Old 17 February 2019, 12:53   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Electric outboards.

Has anyone tried out the cheapest electric outboards on a sib. Would they work on a 2.7m 36kg tender?
Old 17 February 2019, 13:40   #2

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Has anyone tried out the cheapest electric outboards on a sib. Would they work on a 2.7m 36kg tender?
Not a complete answer to your question, I have a little torqeedo 1003 on our Stingher which is anything but a cheap electric outboard! ( retails about £1300 ). We use it to power our 2.4 zodiac tender and its blooody brilliant! It’s comparable to a petrol 3hp and pushes the tender with ease, but it doesn’t leak fuel or oil when laid down in a locker, no faffing with pull starting and simple enough for the kids to take the tender on jollys.

Long distance your better off with a conventional outboard, otherwise the electric have a lot going for them.
Old 17 February 2019, 13:49   #3

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
I have a little torqeedo 1003 - its blooody brilliant!
+1
Have the same on my 2.6 and it works great .
In a few seconds it can be disassembled and it is very easy to store .
Have a second battery but never used it so far .
Old 18 February 2019, 19:15   #4

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
I think the ones you're thinking of are the sort of thing used by trout fishermen on some reservoirs/lakes where petrol outboards aren't permitted.
Local to me Thornton reservoir is one such, oars are provided but you can bring your own electric motor & battery.
These are 12' fibreglass boats: Fly Fish Thornton - Leicestershire Fly Fishery | Midlands Stillwater Fishery
Chap I used to fish with had one of the lower powered motors & it was fine for moving the boat around at what I would call 'normal easy rowing speed' but not any faster. Can't remember make or model.
Old 18 February 2019, 20:07   #5

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Torqeedo being a bit devious.....

"Can do everything that a 3 HP petrol outboard can"

IF it can produce "3 HP" that would be 2250 Watts

It has a 530 Wh battery meaning...IF it's motor is 100% efficient, IF the it could utilise the entire 530 Wh capacity of the battery, it could do the same as a 3hp petrol engine for 14 minutes..
Old 19 February 2019, 10:46   #6

Town: Ormskirk
Boat name: Viktor
Make: Avon Sr4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 50 / 2hp ele
I have a haswing 24v 2 or 3 Chinese hp rated outboard it pnly pulls 860w from the batteries so in reality it's about 1.1hp that said it pushes my 4m searider down the canal at a steady 3.9mph full throttle or 3.4mph at only 400w! Bad bits is the transom clamp feels really flimsy and the throttle response is incredibly slow presumably to prevent damage to the clamp but it makes manovering quite tricky and Un predictable.
Old 19 February 2019, 13:33   #7

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I have a Torqeedo and regret buying it. It is nicely designed and looks like a quality piece of kit, and is clearly better and more convenient than having a cheap trolling motor attached to a car battery with crocodile clips. However, it was incredibly expensive and is not very robust. The hinge where the tiller joins the battery pack broke very easily. It still works, but I have to be careful with it.

I use it as an auxiliary on my sailing dinghy. The one time I really needed it (I had capsized in conditions I should not have gone out in, and spent a long time in the water before I righted her, and I just needed to get back to the pontoon quickly) I found that the shear pin had broken. The engine had not been running, but the prop clonking the bottom of the lake had been enough to break it. The pin on my 9.9 petrol has coped with a lot more than that!

I once used it on my 3.1 m SIB. At very low speed, it was good enough for a few river miles, but I still ended up rowing the last bit.

The one advantage of an electric outboard is that you can use it where petrol outboards are forbidden. Otherwise, I wish I'd either kept my old 3hp 2 stroke or bought a Honda 2.6 petrol.
Old 21 February 2019, 22:53   #8

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Cheap Chinese or petrol. Much appreciated
Old 22 February 2019, 11:25   #9

Town: Ormskirk
Boat name: Viktor
Make: Avon Sr4
Engine: Mercury 50 / 2hp ele
Depends what you want to do really mine cost £300 and add 2 cheep leasure batteries so add another 200 for those. Ideal for the canal cruise costs next to nothing to run but I wouldn't want to have to rely on it and I think it would struggle in currents and headwinds.
Old 23 February 2019, 11:24   #10

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 140hp
not cheap but we prefer the Epropulsion engines. full spec by follwing the link https://epropulsion.uk/product/epropulsion-spirit-1-0/
Old 22 March 2019, 08:41   #11

Town: South Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonmarine View Post
not cheap but we prefer the Epropulsion engines. full spec by follwing the link https://epropulsion.uk/product/epropulsion-spirit-1-0/
I'm also an owner of an Epropulsion, and am very happy with it. Considered both the Torqeedo & Eprop, but in every aspect, I felt the eProp was a superior product - construction seems more robust, the battery floats, only 1 cable, splits into 2 easy to carry parts and MUCH quieter. Also far less lag in the throttle. Bought the unit from Nestaway Portable Boats, who offer both Torqeedo and ePropulsion, so if you can get to them, you'll be able to compare & contrast yourself. I think it is telling that Torqeedo's new 1.1kW design is now copying the eProp technology, so is now likely to be a more similar level of performance & quietness, though is still quite a bit more expensive.

Hope that helps!
Old 23 March 2019, 07:38   #12

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
As you will have seen to get anything with any oomph at the mo it costs about 4 - 5 times as much as a small petrol outboard
Old 23 March 2019, 14:50   #13

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
As you will have seen to get anything with any oomph at the mo it costs about 4 - 5 times as much as a small petrol outboard
They’re very different beasts, we use either of two small outboards to run our tender - 3.5 tohatsu or a 1003 torqeedo. If the planned destination involves a lot of tender use we bring the petrol, otherwise it’s the electric - but I’ve got to admit the torqeedo covers most situations and is used 95% of the time over the petrol
Old 26 March 2019, 14:52   #14

Town: South Wales
Indeed - petrol & electric are two different beasts, and each has their place. Until battery technology improves in terms of energy density, speed of recharge and cost, petrol will still outperform where higher speed and/or long distances are concerned, but if flat out speed and very high range are not your top concerns, electric is now a VERY credible option, especially once ongoing "per mile" costs, servicing (or lack thereof) and reliability are factored in.
Old 28 March 2019, 09:14   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
might interest some klick on electric outboard

https://www.goldenmotor.com/?gclid=C...AaAkn_EALw_wcB

Tags
outboard