Old 22 September 2015, 10:48   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Ridgewoodwoody,

If there was a perfect "faff free", affordably, comfortable, reliable boat then everyone would do it. I don't think it has anything to do with your "age", I spent much of the last weekend reliving a youth of dinghy sailing and camping and remembering that whist there are fun bits there's also an awful lot of time wasted on putting stuff together and taking it apart (and then cleaning it when you get back) etc.

Whilst out small "RIB" doesn't get as much use as it could it sits on its trailer ready to use at short notice. With a bit of improvement to my launch and recovery process / equipment it could be as faff free as possible. SIBs have some advantages (storage, no towing, launch almost anywhere) etc - but I don't know anyone who has put a SIB on a trailer and regretted it.
Old 22 September 2015, 11:21   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewoodwoody View Post
I realise this may seem a rather dumb question but, please, bear with.
Recently retired, we bought a Brig Dingo 330 and Yamaha F6 outboard at last year"s Southampton Boat Show believing that we would get great use of it on holidays and maybe on the Broads and Thames in this country - we live in Sussex. However, despite adding several accessories our use of it, unfortunately has not worked out quite as we envisaged - we have been out in in twice for a total of about two hours including a very uncomfortable ride across the Sneekermeer in Holland this June. In short I'm not sure when and where we are going to use such a small boat. The time it takes to inflate and prepare and then deflate has discouraged us from possible day trips and I realise we should have thought of this before, but there we are. But before we try and sell it - another question would be how and where - my question is: are we missing something in terms of how and where we might use it that would reignite our enthusiasm and ability to get more from it.
Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I know exactly what your saying . But I am still looking for my setup.

I am looking for about the same but again putting it up and taking it down again hardly seems worth the time in it. Think it is an age thing..

The answer has to be keep it inflated in a boat yard or club and then use it when you can .If you can find a good reason to use it..

If you could just jump in it and go it would be a lot better.

If your still not getting the use of it then either decide shall I carry on or find something else to do..

AS for use no idea Mine would be to do a little fishing. But placed on a trailer.for ease of launching.

Old 22 September 2015, 11:24   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Engine: 115 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewoodwoody View Post
Thanks, folk. Points to ponder there. I guess the true test would be if we sold it would we miss it? And we hate the thought that as we grow ever older we are adding to the list of things we give up on.
Doing it my self everyday and running out of options very fast..
But still do not fancy just sitting in a rocking chair yet..
Old 22 September 2015, 12:38   #14

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I feel your pain. My wife and I bought a sailing dinghy, seldom found time to use it, and found it stressful every time we did, then we lost a few hundred when we sold it.

Maybe you're not using this boat right. Seriously, when I used to use my boat a lot on my own, I found getting a 3 hp "egg whisk" instead of using the heavy 9.9 wth a separate tank made every trip easier.

Do you need the engine you have with a slatted floor? Boats with slatted floors tend to caterpillar across the water anyway. Two thoughts: get the smallest lightest engine that will push the boat, or get a faster more exciting boat. Personally, I tend to go for small and light.

You commented on the padded seats. Most people sit on the tubes rather than the seats.

My 10 with plywood floors and a 9.9 goes from car to water in about 30 minutes and from water to car in slightly less. The more times you do it without any pressure on yourself, the quicker and easier it gets. Have you practised on the back lawn?

The electric pump should take some of the grind out of assembling the boat, but probably doesn't save much time.

Look for places to launch. Try Boatlaunch.co.uk Home Page and search. Look for inland marinas, winding stretches of river, canals, waterside pubs. Combine the boating with a picnic or a stop at a pub or café. A destination or a natural half way point makes every trip better.

Do you have an anchor? Some of my happiest memories of boating are riding at anchor in a quiet backwater, reading, eating a picnic, or even having a swim. Make the boat part of the day's activity, rather than an end in itself, because, to be honest, chugging along in a boat for hours on end can be tiring and dull.

Do you own a canoe or kayak? A small inflatable will tow one of these, giving you more options for things to do during the day. You can even buy good quality inflatable kayaks and canoes easily for a couple of hundred quid.

Learn some proper knots and take a pride in knowing how to anchor or moor the boat and how to secure items on board "the proper sailor's way". Give the boat a name, and get a flag - treat it as a real vessel, not just a thing.

Most of all, it's meant to be fun, not a drudge.

Enjoy.
Old 22 September 2015, 15:18   #15

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I have recently been using my RIB out in the Alde/Ore near Aldeburgh in East Anglia. LOads of inland water there and can be very sheltered depending where you go and the wind direction.

A few weekends ago a group were camping and waterskiing on the Ore downstream of Orford on the shingle bank and apparently the Ore has some great Sae Bass at the moment.

As someone has said the broads would be a great place and you don't need to go far to make it an adventure.

Boating is a way of life and for every hour I am on the water I must spend 5 cleaning, servicing and generally tinkering etc. Its just part of the plot.

Dave J
Old 22 September 2015, 16:19   #16
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
The electric pump should take some of the grind out of assembling the boat, but probably doesn't save much time.
An electric pump with an automatic pressure select make a huge difference! While the SIB inflates you can do all the other stuff. Car to water in 15 mins!
Old 22 September 2015, 16:20   #17
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
Boating is a way of life and for every hour I am on the water I must spend 5 cleaning, servicing and generally tinkering etc. Its just part of the plot.

Dave J
You can sing the words and I'll hum the melody, dude!
Old 22 September 2015, 16:23   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
While the SIB inflates you can do other stuff.
Like, insert 'Brig' into Ribnet Search and have a read.
Old 22 September 2015, 16:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I never regard all this effort getting on the water as a chore because every outing is worth the trouble. Add to that boating every day for two weeks a year in Scotland and it's all positive.
Taking boat away and only aiming to use 1 or 2 days out of 7, picking the weather window. Leaving it inflated for the week so you can jump in any time if the Wx is good (it occasionally happens), but have other activities lined up if the Wx is cr@p.

Quote:
For example where we mostly go there's parking, toilets & wash facilities, two cafes, pub, a chandlers, hard slipway, pontoon all located in a sheltered area then you can motor out to the cruising area to face as much or little in the way of sea state as you are comfortable with.
Ideally with something that makes the trip out a goal thats worth the pain. A trip on a boat is actually rather like the last or the one before that. Get somewhere you can't normally walk / drive to and suddenly you are in a unique club of a very small number of people to ever see that rock formation, waterfall, dolphin, seal, porpoise, lighthouse, view etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
An electric pump with an automatic pressure select make a huge difference! While the SIB inflates you can do all the other stuff. Car to water in 15 mins!
And make sure it can deflate too.

If you are doing 7 days with it inflated, don't leave deflating till the moment you are packing up to go. Likewise don't do it the night you come ashore from a big trip and are tired.
Old 23 September 2015, 01:48   #20

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
I am newish to sibbing and in truth I have probably had more sibs and outboards than days out, as I fafed around finding the right combo for me, ( which for me was as big as you could get with the lowest weight), compared to days out in Devon boating on the south coast can be a little dull, not really any islands or anything to ride out to and usually a killer chop on the water, if you look at some of the photos other members post from Scotland and up north it can make you well jealous, anyway to learn a bit of boat craft and to have a day out I joined the shoreham harbour club, which has a concrete slip sandy beach and is really easy to launch from, then you can go up river if it's to choppy for the sea, and get a pint and a p#ss when you get back, the important thing is getting out on the water having some fun, to be honest I treat the south coast as a place to practice so when I go on Hoilday to somewhere nice, my boat is all set up, I'm well practiced in assembling and disassembling, can launch and land like a pro, good luck,