Old 26 July 2011, 10:48   #1

Make: Tohatsu
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20
Crossing the solent on a SIB

So far my sibbing has been on tidal rivers and close coastal waters, but I am looking for something a bit more adventurous- such as crossing the solent. Does anyone have any tips such as launching places, routes, kit etc? I am a great believer in the 'if you have any doubt, don't go out' approach to the weather but other people's experience is always useful. I have a 4.2 m sib with a 20hp engine.

Cheers

MT
Old 26 July 2011, 11:00   #2

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Pick your weather and you'll be fine. Longest crossing from Hamble / Cowes, or all the way down Southampton water. Calshot is also a good launch place, and shortest (but busiest for other traffic) is Portsmouth / Ryde. Lymington / Yarmouth perfectly doable too.

Bear in mind the Solent has a short, steep chop when wind is against tide in windy conditions.

If you launch from Hamble or Calshot, you have the option of playing up the Hamble river or Southampton Water if you think it's too rough when you poke your nose out of Calshot spit!

Often see board paddlers crossing, so a well founded sib shouldn't be a problem. Just stick to discretion being the better part of valour!
Old 26 July 2011, 11:01   #3

Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: 40hp
no problem in the correct weather... I have sailed small dinghies in the solent - weather is all!

In the right conditions I would happily take a 4.2m across - why not do it the first time with someone else in a bigger boat to reduce concerns...

Alasdair
Old 26 July 2011, 12:02   #4

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Engine: 50hp e-tec
I cross all the time in my 4m rib. Used to take my 380 sib out from Lee on Solent to the folly now and then as well - though as the others indicate the sib was pretty slappy if the waves got up. Pick a nice day and you'll have a lovely time, on a choppy day you'll have a safe albeit lumpy crossing. Beware if you head over to Ryde- the sand sticks out a long way and dries which could easily leave you stranded
Old 27 July 2011, 20:03   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I've done it in a 3.1m Avon SIB/10hp from Bucklers Hard, down the Beaulieu River and across to Cowes. Easy job.
Old 03 August 2011, 19:54   #6
CJS

Town: Warsash
Make: Honwave T 3.8 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20 HP
Hi there

4.2m with 20HP should be no problem providing your engine and boat are in good service.

It really is a confidence thing, the first time I went out to the Isle of Wight I had no idea what the boat could do. It felt like a mini expedition - now I hardly blink an eyelid in zig zagging across the Solent several times in one day.

I live in Warsash and I have a Honwave 3.8m with 20 HP and on a good day I have been from Hamble down to The Needles and back. On Sunday I went to Yarmouth and it was really choppy which is more uncomfortable than unsafe but it can easily be done - apart from the compressed spine that is!

A great trip I did yesterday was from Warsash to the beaches on the other side of Ryde followed by some fishing off the Martello Towers then back. The water was flat and was the best SIBBING conditions this summer.

Today I went from Poole Harbour around Old Harry, Durleston Head and back via Bournemouth then around Brown Sea Island with no problems.

A couple of notable trips last year - I took the boat from Poole Harbour to Kimmeridge and have SIBBED in 10 - 12 Knot tidal races off Ramsey Island in South Wales and the boat handled perfectly with 3 up. These SIBBS are resilient little craft and remarkably versatile and I am hooked on them.

If your down Warsash/ Hamble way let me know and perhaps we could meet up.
Old 03 August 2011, 20:47   #7
CJS

Town: Warsash
Make: Honwave T 3.8 ie
Engine: Honda 20 HP
Two clips of mine

Old 09 April 2016, 16:07   #8

Town: Fulham
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Sounds good, thank you. I am planning to launch from the beach in Gosport to Ryde Harbour at high tide.