Old 26 July 2020, 19:31   #21

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Like I suggested at the start using pulley blocks, I would go for 6x rather than 4x but here is an example.
Old 26 July 2020, 19:53   #22

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
YIKES!

At first I was thinking just roll it over the beach with 49cm Wheeleez at the back, and some smaller ones at the bow, but the pictures tell a different story. There is not going to be an easy way to get it up that beach without front bow wheels, and a winch of some kind. Caspian type would be the easiest with a ultra low stretch line like Spectra. Duty cycle is going to be very important. The pull will not be great, but that is going to take a long run time. To keep the rope from being damaged you will also need to build a pulley system to put at the top of the berm to redirect the rope so it doesn't drag across the rocks. Otherwise it will need to be steel cable.

This is a 500lb (226kg) boat that has been beach launched over many beaches. Although there may be steep sections we never had to navigate a long loose gravel beach like that. Looks hard just to walk across.
Old 26 July 2020, 21:26   #23
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Electric Winch and extension rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I actually have one of those petrol capstans, I use it for recovering deer out of tricky places.

Very handy bit of kit. I’ve got one of these

https://treadlightforestry.co.uk/pro...m-x-10mm-rope/
Old 27 July 2020, 16:11   #24

Town: Eastbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
The bottom of the beach is easy to winch up, but that storm bank near the top is whats going to cause you problems. Even using inflatable rollers then you get close to the bank the winch wire is going to be trying to push the boat nose down in my opinion. You need something on the top of the storm bank with a guide roller to change the angle of pull, a small A frame maybe that you can easily move back to the next bank.
What do others living/launching nearby do?
Making sure you recover at high may help but only with the easy bit.
Because longshore drift is putting the banks of shingle there they are loose packed I bet so no chance of getting the trailer onto them without it sinking up to its axle.
Ive not really helped much.

Many years ago we used to launch jet skis on a similar beach , we would winch the ski off its trailer onto a dolly (trailer with 6 large ballon wheels).
Then two of us were capable of rolling it down , but there used to be a diesel winch permanently fix on a concert slab at the top that was fine pulling up the ski on the dolly.
It didn't dig into the steep sections but the ski was higher up on the trailer, i think my set up is going to be so light at the front i could just pull it up while the winch is going to avoid it digging in.
The old fishing boats just used loads of plastic pipe and some of the huts still have old winches in them.

Im just going to test the small winch with my sib on the trailer if it does that then it'll do my possible bigger rib.
If not or to slow / hassle ill have to spend some money on a petrol capstan!
Old 27 July 2020, 16:25   #25

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
Hi

Could i get a rope made up with loops along the length at say every couple of meters, as i will have to pull up the 15m thats on the winch and then pull it out again and reattached etc.
Hi windsurfer..

What i use is a climbing jumar. The thing mountaineers clamber up ropes with. Attach it to the winch tape..slide it up the rope.. winch in the tape.. unwind the tape..slide the jumar up the rope then winch again until back., Its easy that way so no need to tie loops in the rope etc.

This is a long link..but shows one..or if link does not work google “Climbing jumar”

https://www.thesafetysupplycompany.c...iABEgLFGvD_BwE

In fact … You don’t need to buy a jumar either as there are knots designed to do the job ..google prusik knot and you will find out how to tie them. They can slip depending on the rope you slide them up.. hence why I use a climbing jumar..but at least you can try winch and a prusik knot to haul the boat up your long rope ..before splashing out money.... to see if the method suits you.

Prusik knot..

Hope that helps
Old 27 July 2020, 18:55   #26

Make: Elling K430SL
Engine: 5hp 2T
Went through this myself with jet skis and boats. Stay portable, as you are, or go bigger and into the marina.

The lack of any ramps is ridiculous, I wish the council would invest, there's a huge catchment area for enticing visitors in.
Old 27 July 2020, 19:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi windsurfer..

What i use is a climbing jumar. The thing mountaineers clamber up ropes with. Attach it to the winch tape..slide it up the rope.. winch in the tape.. unwind the tape..slide the jumar up the rope then winch again until back., Its easy that way so no need to tie loops in the rope etc.

This is a long link..but shows one..or if link does not work google “Climbing jumar”

https://www.thesafetysupplycompany.c...iABEgLFGvD_BwE

In fact … You don’t need to buy a jumar either as there are knots designed to do the job ..google prusik knot and you will find out how to tie them. They can slip depending on the rope you slide them up.. hence why I use a climbing jumar..but at least you can try winch and a prusik knot to haul the boat up your long rope ..before splashing out money.... to see if the method suits you.

Prusik knot..

Hope that helps

That is perfect for what i need , i had just mastered the aline loop as i thought i was going to need to tie it 40 odd time plus it would of added nearly half the amount of rope i actually needed!
Old 27 July 2020, 19:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richxlt View Post
Went through this myself with jet skis and boats. Stay portable, as you are, or go bigger and into the marina.

The lack of any ramps is ridiculous, I wish the council would invest, there's a huge catchment area for enticing visitors in.
Ive never understood why there isn't even a ramp into the harbour and everything is hoisted in , i guess that and the fact that there is no ramps nearby is all just about the harbour making money.
Old 28 July 2020, 01:59   #29

Another thought as I to am looking over all options to move a heavy future boat across the beach. Been looking at driving 2-3 wheels with either electric over hydraulic, electric, or air driven, and started running calcs and costs. Then this thread brought up another possible means, when pushing doesn't cut it. The anchor used as a pull point. Our beaches are generally sand, and a good anchor, like a Mantus, easily bites in. So the idea of a self tailing winch, wired to be remote controled, mounted at the bow, is intriguing and reasonably affordable, plus could be removable. First it would pull the anchor up from the bottom of the ocean, which has never really been a big deal though. Secondly it could be used to pull a boat up a beach. The batteries wouldn't weigh much with Lithium, and could even be augmented once on land. So the thought is set the anchor and start pulling with a third steerable wheel under the bow. A two speed winch could probably be used on high most of the time. Still thinking power driving the wheels is the way to go IF I can make it affordable.
Old 29 July 2020, 10:21   #30

Town: Heanor, Derbyshire
Boat name: Bob.
Make: Ex Vol390 + Van485
Engine: Suzuki 2.5/9.9/20hp
RIBase
Last year at new England bay we trialed winching my boat, outboard and trailer up the beach with a budget 12v winch, a car battery and a land anchor. It worked well. But was times consuming.

We looking into a fast spooling winch, but they cost alot of money. So we gave moved onto a forestry winch.

It will have its trial never month at new England bay.

I made the mistake and didn't take any photos last time. But after so much interest on social media I hope to show a full demo next time.
Old 29 July 2020, 12:35   #31

RIBase
Trying to upload some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_215777963008499_resize_30.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	134431  
Old 29 July 2020, 20:29   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dydigital View Post
Last year at new England bay we trialed winching my boat, outboard and trailer up the beach with a budget 12v winch, a car battery and a land anchor. It worked well. But was times consuming.

We looking into a fast spooling winch, but they cost alot of money. So we gave moved onto a forestry winch.

It will have its trial never month at new England bay.

I made the mistake and didn't take any photos last time. But after so much interest on social media I hope to show a full demo next time.
Hi Dd , my winch comes tomorrow and it looks similar to yours in the picture hopefully it'll do the job but not getting over excited! What forestry winch did you get and would be keen to see it in action..
Old 29 July 2020, 20:36   #33

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I would’ve thought that a capstan winch would be more suited to this task.

Eye watering price tag though.
+1 used a lot for tree felling over a grand
Old 29 July 2020, 21:03   #34

RIBase
Quote:
Hi Dd , my winch comes tomorrow and it looks similar to yours in the picture hopefully it'll do the job but not getting over excited! What forestry winch did you get and would be keen to see it in action..
Will post make and model of forestry winch next week.

Here are some photos from new England bay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB_IMG_1596056355454_resize_34.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	134438   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1596056360894_resize_81.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	134439   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1596056335899_resize_68.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	134440  
Old 29 July 2020, 21:23   #35

Getting back to rope and knots, can anyone suggest the best way to attach to the 3 d rings at the front of my sib to keep the pull even across the 3 points.
Cheers
Old 30 July 2020, 05:41   #36

Quote:
Getting back to rope and knots, can anyone suggest the best way to attach to the 3 d rings at the front of my sib to keep the pull even across the 3 points.
Cheers
The same way you should be anchoring, with a bridle that has two attachment points run through the bow one. That way if one side fails, or both fail the center point will hopefully still hold. I was going to take the line and weave it in nicely, but found the knots to be handy to use on land for picking the boat up, and if one side broke, the knot would hopefully hang up in the bow triangle doohickey. A figure eight in the middle forward formed a loop. The length was set to clip to the anchor crate with a carabiner for storage. The carabiner also got used for clipping to the anchor line when deploying it. My photo of the Zodiac above shows it as the white line. Can't remember now if I used 1/2" (13MM) or most likely 5/8" (16mm) line, but it was larger than the 3/8" (4.3mm) anchor line.
Old 30 July 2020, 08:17   #37

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i splice my two side ring ends then pass the rope through the bow ring with a shackle connected to the bow line, my trailer winch attaches to the shackle to. pics of it on my excel 435 build thread
Old 09 September 2020, 07:20   #38

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
So Windsurfer, have you found a solution to the steep shingle beach recovery yet?
Old 09 September 2020, 08:18   #39

Yes I did ! I’ve been meaning to post the pictures and the set up but haven’t had a chance yet !
Will post something later this week , but really happy with the results and able to have a bigger boat !
Old 12 September 2020, 17:42   #40

This is how i have been able to launch my new set up at my local beach..

I use a small piece of 100mm soil pipe under the keel to take the wheels on and off , i can launch and recovery myself but its much easier with 2 and i don't go out alone anyway.

The rib is a 3.8 quicksilver alu hull and a 25hp 2 stroke (about 170kgs with just fuel and outboard).

Name:	Wheels 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	135066

Name:	Wheels 2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	135067

Name:	Wheels 3.jpg