Old 01 January 2013, 19:02   #1

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Cooper Anchor

I'm interested in the Cooper Anchor and was looking for more info when I came across a warning on a website implying that there is a non official website also trading this anchor. I'm pretty sure that this website is the UK version of Cooper Anchors international website.

Searching further but ignoring the original warning, I found a Ribnet trade member and followed their link expecting to end up at the original site. However I did not, instead finding myself on a site with the same videos and technical info, but not branded as per the original or international website.

Now this of course could be different branding and out of date links, but I am a bit concerned as I would like to get more info on the anchor with a view to ordering and find one website selling the anchor at £32.50 whilst the ribnet linked one offering it at £60.

Does anyone have any info as to which one is the genuine official site? I wonder if there was an original uk distributer and now Cooper Anchors are now themselves selling direct.

Also, does anyone have any info on use of this anchor in southern UK waters? I have found a couple of reviews saying that it is good in sand and mud and plenty of references to other good reviews, but I can find nothing other than the odd one or two which don't really seem to have put the anchor fully to the test, let alone in uk waters.
Old 01 January 2013, 19:27   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
This may be of interest: Linky
Old 01 January 2013, 19:41   #3

Thanks. I had seen that as it was those posts that made me aware of the Cooper Anchor.

However, we have 2 Cooper Anchors on the forum (Cooper Anchors and Coopers Anchors UK), the latter one at least a year old and listed in the ribnet trade directory and the one you linked to registered just a few months back. I have sent email to 'official' website and so far had no response. It may just be Christmas and new year delay, or it may be signs of difficulty.

I'm just trying to find people who have actually had dealings with one or the other of these two sites and also be able to provide feedback on anchor in uk waters.
Old 01 January 2013, 19:54   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I can't help you with that - other than to say that I wouldn't place too much importance on who is or isn't registered on RIBnet.

However, I can say that a small bruce anchor and a bit of chain will do a fine job for you at minimal cost. I keep mine in a cordura bag on an airfloor and I've had no trouble with it bouncing around in the bow. It sets quickly and can be used with a trip line on rocky ground. You asked about scope somewhere - I keep around 100m of line (and it is just that - line) on the SIB. Mind you, I can be in over 30m of water, so no harm.
Old 01 January 2013, 20:01   #5

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
They're getting excited about Cooper anchors on the PWC forum as they're marketed specifically at jet skiers. I don't know anything about them or their website but I'm sticking with my CQR for my rib and my little grapnel for my ski.
Old 01 January 2013, 20:05   #6

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
personally can't see passed my delta with 10m of 10mm chain and 50m of rope plus other extentions if needed. Touch wood it has held me in all sorts just as well as the bruce and that other over-priced piece of metal CQR.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2013, 11:06   #7

Larry from Cooper Anchors has emailed me today and has been very helpful and as a result I have ordered a Cooper Anchor for my 3.6m inflatable.

Just incase other people come across the unofficial website, its worth using the official website as the anchor is considerably cheaper at £32.50 plus small paypal fx payment fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper Anchors
Our only international web site is www.cooperanchors.com and our Australian web site is www.cooperanchors.com.au the other web site has used our information without our permission and has nothing to do with us.
Old 08 January 2013, 17:00   #8

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
The Oz Shop: Home

One day your life will flash in front of your eyes...Make sure it's worth watching!
Paul Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2013, 17:25   #9

I bought mine direct from Cooper Anchors for less (regular price of £32.50 plus about £1.40 paypal fx fees vs a special offer price of £35) than the Oz shop. Just received it today.

Initial thoughts are that's its bigger, heavier and less flexible than expected but still smaller (not than a grapnel), lighter and more flexible than most other anchors.

Not convinced about it being inflatable friendly - its still got a sharp point that I think would pierce the floor if trodden on (I've got a suggestion for Larry Cooper about that), but its unlikely to cause personal injury if you catch it accidentally nor pierce a tube on recovery.

Its an interesting product which has used modern material technology to improve the performance of a more traditional shaped anchor (its similar in shapeto a plough anchor) allowing a smaller, lighter and apparently better performing anchor.

I'm going to be down Littlehampton part of this weekend and might see if the tides are favourable so I can rig up a line and run a basic static line test in the Arun mud to see how quickly it sets and how well it holds.
Old 08 January 2013, 18:17   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Searching further but ignoring the original warning, I found a Ribnet trade member
In the interests of pedantry - he is not a "Trade Member" (which costs £100 / yr and allows him to post appropriate promotional messages on the forums). That link is to the trade directory which is now quite out of date, but is just a long list of suppliers etc. Whilst it may be useful for finding people the people listed are NOT endorsed or recommended by Ribnet etc.
Old 20 January 2013, 08:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
I'm going to be down Littlehampton part of this weekend and might see if the tides are favourable so I can rig up a line and run a basic static line test in the Arun mud to see how quickly it sets and how well it holds
I want to gauge opinion on whether this test is flawed.

In the photo, standing on side of the ramp, toss off side the anchor with chain and line attached into the drying mud. Then pull line towards you. Distance of toss, about 5-7m, about 7:1 - 4:1 scope.

Would you expect an anchor (any anchor) to set/bite within 5m on this?

Second test, in photo bottom of ramp is under water. Assuming that it too is drying not covered in water. Scope is even more. Again, would you expect an anchor to set/bite in this condition.

Or, unless you are in boat and mud is covered with water presumably making it less dense and you have far more than 5m for anchor to set, is this test flawed? NB I have seen anchor testing performed in similar manner but these were bigger anchors and thus heavier so more likely to penetrate mud/sand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	75707  
Old 20 January 2013, 09:21   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Ian - in my experience sometimes an anchor sets immediately and sometimes it has to drag through the mud for a little while (a meter or two would not be unusual in sticky mud). Would have thought you would be better testing it in "real" conditions. I recall trying to "throw" an anchor once a bit like you describe - and I found an anchor plus chain makes a bad projectile for throwing, either you end up with chain round the anchor fouling it OR you the chain is heavier and pulls the anchor down 'short'.