Old 20 January 2013, 03:55   #11
Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
I'm going to be down Littlehampton part of this weekend and might see if the tides are favourable so I can rig up a line and run a basic static line test in the Arun mud to see how quickly it sets and how well it holds
I want to gauge opinion on whether this test is flawed.

In the photo, standing on side of the ramp, toss off side the anchor with chain and line attached into the drying mud. Then pull line towards you. Distance of toss, about 5-7m, about 7:1 - 4:1 scope.

Would you expect an anchor (any anchor) to set/bite within 5m on this?

Second test, in photo bottom of ramp is under water. Assuming that it too is drying not covered in water. Scope is even more. Again, would you expect an anchor to set/bite in this condition.

Or, unless you are in boat and mud is covered with water presumably making it less dense and you have far more than 5m for anchor to set, is this test flawed? NB I have seen anchor testing performed in similar manner but these were bigger anchors and thus heavier so more likely to penetrate mud/sand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	75707  

IanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 04:21   #12
RIBnet admin team
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Ian - in my experience sometimes an anchor sets immediately and sometimes it has to drag through the mud for a little while (a meter or two would not be unusual in sticky mud). Would have thought you would be better testing it in "real" conditions. I recall trying to "throw" an anchor once a bit like you describe - and I found an anchor plus chain makes a bad projectile for throwing, either you end up with chain round the anchor fouling it OR you the chain is heavier and pulls the anchor down 'short'.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote