for prop theory and boat performance, I welcome proof of your credentials from an engine manufacturer, rather than pseudo science thought up in your shed. Also your in-depth knowledge of servicing a fuel injected engine, I would be truly fascinated to hear about your knowledge of low pressure fuel systems, high pressure fuel systems, fuel condensers, air mass flow meters..... and all the advances that make up a modern lean burn engine. Please do regale me with such expertise....
Old 29 June 2019, 20:57   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar2 View Post
It sounds to me like on this thread EBC have been accused of being too cheap and too expensive within the same conversation. So which is right, please do explain in your retail wisdom....
To be fair, I think the (various) posters suggested that EBC were economical with the truth, stroppy and too cheap to survive the retail Reality.

I'm sure you're not connected with EBC, being as you are, merely Stroppy.

PS: OK, fair enough - you sound a bit weasely too...
Old 29 June 2019, 21:04   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
I must admit I am a little disappointed at your sentiment. I find it sad that people can do their best, not always give you the answer you may want, but have your personal grievance turned into a slight on integrity.

Karma as you have stated is something that may just indeed come around, so perhaps be careful how you phrase things or how charitable you may be or not be in your comments.

As for prop theory and boat performance, I welcome proof of your credentials from an engine manufacturer, rather than pseudo science thought up in your shed. Also your in-depth knowledge of servicing a fuel injected engine, I would be truly fascinated to hear about your knowledge of low pressure fuel systems, high pressure fuel systems, fuel condensers, air mass flow meters..... and all the advances that make up a modern lean burn engine. Please do regale me with such expertise....

I’m sure with all that knowledge & experience, you won’t struggle to find gainful employment. Good luck[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Old 29 June 2019, 21:40   #8

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:

Karma as you have stated is something that may just indeed come around, so perhaps be careful how you phrase things or how charitable you may be or not be in your comments.....

I think you will find the guy that made these comments is 1 of the mildest mannered people on here, the company must have really peeved him off ......
Old 29 June 2019, 22:09   #9

Judge as you wish, but damn I’m pleased to be mortgage free and free of you freeloading fucks!. I can merely suggest you genuinely undergo some technical training because you need it
Old 29 June 2019, 22:50   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Sayonara baby puppy...

Old 30 June 2019, 06:00   #11

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
...pseudo science thought up in your shed...
Britain thrived on doing this. They just weren't able to market the results effectively.

I'm guessing the chap is in the middle of the anger stage in the grief process.
Old 30 June 2019, 07:13   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post

I'm guessing the chap is in the middle of the anger stage in the grief process.

He might well be, but as a new arrival coming in with an attitude like that and throwing around gratuitous profanity targeted at members he’s just lost his rights to post for a while.