Old 31 July 2013, 13:03   #1

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
DIY SIB improvements ?

I confess...I love all small boats.. SIBS in particular ..of which I have three..all different sizes and they all get used regularly.

If the weather is too rough to put to sea, I will happily spent my free boating time, pottering around making things to improve them and make my life easier. Some work, some dont, some look pretty and other look damned ugly but I sure have fun making them.

The best improvement that I have made to my small SIBS is a spray dodger that works. They keep my boating experiences much drier and more comfortable. I make them from scraps that cost me nothing as I had the materials already to hand. I had an old plastic tarpaulin kicking arond the shed that cut up easily and was also easy to sew the odd seam in. For the rear edge support which holds the shape ..I used a flexable stringer from an old kite and have also, in the past, used a broken piece off a rod that electricians use to install cables in small conduits. Anything will do as long as its flexable but reasonably strong.

Here are some photos of the smallest boat in my fleet.. with the DIY spray dodger .. and I wouldn't dream of going to sea now without it :-D

It takes thiry seconds to clip onto the boat and utilises fitting that were already glued to the SIB by the munufacturer.

Does anyone else make DIY improvements to their SIBS ? And if so.. care to share the ideas ?

I have a few more DIY ideas if there is any interest ...

Old 31 July 2013, 13:28   #2

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
That is pretty impressive.

It looks like it is supposed to be there and l am sure will be a useful addition to the boat.

Old 31 July 2013, 13:55   #3

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I confess...I love all small boats.. SIBS in particular ..of which I have three..all different sizes and they all get used regularly.

If the weather is too rough to put to sea, I will happily spent my free boating time, pottering around making things to improve them and make my life easier. Some work, some dont, some look pretty and other look damned ugly but I sure have fun making them.

The best improvement that I have made to my small SIBS is a spray dodger that works. They keep my boating experiences much drier and more comfortable. I make them from scraps that cost me nothing as I had the materials already to hand. I had an old plastic tarpaulin kicking arond the shed that cut up easily and was also easy to sew the odd seam in. For the rear edge support which holds the shape ..I used a flexable stringer from an old kite and have also, in the past, used a broken piece off a rod that electricians use to install cables in small conduits. Anything will do as long as its flexable but reasonably strong.

Here are some photos of the smallest boat in my fleet.. with the DIY spray dodger .. and I wouldn't dream of going to sea now without it :-D

It takes thiry seconds to clip onto the boat and utilises fitting that were already glued to the SIB by the munufacturer.

Does anyone else make DIY improvements to their SIBS ? And if so.. care to share the ideas ?

I have a few more DIY ideas if there is any interest ...
Hi gurnard I've just bought the same little boat, Avon redcrest can you tell me what size of engine you use on it,the spray cover looks great !! Think I'll have a go & make one myself
Old 31 July 2013, 14:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadd View Post
can you tell me what size of engine you use on it,

That is an easy one to answer hadd ..2hp ..anything bigger just twists the motor attachment into the rubber round tail.. you need a wooden transome if you want a bigger engine..however I love puttering around with the 2hp ..trolling a mackerel spinner behind me.

Although I go to sea in this one.. as soon as the waves start to show signs of breaking..im heading for land as fast as my 2hp will go :-D

It rows well too.. just as well as I normally like a back up engine when at sea ..which is not possible in this round tail.

Thanks for your kind comment too lightning ..its appreciated
Old 31 July 2013, 16:24   #5

Town: belfast
Boat name: portnahaven
Make: Red Bay Boats
Length: 7m +
Engine: yamaha 245hp diesel
MMSI: 235089641
Excellent dodger. Looks very professonal.
Will have to have a good root around the garage.
Old 01 August 2013, 06:18   #6

Thanks for commenting Portnahaven. For me ..the real beauty of DIY "improvements" are they dont cost much.

Here is a photo of another little project that makes my life easier on the smaller size SIBS. Its just a wooden plank as a seat. I find the original seat position a bit too low for me. The plank sits on top of the tubes and give an extra two inches of height for my long legs. To pad my posterior ..I fixed two "kneeling pads" to my seat area. They are available from garden centres and very much cheeper than seat cushions from yacht shops. They dont seem to rot in the marine environment and dont absorb any water.. but are quite a comfortable support for my boney buttocks.

On the ends of the plank, I made two wooden boxes without lids. They are a good fit for two tupperware lunch boxes which have tight waterproof seals on their lids. I keep my tools..camera.. car keys.. small hand flares etc in these boxes so they are always to hand. The boxes also help to deflect any waves that try to get over the tube sides from running along the plank and wetting my seat.

This spray dodger is a bit bigger than the one on my Avon..so I back stay it too. I can keep relatively dry in this setup

Next..I will show how I have developed a means for me.. an old, seven stone weaking.. to carry my 52kg 25hp 2 stroke engine from car boot to boat ..without giving myself a hernia.

Thanks to all for looking...Im still hoping some of you will share your DIY ideas too
Old 01 August 2013, 06:26   #7

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Some great pics with your ideas and improvements there Gurnard

Keep them coming
Old 01 August 2013, 08:44   #8

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson 25
Can't wait to see this invention for carrying the big outboard. Both your ideas look really professional.
Old 01 August 2013, 08:59   #9

Town: Kyles of Bute
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Nice mods.How is the seat attached? Did you use the original plastic fittings or some other mod?I need to make a seat for my 4.2 Sea Search.
Old 01 August 2013, 14:21   #10

kerny ...You keep watching ..and I will keep em coming

rossymtb ..you will kick yourself when I show how I do it.. its a very simple solution.. in fact ..so simple..most folks dont think of doing it this way....until the penny drops that they may have been doing it the wrong way for years .. I will reveal all soon...

perroboy ..you are in luck ..because.. like you I needed another seat for my latest aquisition..a 4.3m quicksilver SIB

I was horrified when I found the price a dealer wanted for a new one. So I made my own for a fraction of the cost.

In fact..I consider mine better as it is wider so that larger posteriors can fit without their blubber sagging off the sides of a narrower plank

The quicksilver SIB has a strap attached to the top inside of the tubes. The original seat has an angled plastic "flange" that slots under the strap and when the tubes are fully inflated..the seat is firmly attached to the boat.

I dont have any plastic flange in my shed..but I did have four steel angle brackets. I put the same angle in the steel brackets as was in the plastic flange.

Now that my steel brackets are attached to a pine shelving board (cost me 7 squids) the home made seat is also held firmly in place in my boat.

Once made..I primered then painted the wood and the brackets because steel will rust if left exposed. I then bound the brackets with a rubber sticky backed tape to pad them and help stop wear and tear to the tubes. The brackets are also fixed so they rest on the tube "pads" that holds the strap to the tubes..so even if over time..there is a little wear..the tubes wont get it..if that makes sense.

Ok ..i realise after a couple of seasons use..the steel may rust through the rubber tape and paint..and I will need to renew them ..but its still cheaper than buying stainless steel brackets.

If anyone has the plastic flanges and want to donate them to me..I will gladly swap the steel ones over..but I think that highly unlikely... ?

I finished my new seat off by mounting my fishing rod holders onto the edge. I knew it would be a problem trying to fix them to the tubes ..so the seat is perfet for the screws that hold the rod holders that will hold my next salmon to the boat until I get time to reel him in.

I will get some more kneeling pads from the garden centre too..just to pad the seating positions as seen in my little SIB photo.

The reason I started this thread.. is .. Im also making some fish box furniture to deck out the floor of my new aquisition..and wondered what others did to theirs ?

Keep watching if you want to see what fishbox furniture is... thanks for staying with me this far.