Old 22 December 2010, 01:22   #1

Town: Western Mass
Boat name: Typhoon
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 hp Yamaha
Electric Bilge Pump?

I have a 4.6 Avon Typhoon. As I have had two shoulder surgeries and find the manual bilge pump straining on my shoulders I am toying with the idea of putting in an electric bilge pump. I see attaching it to the transom below the rear floor board. I would then mount a battery to the transom above the floor board. Any thoughts on whether this would work or otherwise be ill-advised.
Thanks, Dennis
Old 23 December 2010, 08:59   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Can't see why it wouldn't work, a trunk would work also though.
Old 23 December 2010, 10:17   #3
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
bee cairful, verry cairful.

givvin advise too a loyer iz frawt wiv dainger. espeshully a yankey loyer

aforr yew noe itt ther wil bee a tawt akshun agaynst yew fromm evvry yannk nobbur dats fittid a bilje pummp.

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2010, 11:33   #4

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Cancel my last.
Old 23 December 2010, 19:24   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Don't know how your boat is laid out, but it should work. I assume you have no battery on-board now? You'll also have to figure out a way to charge the battery, which may mean plumbing your engine to charge it (though if it's just the bilge pump, then charging at home should work as well, but you have to keep it topped up or you'll be buying a lot of batteries.)

How about looking at one of the lever type manual pumps, rather than a piston type (assuming you're using the piston type)? Something like:

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=74208F

Another option is to find an electric pump with a decent suction head, and you'd just have to run the pickup hose through the floor, and mount everything else above deck. Don't know if that's a realistic spec or not, though.

Luck;

jky
Old 05 January 2011, 02:22   #6

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to skip the electric bilge idea. Keep the boat simple, no batteries. I have told my younger, stronger scuba buddy that it is now his sole responsibility to keep water out of the boat.
Old 05 January 2011, 15:31   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbiscuitboy View Post
I have told my younger, stronger scuba buddy that it is now his sole responsibility to keep water out of the boat.
Sounds about right. Anyone else who happens to be diving off my boat is named "Windlass."

jky
Old 06 January 2011, 15:58   #8

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
If its only a small amount of water that your trying to remove have you thought about using one of those cheap syphon type pumps used for fish tanks the ones that have a bulb you squeeze with your hand ,or using an old outboard fuel pipe and bulb.

i have also seen a small water foot pump used in one boat,the type used in camper/caravans that are used for pumping drinking water up to sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	footpump.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	56334  
Old 13 January 2011, 17:31   #9

Town: mexico
Make: avon
Engine: 15 hp mariner 2 s
electric bilge pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbiscuitboy View Post
I have a 4.6 Avon Typhoon. As I have had two shoulder surgeries and find the manual bilge pump straining on my shoulders I am toying with the idea of putting in an electric bilge pump. I see attaching it to the transom below the rear floor board. I would then mount a battery to the transom above the floor board. Any thoughts on whether this would work or otherwise be ill-advised.
Thanks, Dennis
I use an rule 500 gph on my avon s-400 it works very well i recomend to you i will send you some pics how to install

Cheers
Old 19 January 2011, 18:54   #10

Town: Quebec city
Make: Zodiac hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha
bilge pump

There is no problem at all to install a bilge pump in a SIB, in fact its a great idea (especially if pumping the bilge by hand gives you a hard time)

Have a look at the pictures, this installation was in a Milpro application in a RIB but it gives a good idea how it works. Most of the recent bilge pump has a built-in float switch so you just have to install the pump.

Like you can see on the picture, the blue plastic strainer (lower part of the pump) is removable, so by fixing it to the floor/bilge/transom/whereucan you'll just have to "click" the pump in place.

Electricty is quite easy too. If you have no electricity on board, you can use a small motorcycle 12 volts batterie inside a waterproof box (any electrical store have this) and put a breaker on the hot wire. For the switch, you have the choice between ON/OFF or ON/OFF/AUTO. On the 3 pos switch, you can put it auto so it primes when the float tells it to or manually overrun by putting it at ON. A good bilge pump should be self-priming and run-dry protected. In a previous project, we've installed the switch directly to the battery box, flush mount.

For the plumbing, you need hoses+scissors+tie-wrap. The bottom of the pump is the intake and you just have to run the hose overboard and thats it.

It is that easy!

Ok according to your lawyer profession you know that even an email advice has to be paid since it is a professionnal act, so how do you intend to pay me for my precious advices?

educhesne@blyacht.com
achille2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2011, 23:14   #11

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Quote:
Ok according to your lawyer profession you know that even an email advice has to be paid since it is a professionnal act, so how do you intend to pay me for my precious advices?
Careful, he could pay you $100 for your advice.....and then sue you for $100,000 if it goes tits up. ;-)

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2011, 01:34   #12

achille2124

Beautiful pic's and well executed design. I may reconsider my earlier decision to have my younger scuba buddy be responsible for any water in the boat and put in an electric system.
Now as far as payment is concerned if you happen down to Massachusetts this summer give me a pm and perhaps we could take my electric boat out and scare up some lobsters.
Thanks, Dennis

p.s. I should have known better than to list my occupation. I am going to change it to competitive spearfisherman.
Old 11 February 2011, 06:32   #13

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
with a lawyer involved i feel it my duty to reiterate that the pics show a hard bottom to the boat - hence not SIB at all but a RIB, despite what you may read on the descriptions on Fleabay, by definition a RIB mush have a solid one piece floor
Old 11 February 2011, 13:18   #14

Town: Quebec city
Make: Zodiac hurricane
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
with a lawyer involved i feel it my duty to reiterate that the pics show a hard bottom to the boat - hence not SIB at all but a RIB, despite what you may read on the descriptions on Fleabay, by definition a RIB mush have a solid one piece floor
You're right...
Damn you people are really picky over here!
educhesne@blyacht.com
achille2124 is offline   Reply With Quote