Old 18 August 2011, 14:44   #11

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
I am a fan of the ali floor.

I had the air floor model and didnt like the floor as for me it wasnt firm enough and did flex a bit when at speed.

Upgraded to a 3.8 meter ali floor model and I setup and pack dow and can launch recover on my own with launch wheels and i think the ali floor model is alot more stable and provides a much better deck. Imagine realing in a big fish whilst standing on a bouncy castle. (Bit of exageration but you get what i mean)

Good luck with the SIB search.

Old 20 August 2011, 08:23   #12

Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15hp
Aero Deck gets my vote - much lighter than a solid floor which is great when you launch the boat and it is also easier if you need to pack the boat away.

Keith (look what I've just found (()) ) Hart

PS. It's a very old joke that some 'older' members of the forum may appreciate.

www.photo4x4.co.uk
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 12:10   #13

Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
I have a honwave t40 with alloy floor and 40hp tohatsu for sale in the ribs for sale fella.2011 boat 2006 motor.?
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 15:12   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Welcome back Keith (where have you been hiding?) Hart!
Old 21 August 2011, 16:00   #15

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
For short day trip jaunts with minimal gear, the airdeck makes sense. If you plan on loading the SIB with awkward gear for longer outings, a hard deck is far better. If you know a couple of little tricks, a hard deck should only add 2 minutes of assembly time when alone, and 1 minute if with someone else. It will take up more space in a vehicle when folded however.

Also make sure you get launching wheels and a 12V (or 24v depending on your vehicle) electric air pump regardless of which way you go. This will allow you to quickly assemble the boat right beside your vehicle, then roll the assembled boat to the shoreline.
Old 22 August 2011, 13:32   #16

I have the honwave t40 ali deck, only takes 20mins to set up. the worst part is packing it back up as I like to put it away clean and dry but I suppose a airfloor would be the same if you wanted to look after it. ali floor all the way for me, piece of mind knowing my friends are not going to burst it.
Old 23 August 2011, 09:18   #17

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Also don't discount a quality marine plywoood wood floor either. A wood floor can have some advantages over an aluminum floor. If you initially treat the wood floor with some high end marine epoxy (such as West System's 123) and reapply it every few years, it will last at least as long as the aluminum. Advantages of wood floor boards include;

A) Wood floor boards are much easier to modify with anchor points and such.

B) Wood floor boards are less expensive and can be quickly replaced by a local woodworker. Replacement aluminum boards could be on backorder for who knows how long.

C) You can easily make up additional wood floor boards that have different anchorage configurations suited to how you plan to use the boat on any particular outing.
Old 23 August 2011, 12:52   #18

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Mr Boops
Make: HONWAVE
Engine: 18Hp Tohatsu 2stroke
Honwave T35 Alu floor keep it pumped up you only need a pissy little trailer,no winch needed, launch and retrieve dead easy very stable on the water no flexing.
I made a trailer out of unistrut(pics on here somewhere), so light i can put trailer on its side out of the way on a slip much better than building it all up and breaking it down every time.
Towing wise you dont even know you have anything on the back of the car.
The aero decks seem twitchy but better/deeper v hull so maybe handle better on flat seas but the bigger they are maybe thats when they flex a bit?
Old 23 August 2011, 21:52   #19

My 2011 Achilles LSI 365 has a looong air floor but when I got it last week I was surprised to feel something solid under my feet in 2 sections. There are (and they don't advertise this) two epoxy coated marine plywood sections (one is about 20" and the other about 10" under the air floor that are attached to the bottom with straps and fold nicely with the boat. Kind of a hybrid wood slat plus aerodeck floor. Only been out once but it was brilliant underway.
Old 24 August 2011, 03:07   #20

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
The air floor has many advantages but if you don't need to dismantle then I would go solid. Even the air floor is a pain to inflate/deflates, fold up, take home, re-inflate to clean, pack away again...

I got fed up with all this and now leave it fully inflated all the time and pop it on the roof of the Land Rover for use (I really dislike using a trailer) - so much simpler and ready in seconds - store inflated in the garage and just dismantle for the winter. Best solution if you can store it somewhere.