Old 05 May 2009, 11:59   #1

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Console Extension for Zodiac Futura

Hi All

As I mentioned in another thread, I have been busy readying our Futura MkIII for another summer's serious fishing.

One of the changes that I have made is to the Futura's steering console. For some reason, Zodiac saw fit to leave a gaping hole in the original. To be honest it never looked finished to me, served no useful purpose, and IMO generally detracted from the looks of the boat.

The missing section is just visible in this old photo.

The ideal opportunity to address this issue arose when planning to fit a new fixed DSC VHF to the boat. As things stood, there was no suitable place to fit it.

To cut a very long story short, I took a fibreglass mould from the original console and constructed a blanking off section to fill the 'missing console', this would allow me (mm's to spare) to flush fit the new VHF. The biggest hurdle was in clearing the steering gear, inside the console.

It's of a glass fibre construction, about 3/4 of an inch thick, and bolted all the way around the original aperture.

Over the bank holiday weekend we made a couple of trips out, both in fairly rough conditions (Monday especially so!) and it hasn't fallen off....yet, despite a sound thrashing.

A new aerial / camera mast has now been fitted. This is an carbon extending pole (originally designed for some Carp fishing application) that has now been adapted to perform it's new job. The extending capabilities of the pole (twist to lock) are ideal in that the aerial height can be raised to around 8ft above the deck. Figuring, the higher the aerial, the better the range.

Roll on the giant giant Stingrays, Tope and Bass!!!

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2009, 19:48   #2

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
My missus isn't going to be happy if you keep posting pictures of your boat.
Everytime I see it I try and come up with ways I could afford a nice shiney zodiac with console steering and a hd camera.
It takes me a day to remeber I am lucky to have what I have got.
When are you out for your first fishing foray?
Geoff
Old 05 May 2009, 20:46   #3

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
geoff i know how you feel,what id give for a longer sib,lol
Old 06 May 2009, 11:53   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Nice looking boat, and good job with the console. What's on the back - 40hp or 50hp? Looks like a de-badged Mariner?
Old 06 May 2009, 13:52   #5

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
That must be the most fully accessorized SIB I've seen, nice work!

The only additional thing I can think of is a speargun on a tripod mounted to the bow.
Old 08 May 2009, 22:13   #6

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Hi Geoff / Shane

It's taken ten years of fishing from inflatables to arrive at the Futura. Incidentally, apart from the first Zodiac we bought (£50, with the most unreliable outboard ever, and seen more patches than a teachers elbow) we still own and use them all.

A big trailer based inflatable can never truly compete with the portability of a nice 3-3.5m example. That's why we still enjoy using a 3.6m Fastroller.

Where the Futura does score, is against our heavy 17ft fast fisher. We don't need a concrete slipway, it's just as fast, arguably safer, and costs naff all to run. And of course, it's a whole lot more fun and makes you feel alive!

As regards the fishing, we were out a couple of times last weekend. They were both recces, one drifting for Turbot and Brill (sh1t out) and the other checking out likely Stingray marks for the end of the month. The Bass are now showing in numbers, the bait fridge is full of live peelers....so things are looking good.

Either of you boys out this weekend?

Hi Spartacus

You are right, the engine is a Mariner. Only 30Hp though, does us fine. I had a good look at the Etecs the other week (40-50hp). Trim tilt and the slightly more refined running appealed....but at 109kg, no chance! The Mariner is only 49kg, so it stays. :-)

Anyone know where I can get some decals? I'm getting desperate now.

Hi Prairie Tuber

All the mod cons....well, only the ones we need. I'll see what I can do about a tripod and speargun. I'm sure we can chase down a porpoise or two. ;-0

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 21:20   #7

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
Hi Geoff / Shane

It's taken ten years of fishing from inflatables to arrive at the Futura. Incidentally, apart from the first Zodiac we bought (£50, with the most unreliable outboard ever, and seen more patches than a teachers elbow) we still own and use them all.

A big trailer based inflatable can never truly compete with the portability of a nice 3-3.5m example. That's why we still enjoy using a 3.6m Fastroller.

Where the Futura does score, is against our heavy 17ft fast fisher. We don't need a concrete slipway, it's just as fast, arguably safer, and costs naff all to run. And of course, it's a whole lot more fun and makes you feel alive!

As regards the fishing, we were out a couple of times last weekend. They were both recces, one drifting for Turbot and Brill (sh1t out) and the other checking out likely Stingray marks for the end of the month. The Bass are now showing in numbers, the bait fridge is full of live peelers....so things are looking good.

Either of you boys out this weekend?
I'm not out this weekend, too many jobs around the house. I did get out last weekend and had my best inflatable trip ever, 11 codling to myself, and one pouting.

I was wondering how you decide the range of your SIB. I have all the safety gear, and had put a range of 1.5 miles on myself, but am edging a litle further each time. My boat does 15 - 17 knots.
I know you go a long way out, but is that on an estuary? And how do you come on a range (out to sea) for a SIB?
Cheers,
Geoff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	42434   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0006.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	42435  
Old 11 May 2009, 12:32   #8

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
Hi Geoff / Shane

Either of you boys out this weekend? Hi there mate ,see what you mean about smaller sibs,they are great for getting in and about in .alass not been out for a while ,had a few beach fishing trips ,blanked just not the same as getting out on the dinghy ,aleast we catch lol,still only one mate who wants to go tho ,and when he is not available ,im stuck for transport ,and the winds at the mo ,doh,,,,,,,,still roll on ,gotta get out soon and try for smoothies and bass,,,,,,,,,stay lucky and good luck for when you are next out

Hi Spartacus

You are right, the engine is a Mariner. Only 30Hp though, does us fine. I had a good look at the Etecs the other week (40-50hp). Trim tilt and the slightly more refined running appealed....but at 109kg, no chance! The Mariner is only 49kg, so it stays. :-)

Hi Prairie Tuber

All the mod cons....well, only the ones we need. I'll see what I can do about a tripod and speargun. I'm sure we can chase down a porpoise or two. ;-0
Hi there mate ,see what you mean about smaller sibs,they are great for getting in and about in .alass not been out for a while ,had a few beach fishing trips ,blanked just not the same as getting out on the dinghy ,aleast we catch lol,still only one mate who wants to go tho ,and when he is not available ,im stuck for transport ,and the winds at the mo ,doh,,,,,,,,still roll on ,gotta get out soon and try for smoothies and bass,,,,,,,,,stay lucky and good luck for when you are next out
Old 08 June 2009, 15:05   #9

Town: Darlington
Boat name: Dory
Make: Crompton Seasprint
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 200 outboard
Zodiac

Hi, what size engine is that on your Zodiac?

Thanks

Lee
Old 08 June 2009, 19:32   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Hi, what size engine is that on your Zodiac?
Scroll up mate. It's a debadged Mariner 30hp.
Old 08 June 2009, 19:42   #11

RIBase
Quote:
I think your best bet would be to write a nice letter to EP Barrus, quoting the serial number of the engine and enclosing the picture of the boat. If their customer care is half decent - I'm sure you can come to some arrangement to purchase a set of decals. Normally these can retail for over £100, given they can be quite complex designs on top-quality UV resistant vinyl, with a number of over-printed colours.

Address: E.P. BARRUS LIMITED, Launton Road, Bicester, Oxfordshire, OX26 4UR